Solved

Changing your tariff from Economy 7 to single rate

• 9 September 2019
  • 9 replies

Ok so I had an old economy 7 meter that I dont need. I was swtiched to a new smart meter this morning. How do I go about moving my tarrif to a normal one? I dont have any kind of storage heating.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 10 September 2019, 15:12

Hey @krad

When you signed up, if you chose a single rate plan to begin with, then nothing should have changed.

If you signed up to an Economy 7 plan, then we may need to update this for you. The best way to see if it's been done is to log into your online account and go to My Profile and then My Plan. If you can only see one single electricity rate, then this would indicate you're on a single plan. If it needs updating, drop us a message on Facebook and we can look into it for you. Be sure to include your account number (or full address and post code), name and DoB.

Hope this helps!
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @krad

When you signed up, if you chose a single rate plan to begin with, then nothing should have changed.

If you signed up to an Economy 7 plan, then we may need to update this for you. The best way to see if it's been done is to log into your online account and go to My Profile and then My Plan. If you can only see one single electricity rate, then this would indicate you're on a single plan. If it needs updating, drop us a message on Facebook and we can look into it for you. Be sure to include your account number (or full address and post code), name and DoB.

Hope this helps!

I’m an existing OVO customer who wants to switch from Economy 7 to Standard tariff. I’m happy to have a smart meter but am told this will cost me 106 pounds. I thought smart meters were supposed to be free?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Smart meter are totally free, @MartinR, check out the above feed on how to go about changing to a single rate tariff, you’d need to book in a smart meter install first here.

Hope this helps!

Any, I would love a smart meter and have been asking for one since the beginning of the year but am told no appointments are available in my area PO33 Ryde Isle Of Wight. OVO say they will fit one for £106 I’m switching to another supplier who will fit a smart meter for free

Hi all.

Last week i received a call from OVO to arrange a day for installing the smart meters. Before agreeint to it, I asked some questions for which the person I spoke to didn’t have an answer so she told me she would find the answers and call me back the day after. A week has passed and still no call… I put here the questions I made just in case someone knows the answer and would appreciate if an OVO staff member could contact me regarding this.

1. I currently have economy 7, but for some reason it runs from aproximately 4am to 11am. Once the smart meter is installed, will these times be the same or will they move to 0am to 7am?
  2. What happens with the self service rewards once the smart meter is installed? Is it lost?
  3. If I decide to move to single rate and give up Economy 7, what is the available plans and tariffs? I am currently on Better Energy - Economy 7 (all online) ending  May 2020, with exit fee of £30 per fuel. Will I need to wait to get single tariff to avoid paying the exit fees? Will it be free to move to single tariff afterwards?

Thanks!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Flidais I hope I can help with your questions, I’m a user so don’t work for OVO

1. My guess is that the times should remain the same if they were specified in the plan you signed up for, maybe someone from OVO will confirm that
  2. The self service reward no longer exists so when you sign up for your new plan you will find slightly lower prices instead
  3. The plans and tariffs can be viewed on the website here https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-plans if you decide to change before then it depends what you change to, see this topic https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ovo-tariffs-plans-and-renewals-51/will-i-get-termination-fees-if-i-upgrade-contract-from-better-to-2-year-fixed-5962
    I suggest you use a site like Uswitch to do your calculations with E7 and without to see what savings you might make, you will need your total electricity usage and the split of day/night to be able to do this.

Hope this has helped a bit
Userlevel 5
Badge

I’ve moved your post here, @Flidais, there is some handy info above. 

Hi all.

Last week i received a call from OVO to arrange a day for installing the smart meters. Before agreeint to it, I asked some questions for which the person I spoke to didn’t have an answer so she told me she would find the answers and call me back the day after. A week has passed and still no call… I put here the questions I made just in case someone knows the answer and would appreciate if an OVO staff member could contact me regarding this.

1. I currently have economy 7, but for some reason it runs from aproximately 4am to 11am. Once the smart meter is installed, will these times be the same or will they move to 0am to 7am? It would change in line with our standard economy 7 hours which are normally midnight until 7am or there about, we can let you know the exact time. 
  2. What happens with the self service rewards once the smart meter is installed? Is it lost? Thanks for steppi@PeterR1947 perfect answer!
  3. If I decide to move to single rate and give up Economy 7, what is the available plans and tariffs? I am currently on Better Energy - Economy 7 (all online) ending  May 2020, with exit fee of £30 per fuel. Will I need to wait to get single tariff to avoid paying the exit fees? Will it be free to move to single tariff afterwards? If you decided to switch to a single rate tariff you won’t need to wait, there will be no exit fees and we will fix you in on the single rate that was available when you fixed into your current plan. 

Thanks!!

I hope this helps! 

Hi

Thanks PeterR1947 and Amy_Ovo for the answers. I was fearing the times would change. In the plan I signed up for there was no detail on the times the economy 7 would work. My current has somehow the time shifted like 4 hours.

Regarding the single rates, when I ask for a quote and enter my address, somehow it detects I have Economy 7 and only offer me economy 7 prices (day and night). If I cheat and put other address that have single rate, I can see the different plans. So not ideal, but I guess i figured out how to see it.

In any case, thanks for the help. I guess I will stay with my old meter for a while!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Flidais - the Economy 7 times are determined by the meter itself, unless you have a smart meter in which case the supplier would have some control, though the times would be standard for all customers.