Solved

Switch to OVO mess - Will I be penalised for contacting customer services to sort this out?

• 15 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I just switched to OVO as an all online customer and it hasn't been a smooth swap. The date of the swap seems to have been missed by a week. That, or I just couldn't access my account as it would just display to webpage detailing the progession of the swap.

Now, despite giving my readings straight away when asked, Ovo has used the estimates provided by the previous supplier, which are way out (eight times as much). We're new to the property and apparently very low users in comparison to the previous occupants. We thus have a stupid final bill.

Being All Online, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Will I be penalised for contacting customer services to sort this out?

Cheers,
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 15 October 2018, 15:15

Hello,

I just switched to OVO as an all online customer and it hasn't been a smooth swap. The date of the swap seems to have been missed by a week. That, or I just couldn't access my account as it would just display to webpage detailing the progession of the swap.

Now, despite giving my readings straight away when asked, Ovo has used the estimates provided by the previous supplier, which are way out (eight times as much). We're new to the property and apparently very low users in comparison to the previous occupants. We thus have a stupid final bill.

Being All Online, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. Will I be penalised for contacting customer services to sort this out?

Cheers,

Hello @RockLobster

Do not feel like you will be penalised. The staff at OVO are lovely and would be more than happy to assist you. Ok, let's see if there is anything we can do here on the Forum before you go ahead and call OVO. So you have signed up to OVO, provided the latest Meter readings. I believe what OVO do is compare your meter readings with your previous energy suppliers. From here, they can provide a guessed estimate of your usage. But as you mention you are new occupants of the building.

Sometimes there can be a delay in taking over your supply depending how smoothly your previous supplier agrees the transfer. I would suggest if you can't wait, give them a call. But I would hold fire myself until you have officially moved over to OVO and provide recent up to date meter readings.

But, I am sure @Nancy_OVO might be able to assist you. Nancy, is there anything I have missed?
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hello,

Cheers,

Hello @RockLobster

Do not feel like you will be penalised. The staff at OVO are lovely and would be more than happy to assist you. Ok, let's see if there is anything we can do here on the Forum before you go ahead and call OVO. So you have signed up to OVO, provided the latest Meter readings. I believe what OVO do is compare your meter readings with your previous energy suppliers. From here, they can provide a guessed estimate of your usage. But as you mention you are new occupants of the building.

Sometimes there can be a delay in taking over your supply depending how smoothly your previous supplier agrees the transfer. I would suggest if you can't wait, give them a call. But I would hold fire myself until you have officially moved over to OVO and provide recent up to date meter readings.

But, I am sure @Nancy_OVO might be able to assist you. Nancy, is there anything I have missed?
Hi @ITGeek123,

The switch is over now and I have access to my account. It's now that I've had our final bill from the previous supplier that I note that OVO haven't used my readings. It's going to take a while before we catch up to the guesstimated readings they have started us with, and I have to sort out this bill from the previous supplier.

So, if I call OVO to sort this out we will not lose our 'self-service' discount?

Cheers,
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@RockLobster I don't see how no. Best thing to do it call them. Honestly, they have an amazing group of people who are always willing to assist.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Pretty accurate @ITGeek123! Nice work :)

It sounds to me like you may still be in the "validation" phase of switching, @RockLobster. This is the 4 to 6 week period after your switch date where we're sent some files of information from your old supplier, and we send them you opening meter readings (via a "Data Collector" to record them on the industry database) so they can create a final bill.

On some occasions, rather than waiting for the file with the reading in from us, some suppliers create a final bill ahead of this using estimated readings. They should then correct this once they've received the official readings from us.

If you've given us a reading, then this is what we'll send to the Data Collector to be passed on. There's a small chance the Industry may reject the given reading, and amend it slightly based on the reading history at the property.

In either of these instances - this isn't something we'd expect you to handle online so definitely give us a call!

Nancy
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have given them a call now. I now understand the self-service concept and it makes alot of sense.

OVO has had to open a reading dispute as the original reading was rejected. I've kept several readings throughout our first month here, so that is fine.

Thanks again,
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Always a pleasure! 🙂 Please do stick around the forum