Solved

Why is my renewal quote different when compared to a quote for a new customer?

• 9 May 2019
  • 4 replies

My renewal is due 9th June 2019 and in my Ovo the renewal for 2 year fixed energy is £1088.02. (
But if i go on Ovo and do a quote from scatch not logged in, using the kWh used for the year for gas and electricity using my postcode etc so like for like the quote comes back as £1029.
Can you please advise?
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 10 May 2019, 12:55

Hey @SquidLady,

It's great to hear that you have used your annual consumption figures to generate a quote.

When joining as a new customer this is the best way to ensure that the initial quote is based on your usage and the recommended monthly payment covers your usage.

The reason the two quotes differ, is due to the annual consumption figures we use being taken from an average over 3-5 years, based on readings we receive. The annual consumption figure you have used may be the most up to date for you year on year, but it will not factor in the historical usage in the home. The quote on your online account will be more accurate based on a larger pool of data, the rates will be the same. We offer the same rates to customers old and new to ensure we are transparent.

I hope this helps ☺
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hey @SquidLady,

It's great to hear that you have used your annual consumption figures to generate a quote.

When joining as a new customer this is the best way to ensure that the initial quote is based on your usage and the recommended monthly payment covers your usage.

The reason the two quotes differ, is due to the annual consumption figures we use being taken from an average over 3-5 years, based on readings we receive. The annual consumption figure you have used may be the most up to date for you year on year, but it will not factor in the historical usage in the home. The quote on your online account will be more accurate based on a larger pool of data, the rates will be the same. We offer the same rates to customers old and new to ensure we are transparent.

I hope this helps ☺
I am a happy OVO costumer, but my two year fixed tariff is up in September. So as a diligent consumer I did a comparison using details from my last bill. It said I would save £135 (I think) if I switched to EDF and there were better deals elsewhere as well, I am not looking to get the cheapest no matter what I like OVO and have been with you for a while now. But this was because you were small and were better value for money than the big 6.
Is it possible U switch are not being straight and not doing the calculations properly? I gave them our annual usage in KW not £s.
I though I had already posted a topic like this but can't find it.
Userlevel 5
Badge
You need to be careful with calculations from uswitch or indeed any other calculation site. They are bound to use a calculation process which assumes that you are with your current supplier until the end of your fixed term contract and for the rest of the twelve months on their standard rate, that's probably why.

Best to use the new rates quoted and multiply them yourself i.e. kWh used times rate offered plus standing charges for the year then you get a true representation of the costs.

Personally I use a spreadsheet and calculate it myself from the rates quoted.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey @PeterR1947 thank you so much for such a great response!

@Pierssy I've popped your post here, please check out @Amy_OVO best answer, it'll give you all the info you need!

Thanks!