Solved

I have an Economy 10 meter but you don't have a tariff to match it - why?

Hi - I had just purchased a property with a dual meter and is currently on an OVO economy 10 tariff.
I see from your website that economy 10 tariff is no longer available - is this currently the case?
Is the dual meter installed suitable for Economy 10 and Economy 7 tariffs?
Should I be looking at Economy 7 tariffs across all service providers as the preferred option to suit the dual meter?
Is a dual meter the best option as there is no gas supply and storage heaters are the only source of heating.?
Are smart meters available for dual meters?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 12 July 2017, 15:27

Ians wrote:

Hi - I had just purchased a property with a dual meter and is currently on an OVO economy 10 tariff.
I see from your website that economy 10 tariff is no longer available - is this currently the case?
Should I be looking at Economy 7 tariffs across all service providers as the preferred option to suit the dual meter?
Is a dual meter the best option as there is no gas supply and storage heaters are the only source of heating.?

Hi @Ians

There's a good few questions here on the Economy 10 meter set up. So good in fact, that I've tweaked the title and added some tags, to make it the go to topic on this subject.

You're right in saying that OVO don't offer bespoke Economy 10 tariffs. This kind of tariff would be 3 or more unit rates, applicable at different times of the day. Instead, any OVO customer with an Economy 10 meter uses our Economy 7 tariff, with an 'off peak' and 'peak' unit rate. So whenever you get your 10 hours of cheap energy, it's this 'off peak' unit rate that will be used.

When you get a smart meter fitted, you'll lose the Economy 10 hours. We can set up a smart meter with a 'peak' and 'off peak' Economy 7 set up - it's up to you. By the sounds of it, this would be beneficial. Storage heaters on during the night will mean this night time usage will be at or above the 35% mark: roughly what we say would make this type of tariff economically viable.

To get a smart meter fitted, check out the customer facing booking platforms here:

If you're a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus.

If you're a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

Hope this helps,
Tim

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Ians wrote:

Hi @Ians

There's a good few questions here on the Economy 10 meter set up. So good in fact, that I've tweaked the title and added some tags, to make it the go to topic on this subject.

You're right in saying that OVO don't offer bespoke Economy 10 tariffs. This kind of tariff would be 3 or more unit rates, applicable at different times of the day. Instead, any OVO customer with an Economy 10 meter uses our Economy 7 tariff, with an 'off peak' and 'peak' unit rate. So whenever you get your 10 hours of cheap energy, it's this 'off peak' unit rate that will be used.

When you get a smart meter fitted, you'll lose the Economy 10 hours. We can set up a smart meter with a 'peak' and 'off peak' Economy 7 set up - it's up to you. By the sounds of it, this would be beneficial. Storage heaters on during the night will mean this night time usage will be at or above the 35% mark: roughly what we say would make this type of tariff economically viable.

To get a smart meter fitted, check out the customer facing booking platforms here:

If you're a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus.

If you're a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Does OvO do Eco 10? I know they do Eco 7. If they do are the prices different?
Good question, @Bara-Bus

I've moved your query into this topic as you'll hopefully find the answers here!

Emma
Emma_OVO wrote:

Good question, @Bara-Bus

I've moved your query into this topic as you'll hopefully find the answers here!

Emma

I never ever want a smart meter.
Also their not smart as no-one here can connect to them unless your within 50 feet.
Plus they are potential hazard to people a little stressed as it increases the heart rate as & when they look at them. If they are really stressed they'd be trying to save all the pennies when it's not worth the stress.
I'm one of these people. Just want the price of electricity to be the same for everyone.
This sets a dangerous precedent... What your saying is Eco 10 is being scrapped? If so how are people with desperate needs like myself going to keep warm if on a Eco 7 tariff? Electric is so much better than gas, this also seems to be forcing people to use gas?
Userlevel 2
We're not scrapping Economy 10 tariffs, @Bara-Bus, as we don't offer a plan specifically for Economy 10 at the moment.

When an Economy 10 customer comes on supply with us, their off peak and peak times remain the same. The rates would just be based on our Economy 7 tariff.

Eva
We recently moved into an over sixties apartment block. The apartment has economy ten. Our fellow homeowners recommended we change our energy supplier to Ovo. We signed up to a two year fixed tariff and were given a monthly price of £65 per month. After the first month our reading showed £84. We know that OVO do not currently support economy ten but we understand we should be benefiting from economy seven but not sure if we are. We have tried to use appliances at off peak times and the heating has not been on over the August period. Our meter number is: DO8W606589.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Brendap, we've had a few customer asking about this so I've moved your post onto this topic. Check out Tim's "Best Answer" for more information!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings