Solved

Economy 7 or gas - which is cheapest?

• 15 December 2017
  • 2 replies

We have just inherited a central heating and hot water system in our new home.
It comprises of a gas boiler linked to a large Sadia megaflow hot water cylinder which is very well insulated.
We have such a system in our French home and find it is fine used only at night for our hot water requirement
Next day. ?
I spoke with Sadia and they confirmed that the hot water is topped up by the boiler or Sadia.

My question is I think I can switch the system with an addition independent timer to operate the Sadia
Separate from the gas boiler.
This will allow me to heat the bulk hot water on cheap electricity at night.
Presumably I can program the hot water from boiler to be off in the day .

Will this be a cheaper option using off peak electricity to bulk up the hot water each night.
I ac always top up hot water in the day if needed when we have a house full of visitors if needed.
Does anybody if this is my cheapest option to run the system.?
icon

Best answer by Bonzo Kelly 18 December 2017, 19:59

Although Economy 7 electricity is significantly cheaper at night (and usually more expensive during the day) than a standard tariff, it is unlikely to be cheaper than using mains gas, which is usually the cheapest method of producing domestic heat, both for space heating and water heating. However, the difference will depend on the efficiency of the boiler you have. Modern condensing boilers are very efficient, but older boilers less so.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Although Economy 7 electricity is significantly cheaper at night (and usually more expensive during the day) than a standard tariff, it is unlikely to be cheaper than using mains gas, which is usually the cheapest method of producing domestic heat, both for space heating and water heating. However, the difference will depend on the efficiency of the boiler you have. Modern condensing boilers are very efficient, but older boilers less so.
Great topic to create, @Lilyvaleenergy

Just a heads up - I've edited the title and added a few tags to help other users find this topic!

Thanks,
Emma