Solved

Will I lose my Self Service Reward if I reach out to challenge my suggested Direct Debit?

• 15 November 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
I am trying to understand the new online discount and make sure that we qualify, but in investigating our usage and payments, I can see that the recommended DD payment is much higher than our estimated usage/12, and the estimated usageit also much higher than our actual usage suggests, and much higher than our yearly statement estimated a few motnhs ago (by about £110 a year)

The suggestion is that we increase the DD by £35 a month from £65 to £100 when we only have small 1 bed flat (dual fuel), and the DD was actually set too high a few months ago so it suggested reducing it from £70 which I did.

There is no way we will use that amount, and we are always in credit and have a credit balanace, and submit meter readings every month. The recommended DD is ridiculously high.

I can't help feeling that this makes it (deliberately) impossible for us to meet the condtions to receive the online reward. Which will mean paying another £60 a year.

And now if I contact OVO, I will definitely lose the discount.

I am really unhappy with what is going on here. Is anyone else in the same boat?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 21 November 2018, 13:39

The suggestion is that we increase the DD by £35 a month from £65 to £100.... if I contact OVO, I will definitely lose the discount.

Not good to hear about your dissatisfaction @coldfeethotfeet

If you think the calculations for the Direct Debit amount are wrong, this will be a legitimate reason to reach out to the Customer Care team for help. So you wouldn't lose any discount.

First have a look at this link which explains the calculations, just so you're sure there's been an error: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review

If you're sure, reach out for some help on Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

There's another topic on this subject here
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Also, Mods, please do not move this Q to merge with any other thread. I have a health condition and will not be able to trawl through a long drawn out thread.
Thank you
Userlevel 1
Seems like I will have to make a formal complaint about this. I have read a few more threads and actually think the regulator should be aware of Ovo's behaviour with regard to these unreasonably high DD payments.

Also the wording of the credit interest paid being misleading. i had grown to like Ovo and we decieded not to switch, but we are not in a contract and so will leave to find a better provider if this isn't sorted out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
The suggestion is that we increase the DD by £35 a month from £65 to £100.... if I contact OVO, I will definitely lose the discount.

Not good to hear about your dissatisfaction @coldfeethotfeet

If you think the calculations for the Direct Debit amount are wrong, this will be a legitimate reason to reach out to the Customer Care team for help. So you wouldn't lose any discount.

First have a look at this link which explains the calculations, just so you're sure there's been an error: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/direct-debit-review

If you're sure, reach out for some help on Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

There's another topic on this subject here
I recently had a demand from OVO to increase my DD payment to £203 from £138. At that time the account was over £290 in credit with one month to go. Ovo estimated that in the next year the cost of our fuel would be £2,874 compared to £1,664 in the current year.

Not surprisingly, I declined their recommendation to increase to this amount pending some kind of credible explanation - none so far.

I now notice that in the terms and conditions of the Self Service Reward I am required to pay my DD 'on time and at the recommended amount (or more) each month. Does this mean that I will therefore lose this reward if I do not accede to their unjustified 'recommended' DD amount?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Have a look at the convo in this thread @NPTring

If we're suggesting an increase, there's a reason - it looks like you're going to finish your contract below £0.

But if you think we've got the calculations wrong, you won't lose the reward by reaching out to us.
Hi coldfeethotfeet. I wouldn't waste any more time expecting any sensible answers from the OVO people on the forum. They will simply send you round in circles or try and pass you off to another user who may be helpful but does not have access to your account information and cannot therefore answer your query. I would suggest contacting OVO directly. I rang them about my issues and a very helpful lady immediately acknowledged that it all looked wrong and that they would put a 3 month hold on my account while they sorted it out. She confirmed that there would be no less of discount either for the 'phone call or for not agreeing to their 'recommended' direct debit.

Very disappointing that you have to go through all these hoops.

Their contact details are:

Send over a PM via Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/ovoenergy/
- A DM via Twitter: @OVOEnergy
- Email at: hello@ovoenergy.com
- Call on: 0330 303 5063

Hi! :) 

I had to contact Ovo via phone this morning because my all online account said a "Problem has occurred with your Direct Debit".

My question is whether my Self Service Reward will now be affected? I know the "rules" say that with an all online account you cannot contact them unless its an emergency or you wish to complain, but I would think trying to fix a potential DD problem is quite important?

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 3

OVO have sent me details of a new direct debit amount after a free Green Energy offer expired causing my monthly amount to increase by £5.00 a month.

I don’t want to pay the extra £5.00 a month for Green Energy at the moment and have tried to reduce my monthly payment back to the original amount.  I appear to have changed the amount online but when I refresh the page or log back into my account, the direct debit amount has reverted to the increased amount even though I am in credit by £500.

Will I lose Self Service Rewards if I contact by phone about this problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There’s already a thread on this question@HazelAllen @Scotty22 - have a look above ^

You won’t lose it by reaching out to us about an issue or something you can’t fix yourself :)