Is it time to renew?


Userlevel 7
Badge +2
  • Community Moderator
  • 914 replies



Has it come round to that time of year again already? We want you to share your renewal experiences with us. What are your options? Not sure of the process, or if you're even in your renewal period yet? This is the place to find those answers, so get sharing!

48 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
My renewal came up in early December 2016. OVO let me know it was approaching with like 6 or 7 weeks notice, which was ace. I was aware that energy prices were rising rapidly so I got on the case as soon as possible, and renewed on My OVO, which was ridiculously easy. I just chose the plan I wanted and clicked on it, and Done... I managed to fix my rates before a second wave of price rises. Had I waited til renewal day I'd have had a higher quote...

I did glance around for other quotes, and did find some that appeared cheaper, but it really isn't just about the money, and I don't have much, but I'd rather be with a company like OVO who price honestly and transparently, who provide a truly great website so I can keep an eye on my energy account, and have amazing friendly staff who so far without exception have been friendly, super-helpful and knowedgeable, and answer the phone in just a couple of minutes.

My account is "online" so I try to avoid calling. If I do have to call OVO it's for something important, and so far I've been massively impressed with the service.

A few extra quid for honesty, simplicity and customer service? No brainer...
Userlevel 1
My renewal is due mid April...that's plenty of time to shop around. I got cold feet when I read I would have £30 each gas/leccy exit fee so rang and was very impressed with the quick helpful response. When it was clearly explained it turns out its only charged in this way if you leave before the 12 months agreement is up. If my OVO charges next year are anywhere close to the good value I've had for the previous 18 months then I'm happy. Transparent charges, bills, statements and easy to adjust payments. :)
If I renew my contract today, will the new contract start from today or from when my current contract runs out?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Good question! It will start from when your old contract expires to make sure there’s no overlap.

Lucy
Userlevel 1
My two year contract ends in April. I have been quoted new prices. Using my typical energy amounts, for a new two year contract the increases are:
Gas 31% Electricity 24%.
OVO say there is a small increase. Small!?!
This is far worse that the large comanies that get so much publicity when they increase prices.
What is OVO up to?
I received an email about fixing my monthly payment for 2 years. I could not manage to do this on the website and emailed you about it but still have not got a reply. How do I do this and does it incur any charges?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
kateascatherine wrote:

I received an email about fixing my monthly payment for 2 years. I could not manage to do this on the website and emailed you about it but still have not got a reply. How do I do this and does it incur any charges?



Hey kateascatherine,

It sounds like your contract is up for renewal. If you’d like to fix into our 2 year plan, you’ll be able to do this by logging into your My OVO account. If you're having trouble with this, please give our Customer Care team a call. Their details can be found here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/contact.

What other users have recently renewed? Are you able to offer kateascatherine any advice?

Lucy
Userlevel 1
My two year contract ends in April. I have been quoted new prices. Using my typical energy amounts, for a new two year contract the increases are:
Gas 31% Electricity 24%.
OVO say there is a small increase. Small!?!
This is far worse than the large comanies that get so much publicity when they increase prices.
What is OVO up to?
Userlevel 1
Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
DragonPower wrote:

Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)



Hey DragonPower,

A few other people have commented on our renewal topic so I thought I’d move your comment over to it so other users can help you out too!

It’s up to you how you’d like to go about it. If you’d like to fix into a contract now, you’ll be able to renew and your new contract will come into effect once your current one has expired. Alternatively, you can renew once your current contract is up.

It’s hard to say whether the prices we can offer now will have changed, as we never know when there will be a price increase or decrease. You can always check what the best price we can offer is by checking our Quote and Switch page here: https://switch.ovoenergy.com/get-quote, but we’ll also send you a communication to let you know.

Lucy
If I stay on my current plan I will pay £160 a month and the unit rates are
Gas 2.91 p/kwh. Electric 13.43p/kwh

If I sign up for a two year fixed plan my monthly payment goes down to £144 but the unit prices go UP ! Gas 3.04p/kwh. Electric 13.93 p/kwh

How does that work ????????? Confused .com
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
DizzyLizzy wrote:

If I stay on my current plan I will pay £160 a month and the unit rates are
Gas 2.91 p/kwh. Electric 13.43p/kwh

If I sign up for a two year fixed plan my monthly payment goes down to £144 but the unit prices go UP ! Gas 3.04p/kwh. Electric 13.93 p/kwh

How does that work ????????? Confused .com



Hi DizzyLizzy, love the username by the way! Why not set up a profile picture as well?

Yep this estimate doesn't really make sense, but then again, I don't quite understand where you're seeing this info. It sounds like you're up for a contract renewal (that's why I've moved this query to a renewal topic), but you're not able to stay on the same tariff when you renew. Our prices would have changed since you last fixed. So to help me understand this, could you PM me with your account number, full name and DoB? I'll check this for myself.

Thanks,
Tim
Userlevel 1
my contract is up in june. had the email to renew now, was happy to stay with ovo until i looked at the quote. from a payment of £60 a month to £74, so have done a comparison and can get a cheaper rate, so sorry ovo i will be leaving you.
Userlevel 2
My renewal comes up at the end of June. I get offered the 2 year fix. The unit cost is much higher and my payments would go from 70 up to 81 pounds a month. Other companies look more competitive. I like the quality of service if I ever have to phone up, but wonder if it is worth fixing for 2 years, gambling that I may pay over the odds, or go for a one-year fix and just shop around for the cheapest deal. Any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
bournefree wrote:

My renewal comes up at the end of June. I get offered the 2 year fix. The unit cost is much higher and my payments would go from 70 up to 81 pounds a month. Other companies look more competitive. I like the quality of service if I ever have to phone up, but wonder if it is worth fixing for 2 years, gambling that I may pay over the odds, or go for a one-year fix and just shop around for the cheapest deal. Any thoughts?



Hi @bournefree welcome to the forum and thanks for posting!

It's a great point you've raised here: I personally prefer a decent quality of service and the fact 33% of my electricity is from green sources, over a cheaper provider and decided, despite OVO being slightly dearer during my annual comparison to stay with them - the benefits for the environment to me are actually priceless!

Given I've had nothing but hell from the big 6, I would always favour OVO over them, despite the slight price difference.

Having said that I know OVO encourage all their customers to shop around to ensure they are getting the best deal for them, the choice really is yours - it would be a shame to see you leave the OVO family however thats a decision for you to gets what's best for you.

Which ever way you decide it would be great to know what you decided and also get other forum members thoughts on this!

Have a lovely weekend.
Userlevel 2
Matt, I agree it is good regarding the renewable sources. I also like that OVO is not the big 6. Nonetheless, there are other companies popping up like OVO which are very similar, e.g. Tonik.

When I moved to OVO a few years ago it was because of the price, ethos and web pages. The phone support has been excellent, so polite and friendly. There are quite a few things that could be done to improve the internet service, including how to join the forums! , oh and the usage graphs, which they have promised to update for ages and haven't, and always estimate I'll forever use more energy. I wouldn't mind giving them some suggestions.

Maybe I'll have to create a spreadsheet to compare offers, but this takes time, as you need to input the unit cost, the standing order cost, cashback, etc. Then guess how prices will go in future!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
bournefree wrote:

Matt, I agree it is good regarding the renewable sources. I also like that OVO is not the big 6. Nonetheless, there are other companies popping up like OVO which are very similar, e.g. Tonik.

When I moved to OVO a few years ago it was because of the price, ethos and web pages. The phone support has been excellent, so polite and friendly. There are quite a few things that could be done to improve the internet service, including how to join the forums! , oh and the usage graphs, which they have promised to update for ages and haven't, and always estimate I'll forever use more energy. I wouldn't mind giving them some suggestions.

Maybe I'll have to create a spreadsheet to compare offers, but this takes time, as you need to input the unit cost, the standing order cost, cashback, etc. Then guess how prices will go in future!



Hi @bournefree thanks for posting back :)

I'm pleased to hear you've had such great service from OVO to date, however it is a shame to hear there are a few areas that you feel could do with some improvements.

To ensure you're thoughts and feedback is recorded my advice would be to click either @Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO or @Darran_OVO, then click send private message - please include your full name, address and OVO account number and all the feedback you want to pass on and they will pass it onto the right department and get back to you as soon as they can! OVO are always open to feedback.

In relation to joining the forum - it's still early days so please do ensure you include specific feedback :-)

In relation to doing your comparisons - it's a minefield and I'm not that dedicated to the hassle of switching when I'm content with OVO - when I say hell with the big 6 - I've been with everyone of them and been to the ombudsman, my view is that these other newbies on the block need time to establish properly - it's inevitable they will experience teething problems for customers whilst the business gets going - with a high possibility of negative impact on customers - I've already decided - it will be at least two years before I consider switching away from OVO however as I say the choice is yours :)

Nevertheless please do let us know how you get on and what you decide - hey if you do decide to switch - you're always very welcome back here at OVO :)
Userlevel 2
bournefree wrote:

My renewal comes up at the end of June. I get offered the 2 year fix. The unit cost is much higher and my payments would go from 70 up to 81 pounds a month. Other companies look more competitive. I like the quality of service if I ever have to phone up, but wonder if it is worth fixing for 2 years, gambling that I may pay over the odds, or go for a one-year fix and just shop around for the cheapest deal. Any thoughts?



Does the monthly payment amount include any credit on my account (thereby lowering the monthly amount payable? When I do a search as a new customer (giving full details e.g. postcode and usage), the price comes up much higher for a 2 year fix online. The unit costs and standing order charges are £11 pm higher.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
bournefree wrote:

bournefree wrote:

My renewal comes up at the end of June. I get offered the 2 year fix. The unit cost is much higher and my payments would go from 70 up to 81 pounds a month. Other companies look more competitive. I like the quality of service if I ever have to phone up, but wonder if it is worth fixing for 2 years, gambling that I may pay over the odds, or go for a one-year fix and just shop around for the cheapest deal. Any thoughts?



Does the monthly payment amount include any credit on my account (thereby lowering the monthly amount payable? When I do a search as a new customer (giving full details e.g. postcode and usage), the price comes up much higher for a 2 year fix online. The unit costs and standing order charges are £11 pm higher.



Hi @bournefree thanks for your post.

My first recommendation would be to check out this handy info on renewing here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/my-ovo/how-do-i-renew-in-my-ovo.html it includes a step by step to doing this online.

If you're still getting nowhere the next port of call would be to contact OVO either by phone or online ( if using an online platform please include your full name, address, OVO account number and brief explanation to your query)

Hopefully you get a quote you're happy with - please do let us know how you get on!

We encourage everyone to get the best deal for them!
Userlevel 1
DragonPower wrote:

Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)



I am in the same situation. My renewal is early June and I have looked around and can make savings but I like the customer service and facilities I have with OVO.

I am now debating which plan to renew to - the 12 month or 2 year - the 2 year is slightly dearer than the one year but, i am thinking in a year could the energy have gone down or stayed the same do I risk one year contact and hope it doesnt go up or the 2 year and hope it doesnt go down?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SquidLady wrote:

DragonPower wrote:

Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)



I am in the same situation. My renewal is early June and I have looked around and can make savings but I like the customer service and facilities I have with OVO.

I am now debating which plan to renew to - the 12 month or 2 year - the 2 year is slightly dearer than the one year but, i am thinking in a year could the energy have gone down or stayed the same do I risk one year contact and hope it doesnt go up or the 2 year and hope it doesnt go down?



Hi @SquidLady thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm you're in a dilemma here: if I where you with all the uncertain economic future and possibilities for major prices increased I would take the risk and fix to a two year deal giving me that security that I know one thing for sure isn't going to rise!

As I say the choice is yours - what do others think?
Userlevel 1
My renewal was in February and I wanted a 2 year fix. It wasnt offered to me so I sugned up separately. It was suggested that an online account wasnt right for me because I had had to phone you last year. The phone call was about your incompetence.

After renewal I have had no requests for meter readings but sent them anyway. Still didnt get a bill. Asked here and got no joy so phoned up. Now my monthly meter readings have disappeared but at least I have a bill - estimated.

Dont think I'll be staying with Ovo when this fix ends and I'm thinking of paying the money to get out now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
buzzard wrote:

My renewal was in February and I wanted a 2 year fix. It wasnt offered to me so I sugned up separately. It was suggested that an online account wasnt right for me because I had had to phone you last year. The phone call was about your incompetence.

After renewal I have had no requests for meter readings but sent them anyway. Still didnt get a bill. Asked here and got no joy so phoned up. Now my monthly meter readings have disappeared but at least I have a bill - estimated.

Dont think I'll be staying with Ovo when this fix ends and I'm thinking of paying the money to get out now.


Hi @buzzard I'm really sorry to hear of these issues, please see my other reply https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/why-my-ovo-asking-for-readings-when-ive-got-a-smart-meter-299/index1.html#post1496

Hopefully they can get this fixed for you!
Userlevel 1
Mattj3135 wrote:

SquidLady wrote:

DragonPower wrote:

Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)



I am in the same situation. My renewal is early June and I have looked around and can make savings but I like the customer service and facilities I have with OVO.

I am now debating which plan to renew to - the 12 month or 2 year - the 2 year is slightly dearer than the one year but, i am thinking in a year could the energy have gone down or stayed the same do I risk one year contact and hope it doesnt go up or the 2 year and hope it doesnt go down?



Hi @SquidLady thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm you're in a dilemma here: if I where you with all the uncertain economic future and possibilities for major prices increased I would take the risk and fix to a two year deal giving me that security that I know one thing for sure isn't going to rise!

As I say the choice is yours - what do others think?



Thanks for the reply Matt,
How do i know if the quote is teh cheapest tariff you offer as in my statement it mentions i could save more with the Fairer Power tariff? SO will my quote be the cheapest OVO can offer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SquidLady wrote:

Mattj3135 wrote:

SquidLady wrote:

DragonPower wrote:

Hi

I am no good with comparing electric company's or energy plans etc

I am on the better energy plan which has 3 months remaining on it and will have to change the plan I am on

There is a fixed 2 year plan that Ovo are doing however this means that the cost per unit is higher than what I am currently on and thus meaning I will have to increase my direct debit

Presume I am better off staying on my current plan as long as possible and when it's about to end then swap ?

That being the case how can I tell which plan to swap to ?

I have a smart meter which I believe is set to update every 30 mins or so

Thanks for any help and or advise in advance

:)



I am in the same situation. My renewal is early June and I have looked around and can make savings but I like the customer service and facilities I have with OVO.

I am now debating which plan to renew to - the 12 month or 2 year - the 2 year is slightly dearer than the one year but, i am thinking in a year could the energy have gone down or stayed the same do I risk one year contact and hope it doesnt go up or the 2 year and hope it doesnt go down?



Hi @SquidLady thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm you're in a dilemma here: if I where you with all the uncertain economic future and possibilities for major prices increased I would take the risk and fix to a two year deal giving me that security that I know one thing for sure isn't going to rise!

As I say the choice is yours - what do others think?



Thanks for the reply Matt,
How do i know if the quote is teh cheapest tariff you offer as in my statement it mentions i could save more with the Fairer Power tariff? SO will my quote be the cheapest OVO can offer?



Im sure the quote given by ovo will be the cheapest they can offer you. It is really up to you to decide if you'd benefit from switching suppliers - factoring in everything and not just cost.

I Hope that you stay, but i do encourage everyone to get the best deal for them.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close