Solved

New customer with a smart meter - How do I switch to economy 7

Userlevel 1

My electricity switched today, all has gone smoothly so thanks a lot for that guys.
I would not like to switch us to use economy 7 so how do I proceed with this?
We had a smart meter fitted last year (Secure Liberty 100) so hopefully thats capable of taking economy 7 without any problems and I am hoping OVO can read this one.
I have a Nissan Leaf coming sometime late May so we will switch to the EV account nearer that time.

Kind Regards
Paul
icon

Best answer by Transparent 23 March 2018, 10:45

Hi @paulashby,

See the reply from @Nancy_OVO on this thread a month ago.

If you want further help about adding the consumer unit/trips for the E7 and thence to the Charger Unit for your Leaf, then I suggest you post the questions in the EV section of the Forum where there will be more chance of other EV owners picking it up.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @paulashby,

See the reply from @Nancy_OVO on this thread a month ago.

If you want further help about adding the consumer unit/trips for the E7 and thence to the Charger Unit for your Leaf, then I suggest you post the questions in the EV section of the Forum where there will be more chance of other EV owners picking it up.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, at this stage I was trying to get my account changed from the standard tariff to economy 7
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @paulashby,

That's fine... but on the Forum we can only comment generally of course.
I assume you've put in a request to OVO Customer Services for an upgrade to E7?

Did they tell you what delay might occur to implement this, or is it just a software command which they can issue from their end?
Userlevel 1
Just spoke to someone and its all good, I will be using economy 7 from Monday :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Wow, @paulashby. That quick huh?!

You'd better rush out and get that Leaf.

Are you really sure you want E7 before you have anything to hang off it?
The cost of the normal units is higher when you're on the E7 tariff.
Userlevel 1
MY wife is under instruction to do the endless laundry 4 kids create during the night now and we can delay set the dishwasher so it will make little difference. May is not very far away now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hah!
So are you going to hang the washing machine off a separate E-7 circuit?
Or is the package you're being offered by OVO going to provide all electricity cheaper at night?

(Both concepts of E7 exist, so I'm just checking!).

Although I don't yet have a Smart Meter, I'm gradually switching my house over to off-grid lighting. Currently the batteries have possible inputs from
  • Solar PV
  • Wind-turbine

and if they run low I can hook up a charger.

However, a future option is to automatically charge the batteries on a cheap tariff if their stored-charge is below a preset threshold.

If there is a power-cut then I'd rather not also be plunged into darkness.

Once I'm more confident, I'll be changing out all my inefficient mains power supplies (phone-chargers, HiFi etc) for DC-DC converters running from the same off-grid battery supply.

.... just a thought. It depends how technical you want to be.

In my experience (4 kids too), the older they grow, the more devices they acquire with separate mains transformer plugs. Yuch!
Userlevel 1
Now I am starting to get confused, as I understood things everything I use after midnight (or there about) for 7 hours would be at the lower rate. I do not have my welcome pack as yet so I guess it will show more details about this.
I like the idea of charging batteries for day use, for us the house is not ideal for Solar PV panels but my long term plan is to build a new house on our field that will be designed to make the most of solar PV and all the green tech I can get into it, I would also like a turbine as we do get some decent wind being on top of the only hill for miles.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Please don't be confused!
It is indeed overwhelmingly likely that everything consuming power between 12-7 will use the lower E7 rate.

However there is another way in which E-7 is sometimes implemented whereby the inbuilt timer in the Smart Meter feeds cheap-rate electricity to a second/separate consumer unit between those hours. Traditionally this arrangement is used by houses with night-storage radiators.

I'm just trying to make you aware of the two alternatives so that you understand what you're getting. I'm assuming that OVO are not expecting you to implement the installation of this second consumer unit.

I like your future ideas for the new house. I'm a self-builder and a member of the local Transition Towns group where we discuss green tech ideas over pints of real ale :cool:
We had a smart meter installed by OVO quite a while back. Who should we contact to get it set for Economy 7? Will the day time rate remain the same?
Thank you.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close