Who wants to meet up online? What shall we talk about?

Userlevel 7

It’s been a while since any forum members visited the OVO Bristol HQ office

It’s probably going to be a while till we can arrange another visit, but that doesn’t mean we can’t host an event. The question is - would you want an online discussion? If so, what would you want the agenda to be based on?

There’s been pretty much constant development of our online account experience. This bring up plenty of talking points. So much so that we’ve created its own private area to discuss and feedback on these changes. Would a meet up dedicated to this online portal be useful to you? There’s potential for really valuable insight to be gathered! 

We’ve had lots of Smart Home trialists join the community recently. Would a get together be useful for you to share your experience and to learn from other trialists on the equipment being fitted?

*Edited*: other discussion points (added by @Jequinlan) are:

• Power generation, the future technologies OVO are supporting to reduce Carbon further
  • Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

I’d love to get something booked in the calendar, to see some familiar faces, to meet others for the first time. Let me know what you think about this in the comments below, and complete the poll! 

Would you be keen to attend an online event hosted by and for OVO Forum community members?

93 replies

Userlevel 7

What do we think community members? 

@Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @Simon1D @Transparent @hydro_sam @TomThumb @NinjaGeek @juliamc @Rob Whitney 

Please tag anyone you think might be interested in this- keen to gauge the demand :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @Simon1D @Transparent @hydro_sam @TomThumb @NinjaGeek @juliamc @Rob Whitney 

Please tag anyone you think might be interested in this- keen to gauge the demand :blush:

Voted! Hell yes!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’d be happy to put in an appearance online, depending on timing of course, but generally I have flexibility.

Cheers

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Purely on a personal level, I would have decline.

But on a higher level, any such event, should provide a valuable insight to ovo & forum members alike.

I haven’t cast my vote as yet, as my answer would unfortunately cloud any result.

Tom...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You probably already know that I'm definitely up for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s also worth noting that this place is open to new ideas and there’s a lot of good stuff that comes up from the discussions. In some ways, it’d be great to be able to share some of the progress we’ve made.

There’s also a few members here who are well on the way to potentially being promoted to Super Users. While we don’t reveal the Sekrit Recipe that triggers the upgrade, I’m definitely more than happy to explain a bit more about what it means… And what I get up to with Tim behind the scenes…

I’m also going to broadcast this thread to the other@hydrosam , @SianiAnni , @PeterR1947 @hecate , @kwick1 and @kihon . I think there could be more still. But that’s the best I can think up right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In actual fact, one of the other things that might be good to bring up would be how you guys get on with the experience of using the inSided platform here as well. They’re really good with us and they absolutely love getting ideas, bug reports and feedback off users.

So if you’ve got any thoughts on using the actual forum itself, that’d be a good one to talk about. And maybe a few other random surprises we might throw in...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Excellent idea, I’m definitely up for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge

A virtual meet up of some of the trialists with those running the schemes would be great to get feedback in both directions. . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

meet up of some of the trialists with those running the schemes

You’re joking, aren’t you? :hugging:

If they’ve read even half of what’s been posted thus far by you and the other Heat Pump Trialists, there’s no way the organisers want to pop their head above the parapet!

Userlevel 7
Badge

meet up of some of the trialists with those running the schemes

You’re joking, aren’t you? :hugging:

If they’ve read even half of what’s been posted thus far by you and the other Heat Pump Trialists, there’s no way the organisers want to pop their head above the parapet!

I was trying to lure them in 😂

and I can provide constructive feedback 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Interesting IET webinar on heat pumps yesterday by https://les.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/homeowners/our-heat-pumps and a recommended report “Delivering Net Zero: A roadmap for the role of heat pumps”

Didn’t realise their efficiency was 320%

Speaker said should be able to install one for £9K but most installers charge £11K

I can’t imagine the disruption caused doing a retrofit though

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well I hope you’re an expert in creating lures!

Let’s note that @Jequinlan has already accepted the invitation and Kaluza left him without either of his EV chargers working for six weeks!

I too have some constructive feedback to provide, but past experience doesn’t bode well. Even when I turn up at the Bristol HQ, anyone I want to meet with outside of the Moderator Team has suddenly got meetings all day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Erm @PeterR1947 you don’t have to imagine the disruption caused during a retrofit, just get @Tim_OVO to give access to the Smart Home Treehouse and you’ll be able to read all about it with lots of photographic support!

We’ve just opened up a new Topic area specifically for discussion about Installation. It’s very much part of the Trial feedback.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO and thanks to @Blastoise186 for incuding me.

I might be interested in discussing the online experience - there’s plenty to talk about. Not so much with smart home or heat pumps.

Whatever you decide, I’d beg for setting out the aims and expected outcomes in advance. I’ve wasted too much time professionally in pointless meetings where no one really knows what they are there for - or everyone has their own different idea...

Userlevel 7

Thanks for everyone who’s voted and left a comment to tell me what they think. It’s a 100% vote Yes on the poll so far. But only because @TomThumb abstained :wink:

I think @hecate makes a really good point on having a clear agenda BEFORE the session is booked in. A clear agenda, confirmed duration, time and date, and platform choice will all need to be agreed and outlined. But once that’s all done, there’s no reason why we can’t follow the same template for subsequent events, perhaps on a monthly basis. As for the platform, we’ll be using one that’s secure, ideally one that’s cloud based, and that doesn’t make sharing of email addresses or names a requirement. 

I think we have two camps forming over what people would want to discuss for this first online event. @hydrosam and @Transparent and I’m sure other Smart Home Trial participants would welcome a chance to discuss the latest, especially if we could arrange for trial administrators to attend. As this hasn’t been agreed yet, we should probably have this as a potential agenda for our second event. This has the added benefit of allowing more trialists to join, who as of yet haven’t had their equipment installed (@NinjaGeek might fall in this camp), so it’s definitely worth holding off on this one till more trialists have joined the ‘fray’, I mean, join the ‘discussion’ ;)

I’d love to dedicate the first event to something any OVO member can participate in, and a discussion about the online account / portal, which is for most, the bridge between our members and us as their energy supplier, seems like an obvious one to consider. I’d like to hear if there’s consensus over the features that work well, and those that you feel should be prioritised for improvement, and the reasons why. @Blastoise186 @Simon1D @hecate you’ve all mentioned this as being your preferred subject matter. @Jequinlan @Transparent what are your thoughts?

Whilst we’re at it, can members outline which days of the week, and which times, are usually better. I’d suggest a 1 hour session first up, so bear that in mind when letting me know your preferences. Also any platform recommendations, please share them with the group. :turtle:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi.

I would like to add to future discussions:

Power generation, the future technologies Ovo are supporting to reduce Carbon further

Direct debits and billing, the future of more accurate DD forecasts with bi directional energy.

I am available most weekdays somewhere between 12 and 2 (just need sight 2 to 3 weeks ahead), 4 to 5pm most weekdays and almost all 48hrs at weekend.

Am very excited 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I can rarely predict my availability more than a couple of weeks ahead - the complete opposite of @Jequinlan. So it’s best if we fix a time/date and I’ll have something to put in my diary further ahead than anything else. :slight_smile:

Try to avoid Wednesdays coz that’s reserved for family stuff.

As for the platform: 9¾ would be great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Oh for platforms, Zoom is about as good as it gets these days. And there is no need to register to join.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, Zoom doesn’t work for me as it crashes out on my connection too much - especially with larger calls. Jitsi Meet would also be more appropriate in this case than Google Meet (otherwise Google Meet might leak personal info which we don’t want to reveal to each other!). There’s no need for an account or any downloads - you just go to the website and fire up the meeting (the invite link can be pre-agreed ahead of time to be whatever we want it to be). It also lets you set whatever display name you want and doesn’t ask for ANY personal info at all, so it’s probably the most privacy friendly platform I know of.

As for times, I’m pretty open for the most part. Any day except Thursdays really.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ahh, I looked at Jitsi Meet and sadly it fails on the Data Security policy and server hosting locations for a secure meeting (well, for UK standards) - Let’s keep discussing options!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not if you self-host your own instance! :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, trying to figure something out isn’t the easiest. Zoom is even worse because it hoovers up more personal info that I’d be willing to share. Jitsi might not be appropriate for sekrit bank meetings, but is probably acceptable for a community event like this one.

Google Meet and Microsoft Teams don’t necessarily work as well for this, but I can try to mess with Google Meet to see if I can figure out some magic tricks. I think there’s a way to do it without having guests reveal any personal stuff, but I’ll need to check.

Luckily at least, I have my own G Suite/Google Workspace tenant that I can play with for this. Leave that with me.

Found it! https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9303069 has the solution. Basically, as long as @Tim_OVO created the meeting and didn’t directly invite people via Google Calendar, it’s possible to join without logging in (this only works if the organiser has G Suite/Google Workspace). I’ll need to see how much info it tries to share if someone is signed in. Luckily for me, I’ve got ways to do that...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, it needs to be secure. If I bring cream-tea to the Meet, I don’t want any hostiles reverse-engineering my jam recipe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your yokes are getting scrambled mate! It’s a shame they’re not as sticky as honey, otherwise the bees would come after ya! :rofl:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No probs. I try and behive myself