Solved

OVO tariffs - why the increase?

• 13 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Our OVO contract expires on 28 September and a few weeks ago OVO emailed to remind us, offering a new fixed term contract at slightly higher rates. I was about to renew today i.e. still within the old contract period, but found that the tariff offered a couple of weeks ago has been increased substantially and would now be about £200 a year more expensive than it would have been in August.

We were not advised about this increase and I can now save over £270 a year by switching to a another well-respected supplier. Is OVO trying to dump old customers now that will be acquiring lots of new ones from SSE?
icon

Best answer by X R 14 September 2019, 00:32

Energy prices change reguarly. Dumping customers on purpose is unlikely.

It states in the email from a few weeks ago that the prices are subject to change but will be honoured for 7 days.

The T&C's say

5.5 If you ask us for a new fixed plan and we change the price of that fixed plan before your new contract starts, we will honour the lower charges if you have asked us to change before your new contract starts.

So if you had fixed when first told then you would have had the cheaper prices, if you had fixed and the prices went down instead of up then they would honour the lower prices.

Looks like it is wise fo fix in again at 49 days then monitor the prices until the new contract goes live.
View original

4 replies

Energy prices change reguarly. Dumping customers on purpose is unlikely.

It states in the email from a few weeks ago that the prices are subject to change but will be honoured for 7 days.

The T&C's say

5.5 If you ask us for a new fixed plan and we change the price of that fixed plan before your new contract starts, we will honour the lower charges if you have asked us to change before your new contract starts.

So if you had fixed when first told then you would have had the cheaper prices, if you had fixed and the prices went down instead of up then they would honour the lower prices.

Looks like it is wise fo fix in again at 49 days then monitor the prices until the new contract goes live.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @ElectricTV - it's also worth mentioning that the annual estimates you mentioned are projections based on your consumption figures. The best way to compare tariffs is by looking at your unit rates and standing charges. This will tell you what you pay per kWh of electricity and gas.
Interesting to note that OVO dropped it's prices again yesterday and I have therefore been able to renew today. I was about to go elsewhere.

I do know that Nancy and my spreadsheet does exactly as you suggest. Prior to yesterday OVO's latest tariff was one of the most expensive I'd found but is now in the pack.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great to hear you're sticking with us, @ElectricTV, it sounds like you're pretty astute regarding tariffs and consumption, I'm glad we were in the right remit, allowing you to remain with us!

Thanks!