Online meet up for May 2021 - get your vote in!

Online meet up for May 2021 - get your vote in!

Show first post

59 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

50 minutes till we start, community members - see you there!

@jenthomson @Speps @Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @tesla_model_3 @NinjaGeek @greengrazer @hydrosam @Simon1D @Transparent @Gingernut49 @alexb @SandraAA @juliamc @sylm_2000 @ArundaleP @EverythingNeedsAUserName @Jess_OVO 

:hourglass_flowing_sand:

Sorry I missed this. Was during work time so wasn't able to make it in the end

Userlevel 4
Badge

Those are valid points @EverythingNeedsAUserName .

I did start a tutorial on the open part of the Forum called Using a Heat Pump, which draws heavily on the discussions being held by trial participants within the Smart Home Treehouse.

I deliberately avoided any content which was derived from particular trial sites. Nevertheless some of the participants did decide to comment about aspects of their Heat pump installations in the follow-up discussions to that tutorial. That’s why I responded more extensively on the important matter of those trial sites lacking storage for the space-heating of their homes.

You wrote:

I don’t even know what trials OVO are running and how many people are involved.

There I can help further regarding four particular trials.

1: The V2G charger Trial was not discussed in a private Treehouse area. So you can view comments from participants during the past 2 years that the trial has been active.

The original intention was to have about 1000 trial sites, all with Nissan Leaf cars.

The installation time, costs and level of expertise required on-site were underestimated. This meant that the installation budget was used up when around 450 V2G sites had been activated.

The trial term is now completed for those who started first. There is no follow-on product in the UK and no licensing for control of the charger to be continued by Kaluza if the customers wish to switch to another Energy Supplier. You can read what the participants are saying and doing about this on the topic Should I stay or should I go?

The V2G technology developed by OVO/Kaluza is now being made available by the Australian Energy Supplier AGL.

2: Sönnen Storage Battery Trial. This was commenced in partnership with the DNO, Western Power Distribution. It operates only in an area south and east of Lincoln.

The trial was required because WPD had power-constraints on two Distribution Grid feeds serving the area, one at 32kV and the other at 11kV. That was creating a significant drop in line-voltage during the early-evening peak. I have access to the Distribution Network Map for the Trial area, but am unable to post it here for licensing reasons.

To overcome this power constraint by a network upgrade would be prohibitively expensive, involving the need for an entirely new Bulk Supply Point (BSP) transformer. A 32kV feed from a BSP would normally serve an area with around 20,000 - 40,000 homes.

The obvious alternative was to place a number of Battery Storage devices in customer homes. These would supply energy during peak demand periods and could be replenished slowly at other times of day & night.

It is necessary for WPD to involve end-users because their Ofgem Distribution Licence forbids any DNO from owning generation, storage and grid-export devices themselves.

I don’t know the exact numbers involved, but a reasonable guess would be less than 100 properties.

All battery management is undertaken remotely using the Flex Platform

3: The Zero Carbon Heating Trial was the one you heard about most during today’s video link-up. It is one of three such trials being totally funded by the Government’s Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Dept (BEIS). OVO won a contract to administer a trial in SE England in the regions where UKPN and SSEN are the DNOs.

Each of the three trials are to recruit 250 participants split across a defined set of social and housing backgrounds. One of the trial participants has helpfully posted some slides from a BEIS seminar about this trial within the Treehouse. As it’s 100% publicly-funded I don’t think there can be any objection to me re-posting it here!

4: PowerVault Battery Storage Trial. This is the smallest of the current trials and not yet operational. You can read the OVO announcement to see the background details.

It uses 24 trial sites, two of which have 8kWh batteries and the others have 4kWh. All sites have PV Solar Panels.

PowerVault is a UK company who have put extensive R&D into an off-site central management system. This allows end-users to decide how and when their battery should receive import from the Distribution Grid in addition to electricity sourced from their PV arrays.

It is not yet known how Kaluza might be able to add any benefit to this using their Flex Platform. The PowerVault software already handles the system such that a site minimises its grid demand during the early-evening peak.

Thanks for the summary of what I missed.

@Tim_OVO  would I be able to participate in trials 3 or 4 above please?

Hello!

I would vote for any of these options, but I am most interested in the smart home. can we wait for the June meeting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @rupalimittra ! I see you’ve just joined us. :)

The May event has already taken place but we don’t yet have anything set up for June. I think Tim is currently working on what the next topic might be, but we’ll keep you posted.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the summary of what I missed.

@Tim_OVO  would I be able to participate in trials 3 or 4 above please?

I would vote for any of these options, but I am most interested in the smart home. can we wait for the June meeting?

Sad we missed you both at our last event, @tesla_model_3 and @rupalimittra  - glad to hear you’re both keen to learn more about making your home Smart though!

Unfortunately both the Zero Carbon Heating Trial and the Powervault battery Trial are in the next phase so aren’t taking new applications right now, @tesla_model_3. We’ll be posting up some more public posts about the lessons being learned from these trials soon though - so keep your eyes peeled on our Smart Home area to learn more about what you might need to consider before investing in this new Smart Home technology.

We’ll most certainly be planning another online community event soon and will of course run another poll to see what everyone wants to talk about next time - just need to make sure we give everyone plenty of notice and choose a time that doesn’t clash with too many summer staycation plans! :sunglasses:

Userlevel 4
Badge

Unfortunately both the Zero Carbon Heating Trial and the Powervault battery Trial are in the next phase so aren’t taking new applications right now, @tesla_model_3. We’ll be posting up some more public posts about the lessons being learned from these trials soon though - so keep your eyes peeled on our Smart Home area to learn more about what you might need to consider before investing in this new Smart Home technology.

Shame I always seem to miss out on these trials. Are there any new ones planned please?

Userlevel 7

Shame I always seem to miss out on these trials. Are there any new ones planned please?

Nice to hear you’re keen to participate in one of our trials, @tesla_model_3.

We don’t have any upcoming trials at the moment but it’s worth keeping an eye on the Smart Home page of our website as this is where any new trial will be launched - we’ll obviously keep this community updated as well so we’ll be sure to tag you if anything new gets launched! :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7

We’ll most certainly be planning another online community event soon and will of course run another poll to see what everyone wants to talk about next time - just need to make sure we give everyone plenty of notice and choose a time that doesn’t clash with too many summer staycation plans! :sunglasses:

Hi folks, 

A quick update here from me about our next online meet up.

I’m definitely keen to host another session soon, and I’m ready to put the work in to make it happen. I feel that it’s a different dynamic to interacting online on public threads, and it allows for more meaningful conversation, and all that good stuff. 

There’s a few staycation plans coming up in June, so I’m targeting a July event. I’m aware that July might be a busy month for people if conditions allow for trips or activities that were previously not possible. Hence why I’m hesitant to reach out now for a fixed date until we have more to go on. 

The key thing for me is that it’s an event that’s worth your time. A guest speaker has been suggested before, and I agree that would be fantastic. It’s also a nice idea as it’s a different format. I can’t promise this for the next one as I’m not sure on feasibility, unless it was someone who’s already a community member…….. *queue the volunteers*

Jess also had an idea of potential break out rooms. So 2 or 3 virtual rooms you can join, to allow a small scale conversation about a particular subject. I’m aware that our first two events have enough people to warrant relatively strict rules about when to have ‘the floor’. This helps to avoid people being talked over or to dominate, but I feel it tends to hurt a natural conversational flow. So I’d welcome opinions on this!

As for a subject matter, the obvious option is to ask you about the two choices that weren’t selected in the last poll:

1. The power sources of tomorrow

1. Time of use (TOU) tariffs: what, why, how

Yes, no, something else. Let’s get the conversation started as once we know the agenda, we can reach out with a date to get everything booked in. 

Thanks,
Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Google Meet should support Breakout Rooms just fine, but it’s a feature I’ve never really played with much. I’ll grab some of my test accounts and see what I can do. :)