Solved

Dissertation survey on factors that affect EV adoption in the UK

• 11 April 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi, my name is Kelvin and I am a final year student at UCL. I am looking to evaluate the major factors that affect EV adoption in the UK, and the impact. I have also proposed new categorisation of factors in terms of relative advantages, compatibility, complexity, social image and socio-economic status. The survey also helps to test if there is a geographical difference between UK and other countries in terms of major factors and impact towards EVs.

It will take about 5 minutes to complete the survey; I would like your help for my dissertation. Thank you so much!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6VTHK2H
icon

Best answer by Transparent 11 April 2018, 12:59

Interesting survey, @kelvinyuen54,

There's a few biasses built in:

For example, the issue of the Congestion Charge is of very little consequence for those of living in the rural West Country. But since you don't ask how close the respondents live to a city with such a Charge, you can't calculate whether this response is significant or merely due to where we live.

I'm intrigued that you've split the concepts of "high purchase price" and "expensive batteries". Since the vast majority of EV's have dedicated in-built batteries, I'm unsure whether the general public sees these as separate issues.

If I were to buy and EV and then use it actively to resell stored electricity back to the Grid at a profit whilst I'm not driving, then I'd be less concerned at battery cost. But I doubt that many people yet understand this forthcoming technology.

Next year there will be much more public awareness, so you'd probably get different answers.

I assume you're reading relevant articles on this Forum to keep yourself informed?
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Interesting survey, @kelvinyuen54,

There's a few biasses built in:

For example, the issue of the Congestion Charge is of very little consequence for those of living in the rural West Country. But since you don't ask how close the respondents live to a city with such a Charge, you can't calculate whether this response is significant or merely due to where we live.

I'm intrigued that you've split the concepts of "high purchase price" and "expensive batteries". Since the vast majority of EV's have dedicated in-built batteries, I'm unsure whether the general public sees these as separate issues.

If I were to buy and EV and then use it actively to resell stored electricity back to the Grid at a profit whilst I'm not driving, then I'd be less concerned at battery cost. But I doubt that many people yet understand this forthcoming technology.

Next year there will be much more public awareness, so you'd probably get different answers.

I assume you're reading relevant articles on this Forum to keep yourself informed?
Dear @Transparent

I am very thankful for your responses. It is very useful towards my reflection and improvements needed for my dissertation.

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
You're welcome, @kelvinyuen54,

Your initial message suggests you are looking at the sociological aspects of EV implementation rather than the technicalities. But I think you should be reading more about Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) on this Forum. It will become an important technological incentive for users to buy EV's once the new SMETS2 Smart Meter Technology is being installed towards the end of this year.

Currently most EV's are domestic cars, but you should also note what is being developed by Arrival in Oxfordshire. Their small commercial vans are now being trialled by Royal Mail for inner-city deliveries.

If you think about it, there are many "local tradesmen" (electricians, plumbers, decorators) whose work pattern is a very good fit for an electric equivalent of the classic White Transit van. Arrival are developing just that.

As this is a Dissertation, please check UCL's rules for referencing sources you quote from. They probably don't require individual names, but you may need to list the URL's of pages you've used on this Forum.

Please feel free to ask for more help if you wish.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@geoffenator @andyfras @jingl33 @Paul

Sorry for spamming you all but here's an EV survey you might be interested in....
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
And @kelvinyuen54,

I think you'll also be interested to read this Product Announcement by OVO today.

Read the maths at the foot of the page where the cost of energy is calculated. These Chargers are very likely to affect the take up of EV's.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The survey is no longer open.