Solved

What are the correct prices for OVO 24 Month Fixed Rate Tariff?

• 26 September 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Yesterday I signed up to the OVO 24 Month Fixed Rate Tariff. During the signup process I checked the Tariff information label which showed the following information...

As you can see the Unit Rate for Gas is 3.8 p per kWh - Including VAT

However when I received my contract from OVO last night I notice the Gas Unit Rate has now changed to 3.90 p per kWh excluding VAT

If I add 5% VAT the unit rate increases to 4.09 p per kWh

Although that might not seem like a lot extra it makes a significant difference to my annual bill which increases it by a further £29 based on my actual usage

Has anybody else experienced these issues and been mislead by incorrect figures?
icon

Best answer by Slinky 1 October 2018, 15:42

Update!

Just telephoned OVO and spoke to Clare and she says OVO will honour the Gas Unit Rate of 3.8 p per kWh (inc VAT) A new contract will be sent out over the next few days to reflect the correct costs.

Problem solved 😉
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Slinky,

Sounds like one of the prices might have been misprinted. Can you add a screenshot of the contract you received showing the price to be 3.9p without VAT?

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi @Slinky,

Sounds like one of the prices might have been misprinted. Can you add a screenshot of the contract you received showing the price to be 3.9p without VAT?

Thanks

Hi Nancy,

Sure, here you go...

Also please notice that this contract also shows my current tariff information which again is also wrong! The figures shown in red is what I currently pay inc VAT

I did email OVO 2 days ago about this confusion but as yet they haven't replied. I might add that these discrepancies are causing me a huge headache right now, I'm trying to find the best overall tariff both with OVO and dare I say with other suppliers too and yet I can't even get accurate figures to make my comparisons.

I appreciate your help anyway 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Hi Nancy, your quick reply would be greatly appreciated. The clock is ticking and my cooling off period is running out. I need accurate tariff information or I'll be forced to cancel my contract.

Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Update!

Just telephoned OVO and spoke to Clare and she says OVO will honour the Gas Unit Rate of 3.8 p per kWh (inc VAT) A new contract will be sent out over the next few days to reflect the correct costs.

Problem solved 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Slinky - thanks for keeping us updated! Glad it's sorted. Looks like it might have been a technical error - good to see you're getting the rates you initially agreed to :)

Nancy
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Technical error maybe but it seems as though nobody really knows the exact tariff rate, not even the staff who work at OVO. I had this email today in response to my earlier enquiry, talk about confusing!! :? Although Clare at OVO has agreed to honour the tariff I was quoted I'm now thinking of cutting my losses and moving elsewhere, I don't need all this confusion and hassle when finding a better tariff. :(

I am writing from the Billing team here at OVO, thanks for getting in touch about your renewal.

Is it possible to confirm the date the you received the quote stated in the tariff information label (VAT inclusive). Looking back through the 2 year fixed tariff, I can see the prices shown (3.59p per kWh exclusive of VAT) were available between the 20/3/18 and the 12/6/18.

On the 12/6/18 the rate increased to 3.76p per kWh (exclusive of VAT). Then on the 7/9/18 the rate increased to it's current level of 3.9p per kWh which is what has been confirmed in your contract renewal letter.
Userlevel 5
Badge
It's a shame to hear this, @Slinky. Sounds like we need to determing the date you renewed or the date you received the letter as there was a change in the rates. The lower rates appeared during the signup process and the updated rates are what were confirmed in your email.

That said, if Clare's agreed to honour the rates quoted, then we'll uphold this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Legally speaking whatever rates were presented to me during the signup process should be what I pay. To change them after I signed up would no doubt be illegal not to mention unfair.

Incidentally the letter OVO sent to my home address showing the lower rate actually arrived the day after I signed up to the fixed contract.

Thankfully Clare at customer service did see sense and honour the lower rate so all's well that ends well 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Slinky,

I think it's important to mention that when you sign up to us initially, the plan you agree to will last a maximum of 12 or 24 months. Once expired, you'll be eligible to renew onto one of our up to date plans. The rates may have changed during the course of your fixed plan, based on changes in wholesale costs.

Cheers,
Nancy
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Just to be clear I've never been on a fixed plan before. I've been on the Better Energy (all online) variable rate tariff for the last 3 years.

I think my first post explains my main gripe, in summary I agreed to the lower rate as shown on the tariff information label during the signup process however OVO had increased that amount when I received my contract. I never agreed to the higher rate and wouldn't have signed up had I been told up front. It's a bit like buying a car, if you buy a red car but when you take delivery it's blue you would have every right to refuse delivery.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

In case there is any doubt I've just looked at the tariff information label again. As you can see OVO are still showing people the lower rate. Clearly if the rates have changed OVO should be telling people the correct information, not misleading them.

Userlevel 5
Badge
@Slinky

Ah sounds like you were on the variable tariff then. This one is called Simpler Energy (Better Energy is fixed 12 months).

If you were on the variable tariff for 3 years, we'd have contacted you any times the rates changed with at least 30 days notice of it happened. On a fixed tariff, you're protected against these fluctuations for the length of the contract.

I'm confident this was an isolated issue on your confirmation letter/email as we don't have any widespread issues with incorrect rates!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi @Nancy_OVO

This is all getting a little confusing now :? Suffice it to say however I've just checked back through all OVO statements and it appears I've been on the 'Better Energy' tariff since 27th November 2015 when I first joined OVO. To my knowledge Better Energy was a variable tariff but if what you say is true clearly I'm mistaken, sorry!

In respect of the above screenshot showing the gas tariff rate as 3.8p per kWh, are you now saying this is correct and the rate hasn't increased? I'm assuming new customers signing up to this 24 month Fixed Rate will also receive the same rate?

I think this is where all the confusion lies because despite the figures shown in the above screenshot OVO were telling me they were wrong and the rates had increased hence why my original contract appeared wrong.

I have received another email from OVO today, see below:

Thank you for your email.

I have now updated your gas unit rate to £0.038 per kWh as discussed with colleague. This will commence on 28/11/2018.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Slinky - Drop me a PM so I can clear some things up - this is getting confusing!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

I just sent you a PM as requested. Please note however as I can't send you screenshots by PM I'll post this one below. It now seems OVO have finally corrected the tariff information label to reflect the price increase.

Nice to know I wasn't going mad after all, OVO just hadn't changed the tariff label when I signed up. ;)