Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything with Simon Maine - submit your questions ahead of our August event

Ask Me Anything with Simon Maine - submit your questions ahead of our August event
Userlevel 7

Updated on 10/09/21 by Tim_OVO: See the questions that were answered by Simon here:

Get your questions in!

We’re really excited about our upcoming ‘Ask My Anything’ event with OVO Energy’s Director of Corporate Affairs, Simon Maine. RSVP to this event here:

Here’s a little bit about Simon from the man himself: 

“Hi OVO Forum Members, 

I’m excited to meet you and hear your questions at the upcoming OVO Forum event in August. 

I’ve worked in low carbon energy for the whole of my career, first in politics, then in finance and latterly in communications. I'm currently Director of Corporate Affairs for OVO which encompasses responsibility for media relations, corporate social media, political engagement and sustainability.

We are the eyes and ears of the company for issues affecting the energy transition and the impact these might have for our members. I'm happy to talk about political milestones affecting the energy industry, technology trends and what you might expect to see in the future from OVO at a business level.

See you on August the 3rd,

Simon”

Please submit some questions that you have for Simon in the comments section below, and we can use these as a template to structure the event. As you can see above, he’s an industry expert. So don’t be shy!

I’m really looking forward to this one, and I think we can spark some great conversations and debate as we all strive to live greener lives and work towards zero carbon living. 

See you all there at 16:30 on August the 3rd!

30 replies

Userlevel 7

A quick tag for our Plan Zero Heroes and regulars, I know some of you need lots of notice to be available and really hoping you can make this event:

@Transparent @Blastoise186 @Jequinlan @NinjaGeek @PeterR1947 @hydrosam @juliamc @sylm_2000 @ArundaleP @D10hul @MikeE @Simon1D @Gingernut49 @nealmurphy @MrPuds @mrmojorisin04 @Andras @jp1 @Rob Whitney @hecate @tesla_model_3 @EverythingNeedsAUserName @tony1tf @knight @gmmarcin @Jason lewis @Thurion @James_N @SandraAA @Leo Moran @jenthomson @JMB @Mikeyoung @SianiAnni @TomThumb @NoPoke @Spritepixie @Sam72 @MrsH @Ajk @Snorbins @TomatoPlant @TheBatsWhiskers @martinkressman @Glaikit @48havelock @TheEpicBlob 

Post your questions for Simon below. But don’t worry you’ll get a chance to ask him questions directly on the day!

We’ll do our best to answer all questions, and as you can imagine he won’t be in a position to help with account specific queries. 

See you on August the 3rd! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm… So many possible questions… I’m going to have to really think deep about this one!

Userlevel 6
Badge

As one of the top energy Suppliers, 

To help people transition to different energy solutions, would it be viable to expand OVO in to energy solutions ? 

I.e. allowing people to have battery and or solar and ev installations as parts of their OVO account ? and pay in monthly instalment through the OVO account ?

I tried to keep it short and sweet !!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You know what, I’m going to throw a curveball in here and bring up a completely random question that will probably throw Simon into a pitfall trap. So here goes…

How did Tim and Jess manage to convince you to take part in this event, Simon? XD

What do you think about the potential to implement the use of Battery Swapping technology for things like Electric Vehicles, especially the ability to pull up at any battery swap station, get your current battery swapped out for a freshly charged one and be back on the road in under five minutes?

And I guess my other one is this. If you were to create a new smart meter manufacturer and had the power to decide what the naming scheme for your products should be, what would you use… And why? :rofl:

And just because this is an Ask Me Anything… What’s your favourite breed of dog? :P

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Aside:

@EverythingNeedsAUserName - could you have a look at the current discussion on gas future pricing, hydrogen etc, and see if there’s anything you wish to comment there?

Does anything there prompt you to re-emphasise or modify the question you’ve just put forward above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I love how I can hide even more questions right in plain sight, and yet Tim still misses them despite knowing about some of my pranks and jokes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like this one. Simon, what’s your thoughts on the future of this forum? And Tim’s job?

Userlevel 7

I love how I can hide even more questions right in plain sight, and yet Tim still misses them despite knowing about some of my pranks and jokes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like this one. Simon, what’s your thoughts on the future of this forum? And Tim’s job?

Very sneaky @Blastoise186 - but actually a great question. Simon’s already heard great things about this place and our great super users so will be really interesting to hear what his thoughts are on the future importance of our community. We’ll add this one to the list!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looking forward to it...

Userlevel 7

Some really great discussion points being raised - great to see some opposing viewpoints too. I’m sensing this could be one of our best events yet!

If anyone hasn’t RSVP’ed yet don’t forget to do that here:relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I really can’t help but ask this one. Especially as Tim and Jess still haven’t discovered all of the Sekrit Questions that I’ve hidden in this thread. Like this one! What’s the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything, if it isn’t actually 42?

Who is this mysterious Smart Meter Friend/Smart Meter Expert at OVO’s head office and how much does he know about literally everything related to all kinds of energy metering?

Userlevel 7

Some more great comments, ideas, questions. Thanks all. 

@Jeffus we’ll definitely make sure vCharge and dynamo is on the list of pre-submitted questions for Simon. Attendees will have an opportunity to discuss wider implications, fuel poverty, community energy groups. It’s going to be a jam packed 60 minutes. Do we think it would help to group questions into main themes so we can ensure there’s time for each and any follow up questions related?  

I’m aware that we haven’t got any confirmed attendees from our electrification of heat trials. @hydrosam@juliamc@Gingernut49@mrmojorisin04@James_N @nealmurphy @jason.lewis @48havelock - we already have a ‘post-gas’, heat pump question for Simon, but you can get yours submitted here or discuss on the day. 

RSVP to this August event here:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO is there an RSVP button? otherwise yes !

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Oh there…!! Wasn’t looking there:rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 7

Some really great issues to raise to Simon, @knight. Sorry to hear you won’t be able to attend in person but we can still put this to Simon on the night and will be sure to post all the responses given here - so you won’t miss out! :thumbsup:

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Tim - credit to Simon for the oppportunity to ask questions. Here’s mine

I’d like to know how important you think it is to get the little things right as well as the big, sexy ones? Eg the billing system slow development as set out by @Transparent; odd mismatches betwen app and website readings; the need to explain smart meter reading interval options to get the best use; and unreliable/unpredictable failuers to get smart meter readings or display of both fuels on IHDs (which feature on forum posts).

And that’s not a snarky moan. These sort of issues will always happen - but I’m interested in the link between the big vision and the detailed delivery. My guess is most Ovo customers will look at the latter, even if they believe in the former.

Userlevel 7

Our next event is this Tuesday at 16:30 - keep it clear everyone - Simon, Jess and myself will see you all there!

Also a big thank you to everyone who sent in your questions. I thought we’d get a good range of topics and I wasn’t disappointed. Lots of great questions and ideas about the energy industry, energy transformation, decarbonising heat, transport, future OVO proposition's, and the odd curve in there as well. 

There’s a lot to cover so get there on time if you can @Blastoise186 @D10hul @ArundaleP @sylm_2000 @EverythingNeedsAUserName @Transparent @Jequinlan @James_N @Jeffus @juliamc @hecate @nealmurphy @jason.lewis 

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a lovely Friday and weekend!

See you next week,

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sheesh, @Jeffus !

You’d better ask @Tim_OVO  for another hour of Simon’s time!

Or, better still, let’s find out if there’s a gas strategy manager in OVO and put this forward for the following month’s discussion.

Userlevel 7

Our next event is this Tuesday at 16:30 - keep it clear everyone - Simon, Jess and myself will see you all there!

Also a big thank you to everyone who sent in your questions. I thought we’d get a good range of topics and I wasn’t disappointed. Lots of great questions and ideas about the energy industry, energy transformation, decarbonising heat, transport, future OVO proposition's, and the odd curve in there as well. 

There’s a lot to cover so get there on time if you can @Blastoise186 @D10hul @ArundaleP @sylm_2000 @EverythingNeedsAUserName @Transparent @Jequinlan @James_N @Jeffus @juliamc @hecate @nealmurphy @jason.lewis 

Here’s the URL which you can simply copy and paste into your browser when the time comes: https://meet.google.com/xqk-qurc-rzx?hs=122&authuser=0

We’re kicking things off in 75 minutes, get the kettle on, get the laptop fired up, I’ll see you there at 16:30!

Userlevel 7

Well I don’t know about you, but I really enjoyed that!

Thanks to everyone that made the session, thanks for your questions, thanks Simon for your time and your answers. Some great things being discussed, and to get such insight from someone at the heart of OVO policy. It was a great 60 minutes and I hope you thought so too. 

We weren’t able to get to everyone’s pre-submitted questions. Our score was about 75%, with all live questions answered. Not too bad, and we’ll be in touch later this week about whether we’re going to publish any of the conversation. 

That’s it from me, as mentioned at the end of the session, for anyone with PV panels, get in touch with me. I’d love to collaborate with you on some new forum content!

Tim

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, 

Unfortunately I ended up being stuck at work so missed the event. Is there anywhere I can watch a recording?

@Tim_OVO I have PV 

Thank you for doing these sessions, sorry I missed this one.

Userlevel 7

Sorry we missed you at the event yesterday, @ArundaleP.

I hope the other event attendees will agree it was a really interesting chat and Simon left me feeling really positive about the future of energy. We’ll be going through the recording of the event today to start transcribing the answers (we can’t publish the full recording unfortunately) but will aim to share the most interesting comments here.

We’d love to hear any feedback from those who did make it. Learnt anything new or got any suggestions on how we improve things for the next event? Let us know!:slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ArundaleP - Glad to hear you’ve got PV.

The discussion which has raised the subject is here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We’d love to hear any feedback from those who did make it. Learnt anything new or got any suggestions on how we improve things for the next event? Let us know!:slight_smile:

@Jess_OVO Simon mentioned insulation being key. Could OVO offer something like the Whole House Plan that Retrofit did for our houses when assessing them for the Zero Carbon Heating trial ? It was very informative, lots of suggestions and an illustration of possible cost versus effect of making improvements. 

When we moved in to this house 18 years ago we made aesthetic improvements, double glazing etc, but never considered the amount of energy our cold solid floor would eat up. Now the thought of ripping up the existing floor and redoing the whole place is overwhelming and won’t happen. If we’d had an energy plan when we first moved things would have been different!!

It would also be great if Retrofit and OVO could get together and send people out to do the insulation work too. Not just chuck loft insulation about and cover up joists and cables, but do it properly. Nor come and only part-fill the cavity walls either!!

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately I ended up being stuck at work so missed the event. Is there anywhere I can watch a recording?

You were missed, @ArundaleP but I know these things happen. Everyone is busy these days, a place like this needs to be able to fit around everyone’s busy lives. We did ask at least two of your (great) pre submitted questions. As Jess mentioned we won’t be able to share a recording for privacy reasons, but we’re hoping to be able to publish some of the discussion that took place. 

@Tim_OVO I have PV 

The discussion which has raised the subject is here.

As that thread that @Transparent has linked to is in the private smart home trials area, I’ve actually created a public thread so we get collaborate with all PV members. @ArundaleP check it out here, you’ll see the sort of info we’re hoping to confirm on the topic itself. @jenthomson this is the one you’ll need as well:

Looking forward to some more forum collaboration!