Solved

Lumo Energy not available in my region - why?

• 11 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
My latest OVO bill told me on page 1 that I could save £112.50 a year if I switched to the Lumo Energy App-Only Fixed tariff provided by OVO "sister brand" Lumo Energy. I visited Lumo's website and completed their questionnaire - which generated the message "The Lumo tariff is not yet available for your property". Come on OVO and Lumo! Get your act together and don't waste customers' time with spurious/irrelevant switch information. And while I'm on the subject of time-wasting comms from OVO, this week I received an OVO email inviting me to take up their Corgi Home Plan boiler offer. But I've already signed up for Corgi via OVO, so this offer is irrelevant. My basic point is that OVO needs to sharpen up its use of its customer database to ensure that customers only receive switch and marketing information that is relevant and useful to them.
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 12 December 2017, 16:35

Hi @RobC & @G57l

Thanks for your comments around this, we totally agree its a frustrating user journey. We did work very hard to try and avoid this happening, however the cheaper tariff messaging is set by the industry in regards to how this is calculated and we have been unable to change this to take into account our customers current circumstances.

As its a regulatory change, we cannot amend it as it applies to all suppliers.

It's worth noting that you can only move to Lumo on dual fuel, you cannot move just one fuel.

Darran

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

15 replies

Ha - this made me laugh. I just had a chat with Ovo CS to ask what this Lumo thing was that alleged to be able to save me £100 on my gas bill, given that I get both gas and elec (i.e. dual fuel) but for elec I was pretty much on the best tariff apparently. So if I switch to Lumo for gas what happens to Better Energy for dual fuel? Unfathomable. So if they want us to be 'online only' they really do need to improve the quality and detail of such communications. In case anyone hasn't figured it out, you can ONLY get Lumo if you do not have a smart meter and agree to have one installed. Well that was enough to turn me off. Shame I had to do the research myself via the Lumo site to find that out. So my question re dual fuel becomes academic for me, but others may still want to know how that works! I assume in your case you are not in an area where smart meters are available (though goodness knows why that should be the case).
Userlevel 1
Hi G571, I'm glad I wasn't the only person who found the Lumo stuff irritating. In answer to the point you rightly raise about smart meters, I too read on the Lumo website that you can't have the Lumo app tariff if you already have a smart meter. The fact is that I already have OVO smart meters. Therefore OVO know I have smart meters because they arranged for them to be fitted and use them for readings. So there's another reason why OVO should not have highlighted the Lumo tariff on my bill. I'm disqualifed from this Lumo tariff.
Re already having smart meters, you have my sympathy. (Yes, I am very anti them.) You'd think a simple database query/switch that said "suppress Lumo info/mailing if SM field = yes" would not be hard, eh? Or even, as I suggested to CS, add the detail to the Lumo guff on the statement (e.g. *"Lumo only available if no SM installed and does require having new SM installed"). Would have saved both of us and no doubt many others quite a few minutes in aggregate (as well as lots of CS time from having answer the same Q umpteen times).
Hey-ho.
No idea about how I'd get a dual fuel deal or what it would be with a Lumo SM for gas and std elec meter...'cos apparently I'm better off on Better for elec, but not for gas. Go figure. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @RobC & @G57l

Thanks for your comments around this, we totally agree its a frustrating user journey. We did work very hard to try and avoid this happening, however the cheaper tariff messaging is set by the industry in regards to how this is calculated and we have been unable to change this to take into account our customers current circumstances.

As its a regulatory change, we cannot amend it as it applies to all suppliers.

It's worth noting that you can only move to Lumo on dual fuel, you cannot move just one fuel.

Darran

Updated on 12/07/2019
What? Lumo is ONLY dual fuel? Ye Gods. So you are telling me I can get a trivially slightly better deal on elec with Ovo, but really I'm on much the best deal, but for gas I can get a much better deal with Lumo, BUT ONLY IF I MOVE MY ELEC TO LUMO TOO!!

I do understand that some of this is due to regulatory prescription and inflexibility, but really.

(As an aside, clearly the regulator's actions indicate that they do not like dual fuel deals despite that being every suppliers avowed objective.)

I buy dual fuel assuming a supplier will give me a better deal overall. It seems I am misguided. I would say that I should now review whether separate suppliers for gas and elec may benefit me, but - hang on - suppliers like Lumo ONLY OFFER duel fuel! No wonder this market is a mess and so few people bother switching.

What I want from Ovo is an annual usage statement on a dual fuel basis not on the basis of having two different supplies which happen to be from the same company. I guess the regulator does not permit you to do that with the forms you are mandated to send out, but you could surely send out additional communications: "Here are the 2 separate docs we have to send by law, but here is what the very best tariff for you would be with us on dual fuel basis - so you can compare THAT with other suppliers' dual fuel deals" - something like that would be a darn sight more helpful, and transparent than the confusing nonsense currently sent.
Userlevel 1
Hi Darran, many thanks for the explanation. I now appreciate that OVO cannot avoid putting frustrating switch notifications on bills because it's mandated industry practice to do so. As G571 has suggested, I hope that OVO will continue to look for ways to side-step such industry and regulatory shortcomings. Hopefully OVO management will also continue to press for the resolution of other industry failings such as the non-standardisation of smart meters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Well I've just received my first Statement. I "went live" with OVO for gas & elec on 8th Dec. The Statement was for just electricity, and just for the first 7 days supply, and it had an estimated reading.
Yet somehow it was able to predict that I could save over £170 /yr by switching to Lumo Energy. There's a lot of guesswork to derive that figure!

So I checked out Lumo and found:

a. There's a more established business in Australia called Lumo Energy, which is also an energy retailer (founded 2010)

b. Lumo's proper name is actually Lumo Online Ltd (not Lumo Energy), and it was incorporated in April 2017

c. The Lumo website doesn't provide the company registration number or Registered Address - a requirement of the Companies Act 2006

None of this gives the right impression.
The major selling points for OVO are "Customer Service", "Fairness", and basically "doing things right".
The Lumo brand doesn't sit well within what I like about OVO.

Are you really sure you want this confusing message sent out to us new customers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Transparent

Thanks for your feedback on Lumo, in regards to the cheaper tariff messaging, as I mentioned above, this is something we have to include on all statements, its required by the industry, so whether your bill is based on actual readings, or estimates, we have to include it.

I have fed back your comment re the company address to our website team for them to look into.

Darran
Userlevel 1
I too looked at the Lumo website after seeing this information on my bill. Unfortunately it gives very little information about the company. I already have a smart meter, so am apparently ineligible. However, although I do use the Ovo app occasionally, I prefer to access my account through a computer with a proper keyboard and large screen most of the time, so having an app-only account would not appeal to me.

What I really want to know is: what does "sister brand" mean? What is the exact relationship of Lumo to Ovo?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
In response to @Bonzo Kelly, Lumo Online was set up in April 2017 by three of the same directors at the heart of OVO. Search for Lumo Online Ltd at Companies House if you want the details.

At first it seems to have been intended as a price comparison site, but has morphed into an online-only energy supplier, offering similar (but cheaper) dual-fuel contracts as OVO itself. It's expensive to run an energy-supply company, so if the account administration can be more online, then this helps reduce costs. So it makes good sense, and Lumo Online is therefore a "sister company" operating under the OVO brand.

BTW, I think we must stick to calling it Lumo Online Ltd (LOL for short!). Lumo Ltd also exists in the UK, but is involved in TV production! This could all get very confusing.

OVO has far-reaching strategies for the future of energy sales and administration within the UK. It is good news to see it developing these ideas either through sister companies or acquisitions, such as they did with VCharge UK Ltd in Feb 2017.
Userlevel 1
Thanks @Transparent for this useful information.

I am puzzled why people who already have smart meters cannot switch to Lumo. I assume it is because smart meters from different energy suppliers are incompatible at present, so most meters that are already installed will not be same as the meter Lumo use.

However, if Lumo is a "sister company" to Ovo, perhaps the meters they are using are the same, in which case why can existing Ovo customers who already have smart meters not switch to Lumo?

The reason does not seem to be stated on the Lumo website, and there does not seem to be a 'Contact Us' method for making general enquiries, so I am hoping that someone from Ovo can answer this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmm. Good points @Bonzo Kelly. I too am a little puzzled.

As I understand it, there are just two main types of Smart electricity meter at the moment, referred to as ADM and SMETS1. Both use the mobile phone network to transmit data rather than sending it directly to your energy supplier. OVO Energy use SMETS1.

I don't as yet have a smart meter, and I wouldn't one until the industry all moves to the forthcoming SMETS2 type, which will be universally acceptable to all providers. I will then re-evaluate once I know its functionality.

I can see why Lumo Online might wish to reject customers with ADM meters, but if that was the case I can't see why they don't say "Acceptance subject to compatability", and then run a check to see if the potential customer has a SMETS1. So I'm guessing it might be more complex than that.

Perhaps some kind Community Manager could tell us whether the restriction is
a. technical
b. regulatory
c. administrative

and whether the issue will go away once it becomes possible for a customer to upgrade to a SMETS2?

Pleeeease? 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey Transparent,

The team have advised me of the following;

“The Lumo Tariff offer includes a discount, subject to the customer having a Smart installed within the first 6 months of their supply. The only tariff we currently offer requires us to install Smart meters, which is why we currently don't support customers that already have a Smart meter”.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks @Lucy_OVO,
So in a nutshell it's "c" (administrative).

That's ok. It means that OVO is using LOL as a way of running a different set of tariffs, and hence appealing to a section of the market who might not otherwise have chosen OVO themselves.

Nevertheless, returning to the reason this thread started in the first place, It shows that the regulatory obligations aren't actually allowing OVO to make a sensible decision on whether to show an alternative LOL tariff is available when you send out invoices to existing customers.

Your database must already show you which customers have single-fuel contracts and/or an existing Smart Meter. It would be reasonable not to offer an LOL alternative to those customers.... who will needlessly be encouraged check out an LOL tariff which they can't migrate to.

Feel free to bounce this to the Regulator...

... or if you're not permitted to do so, tell us the email address to write to and let the Community make its voice heard!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I see what you’re saying here @Transparent. Lumo has been designed to target a different area of the market to appeal to customers who would like an app online based service. As Darran mentioned, the comparison is something that we have to include on all statements as it’s an industry regulation.

Lucy