When's the best time to charge my new Audi A3 e-tron EV?

• 27 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there as of yesterday I now have a home EV charging point and i am looking for advice on when is the best time to use this ?
I don't have the econ.7 or Econ 10 plan would this help ?
Also I joined Polar + and pay the required 7.85 per month am I right in saying as a Ovo customer this is free ?
Thank you for any advice e as very new to this EV concept ...

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Get E7 unless you hardly ever charge at home or charge at work.

As to when to charge it is kindest to the grid to charge at night. Def avoid the peak period which is 5pm to 7pm iirc.

Which EV did you buy?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you so much for that help I'll now have a word with Ovo re E7 and what that entails ..
We bought an Audi A3 e -tron and it's wonderful I know Audi's well well but the hybrid takes driving and green to a new level .
Thanks again for the help Liz
Userlevel 4
Badge
A3 e-tron has a small battery (8.8kWh). You won't get a huge benefit from a switch to E7 unless you can time shift other electricity consumption to the hours of darkness too. It is still kindest to the grid to charge at night.

The battery will recharge in a couple of hours from an ordinary 240V 3 pin plug. No need for a dedicated wall charger unless you want some additional convenience.

Enjoy your car :)

edit: If you do 25+ miles per day then E7 can still be beneficial. 9kWh recharge for 250 days each year is 2250kWh additional use per year. If you have the EV everywhere tariff and can make use of the Polar subscription that is included you may again find that E7 is marginal. We have a Tesla so our additional electricity is significant as the battery is huge.

To get the free Polar Plus you need to be on the EV Everywhere tariff.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I can't thank you enough you have been so helpful .. I always feel with newish technology one has to be well armed ! Hubby announced he was getting this car and then said its over to you now but well I like a challenge. Very envious of your Tesla as our son in US went to test drive one when we were visiting last year wow it's the 'Apple ' of cars loved it ..Thanks again .