Solved

Why have OVO told me I need to renew if my plan expires in 2020?

• 4 December 2018
  • 9 replies

Why has Ovo sent me an email telling me I need to choose a new plan when signed up with Ovo for a 2 year fixed energy plan that ends on 24th March 2020. Apparently your renewal system made an error and you have been charging me the wrong rates (please see extract from email below). I am sorry about the "glitch" that Ovo admits is "our fault" and you won't need to write off any money by way of an apology because I still have a positive balance with you. I think Ovo is in breach of contract.

"We’re sorry, but an error with our renewal system means you’ve been charged the wrong rates since 9 August 2018 - and have underpaid for your energy by £0.00. To fix this, we’ll write off the money you owe us because this glitch is our fault. You’ll need to choose a new plan, because your contract has finished"
icon

Best answer by Transparent 5 December 2018, 12:44

Well @neilmcl seems to have done better out of this glitch than @Montia does. What a shame you only only underpaid by £0.00 🤔

I have no idea why either of you should be choosing a new contract. "Contract means Contract". I don't see how one party can make an administrative mess of it, and then require the other side to take action to mitigate this. Still less can one side terminate a contract unilaterally.

Maybe one contract end date is different to another, for gas and electricity. See the contract details in MyOVO

All Contracts are covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which you are still covered by... provided that you don't ditch it and take out another one, of course! I can expand on this if you want me to.

Actually @neilmcl might possibly still be a financial winner, provided that the rise in prices don't exceed the £100 which OVO are writing off.

But @Montia would almost certainly gain by sticking to the Fixed rates which you signed up to in March 2018.

I suggest you handle this via email to hello@ovoenergy.com. That way you retain written evidence in case this escalates to the stage of a complaint.
View original

9 replies

I've had exactly the same email today. Even though I've renewed this year to stay on the Better Energy plan it seems my electricity tariff has stayed on the 2017 plan since April and I was undercharged by nearly £100 and yes they will write this off but that does mean I will have to choose a new plan. Fair enough but the new plans will no doubt be more expensive than the plan I agreed to back in April this year and that I should be on given price increases since.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Well @neilmcl seems to have done better out of this glitch than @Montia does. What a shame you only only underpaid by £0.00 🤔

I have no idea why either of you should be choosing a new contract. "Contract means Contract". I don't see how one party can make an administrative mess of it, and then require the other side to take action to mitigate this. Still less can one side terminate a contract unilaterally.

Maybe one contract end date is different to another, for gas and electricity. See the contract details in MyOVO

All Contracts are covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which you are still covered by... provided that you don't ditch it and take out another one, of course! I can expand on this if you want me to.

Actually @neilmcl might possibly still be a financial winner, provided that the rise in prices don't exceed the £100 which OVO are writing off.

But @Montia would almost certainly gain by sticking to the Fixed rates which you signed up to in March 2018.

I suggest you handle this via email to hello@ovoenergy.com. That way you retain written evidence in case this escalates to the stage of a complaint.
Thank for that advice.
Userlevel 4
It's true - there was a technical glitch that affected your renewals, @Montia & @neilmcl, so we'll need to start the renewal process again. I'm really sorry!

We would treat your account as if you came to the end of your contract. You've got 49 days to renew onto a new tariff (this can be done on My OVO), or switch away to another supplier without incurring exit fees. If you don't renew, or switch away - you'll automatically roll onto our Simpler tariff.

I hope this helps! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Erm @Eva_OVO ... customer @Montia isn't due for a renewal anytime soon. The point was that it's a 2-year contract until March 2020.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Eva_OVO is right though @Transparent - there was a technical glitch with the renewals/contracts.

@Montia - Best to contact the Customer Care team about this. They'll have visibility over your account and be able to walk you through exactly what's happened here. 🙂 You can message them on Facebook or Twitter, or find their other contact details here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help.
I've had some recent email notifications from OVO - things like "you're plan is about to end" adn then "here's your new plan" etc.

These tell me that my plan ended on 15th feb and I'm now on the variable rate (ouch!).

When I check MyOvo it tells me my plan ends in May - hence me thinking the emails were a bit premature and nothing to worry about yet.

Now I am on a variable rate and can't figure out why... I guess a call to Ovo is required but impossible to get hold of people post 6pm (which is obvs the time I actually start looking at emails from utility companies).
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I've had some recent email notifications from OVO - things like "you're plan is about to end" adn then "here's your new plan" etc.

When I check MyOvo it tells me my plan ends in May - hence me thinking the emails were a bit premature and nothing to worry about yet.

Thanks for posting @Springer

This does sound similar to what's been mentioned above. See Transparent's 'best answer' for more info, and consider getting this checked by the Customer Care team: hello@ovoenergy.com.
Thank you. I shall give customer service a try