Solved

Renewal offer 6 months free Green Energy - will I lose SSR by calling to cancel?

• 13 January 2019
  • 9 replies

So I've had my renewal offer which includes 6 months free Green Energy, after which it is £5/ month. On checking the T&Cs the only way I can cancel this after the free 6 months is by telephone, thereby breaking the self-service conditions and losing my s/s bonus. This seems pretty underhand to me, anyone else thinking this. Anyone from OVO want to explain?
As far as I can see I don't have the option of taking the fixed-rate offer WITHOUT the 6 months free Green Energy.
icon

Best answer by Slinky 13 January 2019, 15:11

Just to be clear this Green Energy deal and the £5/ month thereafter is a green add-on, so its an add-on to what you already pay, just in case anyone else made the same mistake as me and thought they would get unlimited electricity for £5 / month only. Apparently it was bad wording in the email offer.

Needless to say you won't lose your self service reward from OVO if you do phone them to cancel, I've already had this out with them on numerous occasions and they told me that if you can't get the answers you're looking for online it's perfectly acceptable. The reason why we have the self service reward is to prevent people tying up the phone lines with questions which can be answered by other means, either by email or through the website.

Besides, if it states you need to phone them to cancel in the T&C's you can't be penalised for following the rules.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Just to be clear this Green Energy deal and the £5/ month thereafter is a green add-on, so its an add-on to what you already pay, just in case anyone else made the same mistake as me and thought they would get unlimited electricity for £5 / month only. Apparently it was bad wording in the email offer.

Needless to say you won't lose your self service reward from OVO if you do phone them to cancel, I've already had this out with them on numerous occasions and they told me that if you can't get the answers you're looking for online it's perfectly acceptable. The reason why we have the self service reward is to prevent people tying up the phone lines with questions which can be answered by other means, either by email or through the website.

Besides, if it states you need to phone them to cancel in the T&C's you can't be penalised for following the rules.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi @tdk19

@Slinky Makes a good point. But why would you want to cancel Green energy? Just think how much you are helping the environment by taking out green energy 🙂 Maybe it's just me, but £5 is nothing for making the world a better place 😄
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@ITGeek123

I agree, another £55 on top of your existing bill might not seem much to make the world a better place but that's only any good if everyone does it and it has to be a global decision.
A handful of people here and there won't make a scrap of difference, sadly. Besides, our energy bills are constantly rising and to add even more cost seems too much for some of us.

Ideally if the government wants to cut pollution and promote green initiatives it needs to make them more attractive. Green energy should be made cheaper, nobody would have any trouble switching if that were the case.
My current energy plan is coming up for renewal which I am quite happy to do but I am getting offered free green energy for 6 months and then a £5 a month increase to my payments thereafter. I don't want to go green, I just want to enlist on the standard 24 month fixed rate but cant seem to get away from the green offer.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @charlie58 - I've moved your topic over here where you can find more information about this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@charlie58

Try this link: 2 Year Fixed Energy - 24 Month Contract
Thanks Slinky, I am sorted now.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@charlie58

You're welcome anytime 😉
@charlie58

Try this link: 2 Year Fixed Energy - 24 Month Contract

I've just gone through the renewal process using this link after trying to bypass the offer of 6 months free Green etc. etc. The one thing I'm a tad concerned about is any possible duplication of account or charges as I felt with the questions being asked that I was a completely new customer. Not quite what I was expecting to see but hopefully it'll all come out in the wash........ See how the next couple of months goes I guess......