Solved

New self-service reward - what's changing?

• 19 September 2018
  • 208 replies

Show first post

208 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
I haven't had any online discount which I thought I should have got in January. I know the discount is lost if I make a phone call. Does anybody know if I send an email if I lose my discount.

Hey @Nosher - I've moved your post over here where you can find more info on the SSR.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @marian_nw That's interesting, there is another Topic on the Forum discussing this very issue with a response from one of the Moderators.

So, your registration for the Warm Home Discount isn't one of the issues you can find out about yourself. You therefore wouldn't be losing the SSR by asking OVO Customer Services about it.

However, let me just tag a couple of the Moderators here:
@Darran_OVO and @Tim_OVO - why couldn't the customer's registration for Warm Home Discount be added to the My OVO page anyway?

Sure this is just a matter of a flag being set in a field at the same time that OVO sends out the email to confirm that the application has been accepted?

Isn't this just the sort of detail that doesn't need customers of pensionable age to be contacting Customer Services about?

Can you bounce this to the Digital Suggestions Box please?! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for posting that link @JimTraynor

Links to that page from elsewhere on OVO's site say it's a new page. I don't know how new is new because the page-creator didn't embed the creation/upload date in the HTML code. Bother!

Nevertheless it is at least now the case that everyone can see if a new assessment of their Monthly DD has been correctly calculated, simply by visiting there.
Userlevel 2
From Figures I found on The OVO website I think OVO have approx 1.6 million users. I assume that a very small percentage of these are serious abusers of the system and as OVO assure us that only serious abusers will lose the £5 per month reward the money OVO gain from the change from monthly discount to a quarterly reward would be in the thousands of pounds which would not be sufficient to justify the change which risks losing user satisfaction.
As I have said before the change will give little or no help with the problem that OVO claim to be the reason for the change.
A more significant effect of the change will be to stop the payment of £5 to most users each month. Even though the money will be given in the form of a £15 reward every 3 months, the effect will be that OVO have approx £6.5 MILLION in their account after the first month and £13 Million after the second month which would previously have been given to users. Surely this is not the reason OVO have inflicted this change on their customers.
I will be happy to have this suggestion fully disproved by OVO.

Jim
Userlevel 2
I would like to say that I am not against lending OVO money (which is the effect of this change), it is certainly better than a price increase, but I would like to be told the truth about the reasons rather than having my intelligence insulted by a pack of very obvious lies.
I would even find a moderate price increase acceptable if it could be justified by expenses for some of the good systems which OVO are pushing, especially if the benefits were available right across the country

Jim.
Thanks to anyone who's taken the time to reply. However, this thread sort of proves the point about the impossibility of online self service. There doesn't seem a lot of point asking anything if all posts on the topic just get moved to this graveyard of a thread and then no one from Ovo actually has the courtesy to answer. They can move threads and post "I have moved this to this thread" but don't seem able to provide actual assistance.

I'm going to email them, since as far as I can tell there is no physical way I can find out online why they haven't paid me my SSR since October.
Userlevel 2
OVO recently changed from giving customers a discount if they handled their accounts on line to giving them a reward for doing the same thing. The main difference appeared to be that the discount was given every month whereas the reward was given every quarter. The value of each was £5. This would appear to be very little change.
The reason OVO gave for the change was because a few customers were abusing the system by asking question when they could have found the answers on line. They felt that it would be unfair to remove the discount from the abusers but it would be OK to withdraw the reward for the same transgressions. this is a very strange argument.
They say that they will not penalise good customers who occasionally make a mistake.
The effects of this change are as follows:
OVO have just as much power as before to "punish" offenders but think one system is unfair and the other is not.
OVO withhold payments from all customer for 3 months. The effect of this is that money which would previously have been in customers bank accounts is now in OVO's account for this period. I assume that this both makes their accounts look better and gains them some interest from their bank. I believe the total value of this change to OVO is about £6.5 MILLION per month.
AS far as customers finance is concerned any loss of interest to a single customer would be insignificant as it would only be based on £5 per month so why make a fuss? However closer examination shows that the customer getting a discount means that VAT is not paid on the £5 each month, whereas getting a £15 reward every quarter does attract the 5% VAT charge. Effectively the customer is getting a lower cash advantage each quarter and OVO are gaining during the same time.
I strongly suggest that OVO change back to the old system and withdraw the discount from abusers.
If OVO want to change the effective prices to customers they should be completely honest about it rather than tell very obvious lies. This can only lose customers which will be much more of a loss than can be gained in interest.
I also suggest that more effort should be made to answer questions in the forum as it is useless otherwise and only causes customer dissatisfaction as can be seen from the entries currently there.
Please do not just ignore this question as the only conclusion would then be that the facts outlined above are correct and illustrate the real reason for the change.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Could someone explain why I've had no Self Service 'Reward' since October, and even that was under £1 per fuel? Yes, I have contacted customer services since then, but that was to do with something that is not possible to find the information for online.

HI @marian_nw,

Forum users don't have access to this information, as we'd need to access your account to check. Other forum users are customers like yourself, and us moderators (though fully trained) don't have direct access to your account due to Data Protection regulations. If you'd like specific information about your account, I'd advise giving us a ring on 0330 303 5063 or dropping the team on Facebook a message with your account number, full name and DoB: m.me/ovoenergy

Thanks
I'm thinking of renewing so must promise to do 3 simple things to receive the Self Service Reward including "Provide meter readings online at least once every 3 months". Why?
Is this to detect the smart meter becoming faulty?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @GrandadStone welcome to the forum!

All the info you need in is the link in my comment on the original post above. It will link you to the website where you can view all the FAQ's.

But nothing to worry about meter readings wise, if you have smart meters and they are sending us your readings every month, you don't need to worry about supplying them.

Darran
iVE NEVER HAD ANY DISCOUNTS EVEN THOUGH IVE MET CRITERIA
Userlevel 3
I've moved your post to this topic, @vivien filiadis, I think you may be referring to our Self Service Reward, there's a lot of handy info above.

We also offer the OVO Interest Reward, more info here.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Once again my SSR award has not been fully credited to my account this month and I have only received half of it (£7.14) This has happened before but why I don't know, I certainly haven't contacted OVO either by email or telephone in a very long while.

Can someone from the OVO team please address this issue for me.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Slinky - I've moved your post onto this topic which has become the main hub for Self Service Reward queries.

Unfortunately we can't rectify any issues with your bill via the Forum. You'd need to get in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063 or message us on Facebook to look into your account: m.me/ovoenergy

Cheers
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Thank you for moving my post, unfortunately I don't use Facebook. Will I be penalised if I phone to discuss the matter? I've read a number of posts where people lose their SSR for doing that. OVO really should provide a better route of communication rather than relying on social media, it's hardly customer friendly when you're having issues.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Slinky - No you won't be penalised. You wouldn't be able to find the answer to an account specific question like this online so it's fine to ring.

We don't rely on Social Media per se. We've always had a large Customer Services team to help on the phone or via email. Sometimes people prefer to use Facebook or Twitter to get in touch with us, and if they do that then we've also got a team of people on hand to assist.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Nancy_OVO

Ok, much appreciated. I did phone but after being put on hold for quite sometime I was told they would need to look into why this keeps happening and then get back to me.

Presumably another gremlin in the system perhaps?
Hello,

I'd like to make an enquiry with regards to how to update my billing address information. It seems i can't do it via the website or app, and contacting OVO might make me lose my self service reward.

But i'd like to update my contact address/billing address to reflect my new address which i have moved into and presently living at. OVO has my previous address and that's what is shown on my welcome email and illustrative statement.

Ola
Userlevel 4

I'd like to make an enquiry with regards to how to update my billing address information. It seems i can't do it via the website or app, and contacting OVO might make me lose my self service reward.

But i'd like to update my contact address/billing address to reflect my new address which i have moved into and presently living at. OVO has my previous address and that's what is shown on my welcome email and illustrative statement.

You wouldn't lose your self service reward because of this, @slimboi, as this isn't something you can do online yourself.

However if you're now living in your new home, your account will need to be closed - we won't be able to just change the billing address. To close your account head to My OVO or fill in this form.

Do we supply your new home? If we do, you can use the same form to open your new account. If we don't, you'll need to sign up here. You'll need to let the current supplier know that you've moved in, they may block the switch if they don't have an account.
I've been with OVO since December 2018 and always submitted my meter readings on the exact day each month as specified.

I've checked my statement for April 2019 and it shows the Self Service reward on there, but they've only credited my account £14.29.

I thought it was £7.50 per fuel, so I make that £15.00?

Why is it not the full £15.00?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Paul5,

The whole bill is subject to VAT. All costs are shown first without 5% VAT, and then after with this added on.

If you can't find the answer to your query on your online account, on the Forum, or in our FAQ, you're more than welcome to get in touch with us without risking losing your Self Service Reward.

Hey @LOZ77,

I've moved your post onto this topic about the Self Service Reward. As per my previous comment above ☝🏼the amount will be shown without VAT to begin with, and then 5% VAT is applied to the bill as a whole. Rest assured you'll be credited with the full £15 overall.

Cheers!
Thank you Nancy_OVO It's not very clear that is how it;s worked out, so thank you for the explanation x
I had a smart meter installed at the beginning of February. My next statement was several days late appearing online. I thought that the meter change may have caused a problem with the account so I emailed customer services to check.

Bingo, there went my self service reward up in smoke.

Does anybody think this is worth challenging, as a faulty challenge could blow my award for the next quarter too.

Views appreciated.
Thank you.
One of the conditions of the Self Service rewards is that we submit our readings online at least every three months. I have a smart meter which sends readings automatically. Does that mean that I am ineligible for self service rewards since my meter readings are not submitted online?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had a smart meter installed at the beginning of February. My next statement was several days late appearing online. I thought that the meter change may have caused a problem with the account so I emailed customer services to check.

Bingo, there went my self service reward up in smoke.

Does anybody think this is worth challenging, as a faulty challenge could blow my award for the next quarter too.

Views appreciated.
Thank you.

Hey @Is_it_just_me,

When you have a new smart meter installed we need to carry out a few admin processes and set up communication with your meters so we can exchange information with it. As a result it may be up to 6 weeks before you receive your first statement relating to your new smart meters, this should've been explained to you if you made this booking arrangement over the phone.

You can also find details about this here, because the information is available on our website, this would've been the reason for you loosing your Self Service Reward (SSR).

One of the conditions of the Self Service rewards is that we submit our readings online at least every three months. I have a smart meter which sends readings automatically. Does that mean that I am ineligible for self service rewards since my meter readings are not submitted online?

I've moved your query here, @Claire Skrine, this has everything you need to know about our SSR.

You'll still get the SSR with smart meters, we'll just receive the readings automatically rather than you submitting them.l

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings