Solved

Moving from EON Prepayment to OVO Pay Monthly - is this possible?

Hello,
We bought our house last year and it was previously a rental and so has a prepayment electricity meter with EON (gas is on a standard meter). We're looking to move suppliers to a cheaper dual fuel tariff but we're only interested in pay monthly deals - we don't want the prepayment meter anymore. Can OVO do this during the switch?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Emma_OVO 12 February 2018, 16:40

Hey @nnxen

You'd only be able to switch to OVO if you already had Pay monthly meters at the property. OVO wouldn't be able to supply you with Pay as you go meters and we wouldn't be able to exchange your meters for Pay monthly ones.

You can find this topic on our new forum here: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/can-i-change-from-pay-as-you-go-payg-to-pay-monthly-paym-credit-45

It's just as quick and easy to sign up and get stuck in. We already have 100 users registered and getting involved so we don't want you to miss out!

Emma

View original
This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @nnxen

You'd only be able to switch to OVO if you already had Pay monthly meters at the property. OVO wouldn't be able to supply you with Pay as you go meters and we wouldn't be able to exchange your meters for Pay monthly ones.

You can find this topic on our new forum here: https://forum.boostpower.co.uk/smart-payg-5/can-i-change-from-pay-as-you-go-payg-to-pay-monthly-paym-credit-45

It's just as quick and easy to sign up and get stuck in. We already have 100 users registered and getting involved so we don't want you to miss out!

Emma
Can someone supply me with the correct information please?.
My friend is with Ovo , as myself and daughters are too. He is moving into a bungalow which has British Gas prepayment Smart meters installed, and is having hell of a job getting back to Ovo normal meters. That is, DD, (not prepayment)

Ovo say they cannot supply until the meters are changed.
BG say they will not change the meters, that it is Ovo that must install them.They can change the prepayment to DD at their end, but we are not sure that they do not mean prepayment by DD.

My friend is 75 and not in the best of health which is why he is moving to be near us and this is really getting him down as he is passed from one person to the next. We feel BG are doing everything to keep him with their company, but he has a big credit with Ovo and does not want to change.

Can someone tell us what the legalities are? Who should change the meters? and how can we speed them up so he can get off the prepayment tariff?

and as a footnote....when they did a credit check on him they did it by property address not person as he was refused in the first instance. His score is 996, so that was another hurdle we had to fight over!!

Thank you and do hope you can put us right so we can get onto the correct people and tell them how it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
SueC wrote:

BG say they will not change the meters, that it is Ovo that must install them.They can change the prepayment to DD at their end, but we are not sure that they do not mean prepayment by DD.

Good news @SueC - your friend can sign up to OVO as a Pay Monthly customer. British Gas can put the meter into a 'credit' before your switch. So makes sure you sign up to a Pay Monthly tariff with OVO (here: http://ovoener.gy/Quote) and then badger British Gas to put your meter into that 'credit' setting just before your supply start date.

We are now closing down all PAYG and PAYG+ related topics on the OVO Forum so you will need to head over to the Boost Forum to stay involved.

Tim
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close