Blog

Top EV Apps - Community Guide

Top EV Apps - Community Guide
Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 23/06/23 by Tim_OVO:

As well as this great user-created guide to EV apps below we’ve got some great info for prospective EV Owners here on the OVO online community.

Why not check out the reviews our members have written about their EV wheels:

​​​​​​

Or their top tips on what to consider before choosing which wheels to go for:

OVO are now fitting electric vehicle (EV) smart chargers. 

The smart chargers we fit are compatible with OVO’s Charge Anytime add on, for super cheap EV charging any time of the day. 

:oncoming_automobile:

One problem being an EV Owner is knowing which apps are the best to download or for a new EV owner you may be thinking… Which ones do I need to install:thinking:

First of let’s start with Zap map

Zap map is a really useful app which allows you to view every charging point located in the UK. You can see if they are working by other drivers commenting and keeping you up to date. 

This app is available via iOS and Android

iOS

Android

Plugshare works exactly the same as but doesn’t show home charging points like Zapmap can.

This app is available via iOS and Android

iOS
Android

Charge your car is an app which allows you to find charging points owned by CYC. You will also need this app installed in order to talk to the charging point you are plugged into even if the charging point is free.

This app is available for iOS and Android

iOS

Android

Ecotricity

Ecotricity are not only a green renewable energy supplier but they also provide the rapid chargers you see at the service stations on the motorway. These are the only pumps you’ll find at the moment. You can use this app to check up on the status of the pumps, tell you if they are online, offline or in use. These pumps used to be free.. Back in the day! But now they charge 30p per unit of energy you use or 15p if you are an ecotricity customer.

iOS

Android

Pod point not only supply home charging points. They also provide charging points at supermarkets such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s and more. They are also dotted around town centers such as the Bull ring in “Birmingham” (Ozzy osbourne accent). Some charging points are free and others have a charge. Normally the 3kw are genuinly free and 7kw above require payment.

iOS

Android

I found the apps @jp1 mentioned 😁

A Better Routeplanner:

For Android

For iOS

Thank you” as part of your Dreamforce Preparations - Salesforce Blog

Thank you for taking your time looking at this post. If I find anymore I will be sure to update the post. But if there are any other apps you think will be useful for an EV owner. Please! Do post below in the comments section. 

Just to note. Majority of these companies provide a desktop experience if you do not want to install apps on your phone. But you will need the apps installed on your phone either way to start a charge or locate the charging points.

HAPPY FRIDAY! Take care and have a lovely weekend.

37 replies

Userlevel 7

Wow this is a great topic @ITGeek123 !

Hopefully this will get shared amongst our EV users this weekend - if not, I’ll tag some regulars to make sure it’s not missed. It would be interesting to hear if anyone suggests alternatives…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you so much @Tim_OVO I have many more in depth topics to write for the forum which I hope will help new EV owners.

Userlevel 5

I think most EV owners have multiple apps.  You are missing NewMotion/Shell  and probably many more.

The EV payment space needs to be simplified. Simplified without increasing the cost which is what those that support multiple payment methods have chosen to do.  Use contactless and you pay more than if you were buying petrol.

FWIW I think I use ZapMap the most when I have no idea where a charger is located, Though Polar,  PodPoint, and CYC must be close seconds.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a number of Apps on my phone, see below, but in truth I only really use two. First is Polar because my contract with OVO provides that they pay my Polar subscription and so obviously they are the charger of choice. 
If I travel away from home I would again use Polar first  but if I judged that an area was lacking I would then use Zap-Map.

If Zap-Map provided an alternative to Polar then the chances are that I would be able to proceed using one of the other Apps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Great post for EV newbies.

I would like to add one more to your list that I use for any long journeys in my Nissan Leaf.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Its a great route planning application that you can use simply or configure in depth for those that love the planning as much as the journey :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge

Wow! This is great! Thank you so much for the feedback all :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Mikeyoung

I am sure that an App is required for route planning but it will depend on a car’s range. 

I am very fortunate in having a car with a massive range which does enable me to undertake long journeys without having to worry about charger locations. 
Earlier in the year I was able to travel to an holiday destination on only one charge. Once there I was able to maintain a full charge by utilising my Pod-Point card for free energy at a couple of supermarkets and the free supply at the holiday destination. 
I did work out that I could have got to and from the holiday destination with the full charge I started with but of course few EV owners can pass up a “free vend”

My cars Summer range is :

Userlevel 5

349 mi summer range is almost twice my Tesla S90D summer range. If I stay below 70mph I should get 200+ miles in summer.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@NoPoke 

If you stay below 70 mph 🤣

Nuff said :)

Userlevel 7
Badge

Nice! My leaf is fully charged and I have 108Miles :rofl:

But I do literally 3 miles a day to and from work so this will last me ages!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@ITGeek123 

The really depressing thing is that thousands of car owners could be as satisfied as you are but sadly they will not because the motor manufacturers aren’t willing to provide the marketing/education to counter the negativity associated with EVs and range. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Peetee that's their loss from driving incredible cars 😁 

Userlevel 2

@ITGeek123

The really depressing thing is that thousands of car owners could be as satisfied as you are but sadly they will not because the motor manufacturers aren’t willing to provide the marketing/education to counter the negativity associated with EVs and range. 

Think you’ll find that far from being unwilling to educate, they will be actively in partnership with the fossil fuel miners in persuading drivers that it’s impossible to switch. I’m still hearing stories about how your battery just runs out without any warning, the car will electrocute you if you drive through a puddle and the national grid will melt if you plug your car and your hoover in at the same time.  It’s quite pathetic really. Having driven electric for 4 years and around 60k miles now, I’ve still got people telling me it’s impossible to do 🙄. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Gif

Yes, I have heard the same stories. 
Of course we have to be realistic when condemning ICE manufacturers. 
I predict that JLR will be looking for government funding to stay afloat. They have relied, even today, on the sale of Diesel engine vehicles because the billions needed to produce a platform for a range of EVs has not been produced by their Indian owners, Tata Motors. 
Nissan are still deciding where to invest for future production of EVs. In the meantime they continue to peddle their qashqai. 
Honda have pulled up stumps in the U.K. and I would not be surprised to see BMW move production of the Mini to spare capacity in Europe. 
At the same time we have thousands of jobs dependent on motor dealership service departments, the only departments producing a real profit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@ITGeek123

Think you’ll find that far from being unwilling to educate, they will be actively in partnership with the fossil fuel miners in persuading drivers that it’s impossible to switch. I’m still hearing stories about how your battery just runs out without any warning, the car will electrocute you if you drive through a puddle and the national grid will melt if you plug your car and your hoover in at the same time.  It’s quite pathetic really. Having driven electric for 4 years and around 60k miles now, I’ve still got people telling me it’s impossible to do 🙄

I have joked about causing a powercut from using my kettle while charging the car. I am still yet to post on my community page when another powercut happens for me to say “I’ll go and unplug my car” 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Gif

Yes, I have heard the same stories. 
Of course we have to be realistic when condemning ICE manufacturers. 
I predict that JLR will be looking for government funding to stay afloat. They have relied, even today, on the sale of Diesel engine vehicles because the billions needed to produce a platform for a range of EVs has not been produced by their Indian owners, Tata Motors. 
Nissan are still deciding where to invest for future production of EVs. In the meantime they continue to peddle their qashqai. 
Honda have pulled up stumps in the U.K. and I would not be surprised to see BMW move production of the Mini to spare capacity in Europe. 
At the same time we have thousands of jobs dependent on motor dealership service departments, the only departments producing a real profit. 

This is a very interesting video - the savings on an EV over a petrol/diesel car 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Also realised @Peetee The regen set on your car is on 3…. Damn! That must feel like B mode on the leaf but more aggressive!

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you were a passenger in my car @ITGeek123  I would bet that you would be completely unaware of the operation of level 3 regeneration. 
However that couldn’t be said if my wife is driving. 
In my view the key to a smooth ride is a combination of being aware of road and traffic demands coupled with an accelerator feathering technique to slow the car. In over a year now I doubt that I have used the footbrake, other than to activate “auto hold” , more than dozen or so occasions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

If you were a passenger in my car @ITGeek123  I would bet that you would be completely unaware of the operation of level 3 regeneration. 
However that couldn’t be said if my wife is driving. ​​​
In my view the key to a smooth ride is a combination of being aware of road and traffic demands coupled with an accelerator feathering technique to slow the car. In over a year now I doubt that I have used the footbrake, other than to activate “auto hold” , more than dozen or so occasions. 

“However that couldn’t be said if my wife is driving. “ You brave person! haha Make sure she doesn’t see this!

In all honesty, I rarely use my brake unless I am in town of course. But Shoving the car in Eco mode and B mode slows the car down, plus regens energy back in the battery and saves money on my brake pads. But you know that anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Userlevel 3
Badge

I get great satisfaction seeing an ICE car ahead of me have its brake lights activated by the driver and consider the eventual cost of  brake pad replacement, tyres, fuel and probably peace of mind.😊

Userlevel 7
Badge

I get great satisfaction seeing an ICE car ahead of me have its brake lights activated by the driver and consider the eventual cost of  brake pad replacement, tyres, fuel and probably peace of mind.😊

I think the satisfaction has a particular face expression called the “smug” face haha

The Jeremy Clarkson Smug Face - YouTube

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yeah, that’s the one 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge

Question I have for all EV owners. When you see another EV owner of the same model car you are driving. Do you give the good ol' wave? I tend to have the habit doing this and only sometimes get a wave back with other enthusiastic EV drivers 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@ITGeek123 

The Kona EV is rarer than hens teeth. 
If I see one on the road I would certainly flash my lights and wave, chances are that the owner would be a member of the Kona forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@ITGeek123

The Kona EV is rarer than hens teeth. 
If I see one on the road I would certainly flash my lights and wave, chances are that the owner would be a member of the Kona forum. 

I hope they wave back. I get funny looks or sometimes get a wave 😂