Solved

Economy 7, smart meter or both required for cheaper electricity?

• 3 March 2019
  • 4 replies

Right I've spent several hours looking at this and no supplier seems forthcoming with actual helpful information in order for me to make a conclusion.
We have an EV car which is costing a fair amount on OVOs standard kwh tariff as it charges overnight, their EV tariff seems odd as the kwh is actually more than the standard rate tariff costs (albeit you get green energy, polar for free doesn't actually benefit us and doesn't justify the switch) hence me looking into economy 7 and variable tariffs (as some suppliers offer lower kwh for 4-5 hrs overnight) Some getting to my point at long last is Do you need to get a dual meter installed to run economy 7 or will getting a smart meter (as ovo suggest in there blurb) be able to differentiate this? And I see on OVO website and forum that trying to find out what the actual unit prices are and when it comes into affect is like trying find a needle in a haystack....where on the site does it actually give you the E7 tariffs???
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 12 March 2019, 18:46

Hey @Ayemonkey,

You'd need to already have an Economy 7 meter in the property in order to sign up and switch to us on a 2-rate tariff. If you have a traditional meter, it'll have two readings and say 'multi-rate' on it. If that's the case, you're good to go.

If the meter is traditional and single rate, unfortunately you wouldn't be able to sign up to a 2-rate tariff as it's not compatible with the meter type and the switch would be cancelled.

If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate (the meter brand would be 'Secure' and the serial number on the electricity meter would begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, 17P or 18P), then you can choose whether you want a single rate or dual rate tariff and we'll set your meter up accordingly when you switch to us and we connect to it. If you have a smart meter that we cant connect to, unfortunately the same applies as with a traditional single rate meter.

Hope this makes sense! Pop any questions in the comments below.
View original

4 replies

It doesn't tell you. I had the same frustrating problem. Called and Emailed OVO direct in the end and got a different Eco 7 rate by email
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Ayemonkey,

You'd need to already have an Economy 7 meter in the property in order to sign up and switch to us on a 2-rate tariff. If you have a traditional meter, it'll have two readings and say 'multi-rate' on it. If that's the case, you're good to go.

If the meter is traditional and single rate, unfortunately you wouldn't be able to sign up to a 2-rate tariff as it's not compatible with the meter type and the switch would be cancelled.

If you have a smart meter with which we can communicate (the meter brand would be 'Secure' and the serial number on the electricity meter would begin with 14P, 15P, 16P, 17P or 18P), then you can choose whether you want a single rate or dual rate tariff and we'll set your meter up accordingly when you switch to us and we connect to it. If you have a smart meter that we cant connect to, unfortunately the same applies as with a traditional single rate meter.

Hope this makes sense! Pop any questions in the comments below.
Hi Nancy,

Still not completely clear, if we had a smart meter rather than standard meter as I know you need the two readings for e7 traditionally, would just having the smart meter be sufficient for the dual rate or would we still need to change the meter to dual and have a smart meter??????
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Ayemonkey - as long as this smart meter was made by the manufacturer 'Secure' (these are the models we can communicate with), then yes this would be sufficient.