Solved

Duplicate smart meter installation email "you're about to get smarter" two years later

• Ray
  • Savvy***
  • 3 replies
Today I received the same smart meter installation email that I received back in 2015 when my smart meter was installed. EXACTLY THE SAME with the same planned installation date of 04/11/2015. What's going on OVO?
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 12 August 2017, 03:08

Hi @Ray

I can only speculate at this stage that it may be some kind of computer glitch.

If you drop one of the mods a private message with your post code account number date of birth and address they can double check it for you.

@Emma_OVO @Tim_OVO

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Ray

I can only speculate at this stage that it may be some kind of computer glitch.

If you drop one of the mods a private message with your post code account number date of birth and address they can double check it for you.

@Emma_OVO @Tim_OVO
Matt
Yes, I can only imagine that something has gone wrong with OVO's smart meter notification suite of programs.

When I first skimmed the email I thought my smart meter was going to be upgraded - there has been quite a bit in the press recently about smart meters that aren't smart enough. It was only when I read the email carefully that I spotted my original smart meter installation date.

Coming from a professional IT background, I also thought it might be a clever scam to set the scene for a visit by bogus installers. I'm now satisfied that it is not,however ...

I would expect OVO to pick up on this and provide a formal response, AND IF NECESSARY send out an email to all affected customers (I can't imagine I'm alone) with an explanation and reassurance. .
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Ray,

Thank you for posting back - im sure one of the lovely moderators will pass this on to be looked into and remidial action will be taken if required.

@Lucy_OVO @Emma_OVO or @Darran_OVO given that we are in a world where email scams are notorious is there an example email or guidance for customers on what genuine communication from ovo will look like/minimal security information to reassure customers?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Ray wrote:

Today I received the same smart meter installation email that I received back in 2015 when my smart meter was installed. EXACTLY THE SAME with the same planned installation date of 04/11/2015. What's going on OVO?

Hey Ray,

I’d like to look into this for you, as it’s hard to advise what’s gone on here without looking into your account. I’ve sent you a private message so feel free to reply to this when you can.

Cheers,
Lucy

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close