Solved

Where can I find OVO's tariff rates?

• 7 September 2018
  • 4 replies

I have tried to compare electricity and gas prices at a few comparison sites and I have to give details of annual usage amongst other stuff in order to be told how much I'm going to 'save' over the next 12 months.
I go to fill my car with petrol and choose a supplier offering the cheapest price of petrol per litre. To do this I don't need details of annual usage or how many miles I drive annually, all I need is the price per litre to see which provider is going to save me money. Why do utility companies need to know what my annual usage is? why cant we just compare using the price per kWh?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 10 September 2018, 20:45

Hi @Shez.

You can get more detail on OVO's Tariffs from their website.

Go to the main OVO home-page

Scroll down to the section with the green background. At the foot of this green section, click the text which says "See tariff information (TIL) with just your postcode" A Dialogue Window will open with three questions to answer. Then click on "View Tariff Information Label" The reason that Energy Comparison Sites need to know your approximate annual consumption is that almost all tariffs have an element of standing charge in addition to the cost per kWh.

This is very significant and can easily make a difference of 10%+ when comparing alternative options. There are Energy Companies which offer tariffs with no standing charge. I used one when renovating an unoccupied house. However the cost-per-unit was very high! I would never choose such a tariff if I had to live there.

**Updated 16/07/2019**
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Shez.

You can get more detail on OVO's Tariffs from their website.

Go to the main OVO home-page

Scroll down to the section with the green background. At the foot of this green section, click the text which says "See tariff information (TIL) with just your postcode" A Dialogue Window will open with three questions to answer. Then click on "View Tariff Information Label" The reason that Energy Comparison Sites need to know your approximate annual consumption is that almost all tariffs have an element of standing charge in addition to the cost per kWh.

This is very significant and can easily make a difference of 10%+ when comparing alternative options. There are Energy Companies which offer tariffs with no standing charge. I used one when renovating an unoccupied house. However the cost-per-unit was very high! I would never choose such a tariff if I had to live there.

**Updated 16/07/2019**
I am looking to move to Ovo but want to directly compare your kwh and standing charges myself. Where can I see this for your "Simpler" tariff in London?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I am looking to move to Ovo but want to directly compare your kwh and standing charges myself. Where can I see this for your "Simpler" tariff in London?

Have a look at Transparent's answer above @danM - did you choose OVO in the end or is this reply too late?
Ah that is the information I needed, thank you. I see you have merged my thread here, that confused me for a second =)

Slightly late for my switch this time but no worries! Thank you.