Solved

Fixed plan ending soon - do I have to get a smart meter if I renew?

• 13 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi,
My 2 year fixed plan ends soon and having had the new plans there is one point that is not explained. If I renew on a two year plan there is insinuation that I have to have a smart meter.
Do I have to or not?
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 13 July 2019, 15:49

Hi

As far as I am aware there is no requirement to have a smart meter on a 2 year fixed tariff, is this the plan you are looking at? (Some prepayment meter options do require a smart meter- but I am not familiar with these and I think Lumo, which is OVO's sister company does require smart meters). Can you tell me what plan you are looking at and what it actually says regarding smart meters?

I am on a 2 year fixed plan and do not have a smart meter. OVO offered me one a few years ago, I refused and OVO have been very good at not chasing me about this once I made it clear I was not interested.
View original

7 replies

Hi

As far as I am aware there is no requirement to have a smart meter on a 2 year fixed tariff, is this the plan you are looking at? (Some prepayment meter options do require a smart meter- but I am not familiar with these and I think Lumo, which is OVO's sister company does require smart meters). Can you tell me what plan you are looking at and what it actually says regarding smart meters?

I am on a 2 year fixed plan and do not have a smart meter. OVO offered me one a few years ago, I refused and OVO have been very good at not chasing me about this once I made it clear I was not interested.
Hi Phil,
OVO asked me if I wanted one some time back, didn't and as you say have been good in not chasing. A few companies are getting their quota by back door methods. Below is a copy of what is I ambiguous (having just re-read it Lumo are mentioned on the gas whereas my 2 year fixed quote is OVO Gas Ltd):

Your future annual cost and consumption (based on actual usage where available, or what we estimated you used,
over the last 12 months)
Based on your tariff, energy use and you moving onto our variable plan after your contract ends (including VAT, excluding
any add-ons, discounts and the Warm Home Discount if you're eligible) we believe you’ll use 3,642 kWh of electricity and
23,233 kWh of gas in the next 12 months. We believe this will cost you £1771.99**.
You could receive £7.50 per fuel per calendar quarter by fixing onto an All Online tariff and meeting our Self Service
Reward requirements****.
For electricity
2 Year Fixed Energy - Economy 7
You could save: £32.62***
Our cheapest similar electricity tariff
2 Year Fixed Energy - Economy 7
You could save: £32.62***
Our cheapest overall electricity tariff
For gas
Our cheapest similar gas tariff
Lumo Energy Online Fixed
You could save: £260.87***
Lumo Energy Online Fixed
You could save: £260.87***
Our cheapest overall gas tariff
This saving does not take into account your current Self Service Reward.
Some of these tariffs may be provided by Lumo Energy - a sister brand of OVO Energy (OVO). You will be required to manage your account
entirely via their smartphone app. This tariff is only available if you don't already have a smart meter, and agree to have one installed. If you
want to move to one of these tariffs you'll need to initiate the switch yourself via their website (www.lumoapp.co.uk) or smartphone app. The
switch will take an average of 21 days to occur.
Hi

As you mention, its the Lumo tariffs that do require a smart meter. They are quoting the Lumo tariffs as they are the cheaper option but if you do not want a smart meter you dont have to choose them. You can choose to stick will OVO tarrifs for both electricity and gas like better energy or 2 year fixed with OVO if you wish and have a similar deal to the one you are on now.

I assume OVO have given you prices for a range of tariffs to choose from?

As you mention its important to read all the detail of any fixed tariff, especially when you are tied to it for 1-2 years and there are exit fees if you are not happy and want to leave early.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Snorbins and @Phil_H,

Lumo are a subsidiary of OVO, and an app-only, smart meter based service. Under industry regulations, we have to show customers the cheapest available rates on any tariffs under our trading license on this section of your bill. Unfortunately not all customers may be eligible for these tariffs, though.

Hope this helps!
The fact that cheaper tariffs are available but only if you have a 'smart meter' is bribery, to try and hit a government target??

Anyway I have my figures so need to make a decision.
Thanks Phil_H and Nancy.
Userlevel 5
There's been some confusion here, @Snorbins & @Phil_H. To switch to Lumo you can't already have a smart meter, but they'll need to install one within the first 6 months of your contract. It's not bribery or to hit a government target, it's an app only service aimed to work hand in hand with the smart meter.
Thanks Eva but wont be going to Lumo.