Solved

What is a vend code and pin code for my Pipit In-Home Display (IHD)?

My smart meter requires a pin code. What is it? What is a VEND code?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 17 July 2017, 19:29

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great to see you’re already keen to get your Pipit IHD up and running. You shouldn’t need to enter a PIN code as this would only be needed for removing the device from the network. If your IHD is asking for a PIN code it could be that the device is having connection issues. If so, try moving it closer to the electricity smart meter and turn the device off and on again.

Equally as a Pay Monthly member you won’t need to enter a Vend code as this is designed for Pay-as-you-go customers to add top-ups to their meter balance.

For a full guide to your SMETS 1 Smart meter device, check out the guide below.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

So what about the PIN number I require??
Userlevel 7
So what about the PIN number I require??

Well @Pugin25 that PIN number is only used by an engineer to un-link the IHD from the meters. You won't need to enter a PIN number - leaving the IHD for a minute or so will get you off that screen and back to the default screen.

Tim
@Tim_OVO I also need a PIN. We had a smart gas meter installed but the engineer has not linked it to our IHD. The electric meter had been fitted previously and was already linked.
Userlevel 7
@Tim_OVO I also need a PIN. We had a smart gas meter installed but the engineer has not linked it to our IHD. The electric meter had been fitted previously and was already linked.

Hi @matthewwoods

No need for a PIN number. This tells me the IHD is already linked up, at least with one of your meters. To be sure, I'd suggest you ring our Care team. Whilst you're on the phone, they can link up your IHD with your gas meter, or be able to confirm it's already linked: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers#contactnumbers.

Tim
I was informed a vend code is the 20 digit number on your receipt once you top up on pay as you go customer ... so keep hold of every reciept until you check your top up has been accepted
Userlevel 5
I was informed a vend code is the 20 digit number on your receipt once you top up on pay as you go customer ... so keep hold of every reciept until you check your top up has been accepted

That’s right. If the top up hasn’t automatically gone on then you’ll need the vend code to manually add the credit to your meters. For more information, check out https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payg/smart-payg/how-do-i-add-credit-manually-on-a-smart-meter.html.

Lucy
Gas is not working. I pay monthly so I am in credit. It says vent then incomplete. Something about a code.
Userlevel 5
Hi @Illsley1981,

If your gas meter/supply goes off suddenly, we'd always recommend calling the team as soon as you can on 0330 303 5063. They're available 8am to 6pm on weekdays.

If you have a smart gas meter in credit mode, it's unlikely that the meter would switch itself off. As long as the light on the meter is on, this means there's an incoming supply. There could be an outage in the area which would cause this to go off. You can check for outages here.

If it's a single appliance that you've noticed not working, be sue to check other appliances like boiler/hob ring/oven etc. Any faults within the property would need to be checked by a Gas Safe Engineer.

Cheers
So here begs the question Why do OVO make absolutely no reference to the Vend code in their on line web site smart meter tutorials. Is there something sinister about it?
Userlevel 7
Hi @Uggss

The vend code that Lucy mentions is on the top up receipt of prepayment customers. This won't be something a pay monthly customer would need.

Any mention of pins on the In Home Display is for the engineer, when linking it up to your smart meters. Just leave it for a few minutes and it will reset to the homepage. 😎
Begs the same question. Humans are by nature inquisitive and if they encounter something in their daily lives they want to know what it's for. Wouldn't it be much easier for OVO to include that piece of information on their web page?
Userlevel 5
Good point @Uggss! I'll pass this on 🙂