Poll

What type of events do you want us to run?

• 19 November 2021
  • 14 replies
What type of events do you want us to run?
Userlevel 7

Have your say on OVO Forum events

We’ve got our latest ‘Ask me anything’ event coming up on the 7th December, with Kaluza’s Robin Abraham. Check it out and RSVP here:

Ask Robin a question here:

You can see a list of all our previous events on our new Event widget here.

We want to hear from you about these online events: 

Do you like the ‘Ask me anything’ format? Do you want us to have a different format and approach? Member led sessions? Discussions, with break out rooms?

What’s your preference? Let us know in the poll below. In this poll, it only lets you choose 1 option, so keep that choice as your favorite event type. What happens if you have more then one preference? Please leave a comment to let us know all the types of event on the list you like the sound of! 

What type of OVO Forum event would you like to attend?

14 replies

Userlevel 7

I’ve tagged you as you’ve attended an online OVO Forum event this year. Let us know your vote for future events in the poll above! If we don’t get many votes for these we’ll assume these events aren’t your thing and factor that in to our plans.

We’re really keen to understand what’s popular, and what’s not. Any context for your decision would be great in a comment to help us understand the demand. :)

Excuse the mass tagging, every one of you has RSVP’d to events before, so we want to hear from you all: @EverythingNeedsAUserName @PeterR1947 @NinjaGeek @hydrosam @juliamc @Rob Whitney @hecate @Transparent @Simon1D @Jequinlan @Blastoise186 @ArundaleP @nealmurphy @SandraAA @alexb @Gingernut49 @sylm_2000 @tesla_model_3 @greengrazer @Speps @jenthomson @James_N @jason.lewis @Jeffus @chriswsmith 

Userlevel 6
Badge

@Tim_OVO  I think the issue I have is the time of day for these sessions. During work time I am really struggling to make these events, but if they were to be at lunch time or after 5 I would stand a much better chance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

'Ask me anything' sessions with OVO VIP guests - YES

Member guest speaker presentations - INTERESTING IDEA. We have some very learned members doing some exciting things.

In-office VIP day - WHAT’S ONE OF THOSE?

So far the AMAs have been interesting and make me wish I was just starting work, and in a different industry than I was.  I hope that in some small way the questions submitted make the presenters think and perhaps even do something different and beneficial.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well, put simply… The Forum VIP Day at OVO’s head office in Bristol is probably the ultimate and most overpowered event type possible. It’s happened before but had to be put on hold this year and last year due to pesky lockdowns.

But when they do happen, you actually get to meet Tim and Jess in person and put a face to the name. Oh, and trust me… Tim’s hairstyle no longer matches his avatar here! XD

You also get to enjoy some of the more… Unusual… Meeting rooms that OVO has set up. And yes, you get to try out the slide from the treehouse as well. I’ve seen one of the meeting rooms via a video conference camera so far (a very overpowered one that makes everyone in the room look tiny!), albeit the one that’s actually a bit more “standard” and happens to be right next to loads of noisy stuff. But I’ve never been there in person.

It is also said that a few special guests from around the HQ stop by to say hi as well...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Blastoise186 that seems quite a day out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It definitely is.

I can’t tell you how good it is from personal experience, as I wasn’t around when any of the previous ones happened. But Tim already knows I’m up for it once he can eventually set up another one.

Userlevel 7

'Ask me anything' sessions with OVO VIP guests - YES

:ballot_box_with_check:

It’s good to hear there’s some demand for these event types. Looking forward to seeing you on the 7th, @EverythingNeedsAUserName 

Member guest speaker presentations - INTERESTING IDEA. We have some very learned members doing some exciting things.

Yes I very much agree. I’d love to set something up with a group of interested members, and a thought leader in their area sharing some of their insights. Let’s see how popular this idea is on the poll and see if we get any leads to follow up on in the comments…

In-office VIP day - WHAT’S ONE OF THOSE?

Ahhhh yes @Blastoise186 has this covered. We’ve actually got an archived topic detailing one of our previous VIP days:

We can shape any future VIP day depending on what our aims are and what we all want to get out of it. But this is a reminder of what options we have, if there’s demand for it!

I think the issue I have is the time of day for these sessions. During work time I am really struggling to make these events, but if they were to be at lunch time or after 5 I would stand a much better chance.

Thanks @jason.lewis - this is really good insight. 16:30 has tended to be the start time for these events. I’m keen to hear if a 17:00 or 17:30 event is preferred, and a good option to consider there: a lunch time session. Keen to hear more on this, but perhaps we’ll look to push the first 2022 event back a bit later to start with...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is there any possibility of having an AMA in person with an OVO Director/Manager/strategist at Bristol HQ?

There’s a gap between the sort of ideas, wish-lists and aspirations being discussed here on the Forum and what the company seems intent on delivering!

We need to bridge that gap if we’re going to achieve the joint aims of saving the planet and restoring OVO to the exciting/innovative company it used to be.

Userlevel 7

Is there any possibility of having an AMA in person with an OVO Director/Manager/strategist at Bristol HQ?

There’s a gap between the sort of ideas, wish-lists and aspirations being discussed here on the Forum and what the company seems intent on delivering!

We need to bridge that gap if we’re going to achieve the joint aims of saving the planet and restoring OVO to the exciting/innovative company it used to be.

I’d be open to all suggestions for a potential VIP day, including the agenda and intended guests. Such a day will only be possible if there’s real demand for it here (yet to be confirmed with the poll results), and clear goals for the session. 

If a long standing OVO member such as yourself, @Transparent, is of the opinion that OVO’s intentions are falling short of the mark, then I can see real value in getting the likes of you in a room with someone able to outline the company’s strategies. For now, perhaps a look at our recent Plan Zero 2020 Report might help…

What else would you like to see, take part in, and take away from an OVO VIP day @Transparent? How about you, @Blastoise186 - what would be the top 3 activities and people you’d like to meet? 

Keep the feedback coming in everyone. Please vote, even if you’ve not attended a session before, and we’ll use this to determine what we put our efforts into. 

:) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A VIP day isn't much use to me in the North East of England. 

I'm easy on timing. 

Not a lot of help, sorry 😏

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Another thought… if OVO are willing to push hard on a few doors and help the country migrate towards Net Zero, then how about a:

Feedback Day for the Heat pump Trial participants

Date: Spring ‘22 to ensure that the early installations are included

Venue: Hotel around SW London M25/M3 area (Guildford?)

Format: Seminar-style with panel consisting of

• Anna Lewis, Smart Home Team leader
  • Alex Hobley (BEIS, Energy Innovation Project Manager)
  • Robin Abraham (Kaluza Flex development)
  • Retrofitworks (installation oversight)
  • Energy Systems Catapult (project oversight)
  • DeltaEE (data analysis)
  • Daikin, Mitsubishi etc (manufacturers)
  • Electricity Networks Association (representing DNOs)

Aims:

1. Propose a quality/competence standard to which Heat pump Installers must adhere. Similar thinking to MCS for domestic renewable generation equipment.
  2. Legal structure to ensure that systems are optimised over a period of weeks rather than just commissioned on the final day of installation.
  3. Legal structure to ensure that Installations meet the minimum COP (efficiency level) which the company calculated/stated prior to work commencing.
  4. Ombudsman system for complaints to avoid customers needing to use High Court claims process.
  5. Share best-practice for insulation standards, and discuss a possible list of approved suppliers/manufacturers
  6. Share minimum requirements for control/monitoring devices
  7. Establish minimum requirement for customer documentation and ‘training’ to satisfy Building Regulations Part L
  8. Discuss levels of stored energy required, and grid-loading during times of peak demand.

To be 100% funded by BEIS :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Transparent sounds like more than a day’s worth there.

I’d like to add in your question from last year: Where’s all this electricity coming from ?

And: Where are all the heat pump installers coming from ?

And: Start an apprenticeship scheme in how to insulate said heat pump’s pipework properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@juliamc  - As this is new territory for almost everyone, we could propose some fairly far-reaching strategies.

For example, what about combining the concept of an Ombudsman and an Organisation that defines the required standards for domestic heat-pump installations which involve grants (subsidies from public-funds)?

After all, electricians already have recognised Standards Bodies like Elecsa and NICEIC within which there are sub-categories, such as whether they have qualifications to install EV Charge Points. And Gas-Safe accreditation is well respected on all sides.

This goes back to the concept of Guilds, which arose during the industrial revolution.

• The Guild has inspectors who can perform site-inspections of Members’ work.
  • The Guild ensures that Standards are formed, published and easily accessible.
  • The Guild negotiates for the types of insurance required by its members.
  • The Guild defines apprenticeships and levels of skill/knowledge required to safely undertake particular parts of installation work.
Userlevel 7

Some fascinating ideas, @Transparent :) 

I can imagine there would be real value in getting all of these people, and representatives from all these organisations, in the same room. That said, I’m thankful I don’t have a mammoth event such as this on my to do list to organise, I must say! 

OVO are keen to hear from trialists, we’re already hearing from them via private research projects, and on the OVO Forum via private and public topic threads. We would love to know if an idea like this is a shared one.

Today we’ve just published the first 3 topic threads on behalf of the OVO Research team. For anyone with access to our Smart Home Trials private area, find these here and let us know your first hand experience (as you already have been since day one of course):