News

Sign our petition and call for more trees!

• 30 November 2020
  • 44 replies
Sign our petition and call for more trees!
Userlevel 7

Sign our tree-planting petition today

View and sign our petition here 

We need to plant 116 square miles of trees a year to reach net zero – right now, the UK only plants 52! Let’s change that by urging the Government to adopt a legally binding tree-planting target.

We’ve created a blog post with more info which you can find here.

View and sign our petition here 

Spread the word to get more people to sign: #moretreesplease #signtreespetition

I’ll also be sharing a resource soon, which makes it easier to spread the word about this via social media. Remember to get to zero emissions, we need community powered teamwork! 

:evergreen_tree::deciduous_tree::palm_tree:

44 replies

Userlevel 7

Digital toolkit for spreading the word

When you sign the petition (here), the Government website will give you the option of sharing on your social media. This is fine to do but we have designed some bespoke assets to further help spread the word and get the message across.

If any of our regulars are on one of these social platforms, please consider helping to spread our message about getting this tree planting commitment put into law! :evergreen_tree:@Transparent :herb: @Jequinlan:evergreen_tree: @NinjaGeek:christmas_tree: @Blastoise186 :deciduous_tree:

Social media assets

We have designed the following assets so they can be used in both a professional and personal capacity, either on your company’s social media or your own. 

They are not sequential (except the IG story) so you are free to post in any order and however many you like. 

These are just suggestions, but for any posts around the Petition we would recommend: 

• Sharing the creative & corresponding post copy (the templated post copy is the same across all channels except Twitter - we have shortened to 280 characters)

• Always including the hashtag: #signtreespetition & #moretreesplease

• Always including the link to the petition 

• Tag any people or organisations you would specifically like to engage with the post, to help amplify it further. 

We have created 5 posts for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. 

POST 1 COPY

Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊. We need to plant over 90 million every year to reach net-zero by 2050 💚

I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment 💪

Please sign 🖋 it too: https://bit.ly/375GjQ5

#signtreespetition

#moretreesplease

ALT for BUSINESSES

We’ve just signed this petition…”

Twitter

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊. I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment 💪Please sign 🖋 it too: https://bit.ly/375GjQ5

#signtreespetition #moretreesplease

POST 2 COPY

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊. We need to plant over 90 million every year to reach net-zero by 2050 💚

I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment 💪

#signtreespetition

#moretreesplease

ALT for BUSINESSES

TWITTER 

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊. I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment 💪Please sign 🖋 it too: https://bit.ly/375GjQ5

POST 3 COPY

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊. We need to increase our tree cover from 13% to 17% if we want to each net-zero by 2050 💚

#signtreespetition

#moretreesplease

ALT for BUSINESSES

TWITTER 

POST 4 COPY

The Government has promised to plant 30,000 hectares of trees 🌳 each year. In 2018-19 they only planted about 13,000 👎 

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊.  We need to plant over 90 million every year to reach net-zero by 2050 💚

I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment. 

#signtreespetition

#moretreesplease

ALT for BUSINESSES

TWITTER 

POST 5 COPY

The Government has promised to plant 30,000 hectares of trees 🌳 each year. In 2018-19 they only planted 13,000 hectares 👎 

Trees 🌳 are our most important friends 🤝in our fight against the climate crisis ✊.  We need to plant over 90 million every year to reach net-zero by 2050 💚

I’ve just signed this petition calling on the Government to commit to a legally binding tree-planting commitment. 

#signtreespetition

#moretreesplease

ALT for BUSINESSES

TWITTER 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately… No social media! I don’t use any myself. :grin:

But an interesting petition either way, I’ll take a look tonight

Userlevel 7

No worries, @Blastoise186 - please consider signing that petition later. 

Here’s something we made for National Tree Week 2020:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Done, shared and signed. Truly worthy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, I too don’t use social media.

Although earlier today I wanted to look up a location near where @Jequinlan lives and Google maps couldn’t find it. So I clicked the Images button… and received a couple of dinosaur pictures from his Twitter account!  It’s amazing what wildlife you can find in Surrey. :wink:

On a positive note, I am in an area where I can readily plant trees. I allow saplings to grow in the garden and then relocate them to gaps in local hedgerows when out for walks.

There’s an oak about 1m tall that’s sprung up amongst the rhubarb, so that’ll soon find itself moved to a more suitable location.

Userlevel 7

On a positive note, I am in an area where I can readily plant trees. I allow saplings to grow in the garden and then relocate them to gaps in local hedgerows when out for walks.

There’s an oak about 1m tall that’s sprung up amongst the rhubarb, so that’ll soon find itself moved to a more suitable location.

This is a brilliant DIY approach, @Transparent - such a good idea! Don’t forget to also sign the petition here though :wink:

Can I ask though: trees seem to be pretty vulnerable at a ‘young’ age. Why do they need an array of man made protections? Will yours suffer without them?

On Purdown in Bristol (beautiful open area of grassland and woods, there's a field of newly planted trees. Each one has a wooden and metal fenced cage, plastic coverings of the trunk, supporting straps. Seems a bit overkill considering trees covered the planet and were around a long time before plastic was ever invented. Assume there's logic there though…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think I remember being told the reason for that a long time ago. :relaxed:

From memory, newly planted trees are often protected in that way to help prevent them from being damaged by things like lawn mowers or tractors running over them (yes, this can happen!). It’s not done everywhere, but is more likely in places where there’s a higher risk.

And I think it’s also something to do with helping to protect them from being damaged by dogs as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, I agree that very young trees need protection. When I put these into an existing hedge I would normally choose a spot with adjacent plants that will keep them “safe”. Hawthorn, Blackthorn and Blackberry/bramble are good for this. Their thorns deter animals (incl children!) from getting too close, and yet they are species which will eventually be dwarfed by the mature tree.

I actually plant out more Blackthorn too. That’s not just that it’s an excellent hedgerow species, but because I also like having sloes nearby!

I don’t like seeing new saplings being planted out within a tube of corrugated plastic, however. It is usually effective at preventing damage to the plant, but unless there is a properly-scheduled system to remove the tube in year-3, then it will restrict the main stem from growing. There’s a group local to me who go out with tools specifically to “rescue” these trees, which would otherwise die.

Did you know that it’s possible to tell the approximate age of a natural hedgerow?

You take a random 100m length and count the number of woody species in it. Each one is roughly equivalent to 70 years.

This is best done using lots of input from young children/grand-children who will probably also discover lots more about what lives in hedges whilst they’re busy counting woody species!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the tag @Tim_OVO I will sign the petition and share on Twitter using my gaming channel account due to it having a lot of followers.

Userlevel 7

Whilst walking the collies, I spotted this, at the foot of a field on a hill, on a public footpath by a fence. 

That’s no place for a tree to be, long term. But what do do with it. ps is it actually a tree? 

Sapling or sapnot?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If the photo had a high-enough resolution, we could tell what it is. It’s quite tricky when the stem is only 2 pixels wide! :wink:

Userlevel 7

have some of that:

Not oak that’s for sure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Common Alder, Alnus glutinosa, I think. Note how the right and left veins can be staggered in their intersection with the central vein.

But those dark patches on the leaf suggest it’s not too healthy. If that’s “tar spot fungal infection” then spray with very dilute copper sulphate on the new leaves in spring.

Userlevel 7

Good morning community members!

Took a walk in Bristol yesterday, up on the downs, seeing some gorge goats, had a mince pie. 

Anyway on my way back, I saw this peculiar tree, with what looked like a shaved trunk:

bare to the bone

Hopefully this wasn’t done to allow for slightly more parking space….. @Transparent seen this before?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @Tim_OVO - although this isn’t a good example!

Have a look online at the word “pollarding”.

And while you’re at it, look up “coppicing”. That technique is making a comeback because it can be used to create wood-chips for fuel with just a 3-year crop cycle.

Userlevel 7

Have a look online at the word “pollarding”.

And while you’re at it, look up “coppicing”. That technique is making a comeback because it can be used to create wood-chips for fuel with just a 3-year crop cycle.

Thanks for the reply, @Transparent - that was the same response I was given when I showed this picture to my partner. However it’s not the top of the tree I’m pointing you to. 

Look at the bottom half of the tree trunk - that’s not pollarding as well is it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The bottom half of the tree is what the trunk would look like if it hadn’t been pollarded 2m up.

Once the branches were cut, they produced a lot of sideways growth from those cuts. That growth was again pollarded, so you end up with a lot of “clumps” from which the tree then grows.

Userlevel 7

Oh wow, got it. One follow up question: why is the bottom section of the trunk not swollen up like the rest of it? Such a stark contrast. 

It looks like it’s been unwrapped from it’s darker, crusty coasting… :deciduous_tree:  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Pollarding sends all the nutrients to make new growth where the cuts have been made. Those thicker clumps are basically composed of what would’ve been the upper parts of the main trunk if it had been allowed to grow straight up.

Userlevel 7

Will this darker outer shell be slowing growing downwards @Transparent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I doubt it. Remember that it would have to grow by putting out new shoots. These are much more likely to be on the upper side and grow towards the light.

Userlevel 7

Nearly at 3000 signatures for our tree planting petition

Please share this far and wide: 10,000  is our first target to reach…..

:deciduous_tree:

Userlevel 7

This is interesting, according to the calculations discussed, turning the Sahara and the Australian Outback into forests (via some serious amounts of desalination) might not actually be worth the energy and costs involved.

One interesting side effect on climate change is the reduced albedo: it turns out that desert actually reflects heat and energy much like ice does, meaning less desert results in more heat being absorbed. 

What this doesn’t cover is the vast amounts of re-wilding that would happen if these spaces came back to life. Turning a vast desert into a forest should factor in this as a huge benefit worth the costs, especially as technology for desalination and solar might reduce further as the years go on. 

Thoughts welcome:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hmmm… We could start closer to home!

Have a look at this photo of Dartmoor Forest:

Dartmoor looking east towards Torbay

And I’ll venture to suggest that the native oaks were removed not so long ago. Where do you think the timber came from to build all those ships at Plymouth/Devonport in the time of Sir Francis Drake and the lead-up to the Napoleonic Wars?!

Now I realise it’s a National Park and that we’re already working hard to restore the peat-bogs and sphagnum beds on the higher moor. But if we’re fighting a climate crisis, then we can’t say that that no part of our National Parks can be used to store more carbon in the form of trees!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Of coure, Napoleon could’ve been playing the long game.

“We” might have won Waterloo, but I now have to buy in my oak from France!  :slight_frown: