Solved

How can I make sure I'm billed to the same readings as last month, without losing my Online Discount?

• 3 December 2018
  • 7 replies

FIRST, a related complaint.
OVO have changed the policy for discounts and rewards, such that if you contact them to ask a question by email of phone, they don't give you the discount or reward. That happened to me last month, because I emailed them to tell them that I had made a mistake when entering my meter reading, and because of THEIR system, I couldn't correct it until the following day.

I don't want that to happen again because they won't accept my next months readings, which will be ZERO use for the month.

I'm Going away for 5 weeks. My reading will be the same as the previous month. This will probably be rejected, and the only way I seem to be able to prevent that, is to email or telephone them in advance.

However, as desribed above, and on the OVO website here https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/self-service-reward, unless you meet their UNFAIR requirements, you are charged for contacting them.

So OVO. Can you please tell me how I can inform you in advance that I am going on holiday for 5 weeks, and that I will have ZERO usage readings, AND still get my self service reward?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 3 December 2018, 16:26

Hi @slpj3,

If you want to make sure you're billed for exactly what you've used, we really would recommend getting a smart meter fitted, as this will send us a reading when we need one so you don't have to.

Even if you are away for 5 weeks, it's unlikely your usage will be zero for 5 weeks. If you've got electrical appliances plugged in all the time (like a fridge/freezer), there'll be some minimal use. You online account will likely throw up a warning when you put in lower readings than expected, and ask you to check them. All you need to do is click 'resubmit' and the website will accept them.

It's worth mentioning that if you're unable to find the help you need on our website or here on the Forum, you're more than welcome to get in touch with the team without losing your Self Service Reward.

Hope this helps!
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@slpj3 Sorry to hear you missed out on your discount.

I would highly recommend you arrange for smart meters to be installed in your home to avoid any disappointment.

You can arrange for installation by going there - https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

I think you have answered your own question how to inform OVO in advance, the best way would be to call OVO as they will need your approval to gain access to your account. They may not be able to do this via an email, Or if they can. The response may take longer to get things done.
@slpj3 Sorry to hear you missed out on your discount.

"I would highly recommend you arrange for smart meters to be installed in your home to avoid any disappointment."

"I think you have answered your own question how to inform OVO in advance, the best way would be to call OVO as they will need your approval to gain access to your account. "

ITGeek123. Do you by any chance work for OVO?

1). I do NOT want smart meters. Smart meters are NOT neccessary, and DO NOT save money. CONSUMERS save money by reducng energy consumption. In fact the electricity smart meter actually adds a small amount of money to the bill, because it consumes a small amount of electricity, that the consumer has to pay for.

PLEASE DO NOT change the subject of my question by introducing irrelevant comments.

2). If I had answered my own question, I wouldn't have asked it.

I'll repeat. If I telephone or email OVO to tell them about going on holiday, I am effectively being charged ( circa 4 quid) for doing so.

Do OVO employees answer questiions here? If so, please tell me how I can inform you -- without being denied my self service reward -- that I will be on holiday for 5 weeks, and that my readings are going to be rejected because they will show ZERO usage? Please don't answer questions that I have not asked.

Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@slpj3

To answer your questions

1) I do not work for OVO, I am merely an OVO customer like yourself.

2) Each to there own in regards to smart meters. I only advised about the smart meter to stop you taking time out of your life (because time is valuable I hear these days) and get on with your life while your energy supplier gathers your meter readings.

3) I do not know where you are getting (£4 charge for calling OVO)? This must be new 😮because when I call them on the 0300 number via Google, I am never being charged via Mobile (Don't use landline, too old school) 😎

4) OVO employees do answer questions on here but as this is a community, we are here to help each other 😁 I am still scratching my head to your meter readings being Zero because even if you won't be using any items in your home for 5 weeks, there are still appliances which require electric (Unless you are flipping the switch off at the trip board)😂
I welcome helpful appropriate replies, not rubbish.

If any OVO employee is reading this, please reply to my question.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@slpj3 If you would like an immediate answer I would call OVO 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @slpj3,

If you want to make sure you're billed for exactly what you've used, we really would recommend getting a smart meter fitted, as this will send us a reading when we need one so you don't have to.

Even if you are away for 5 weeks, it's unlikely your usage will be zero for 5 weeks. If you've got electrical appliances plugged in all the time (like a fridge/freezer), there'll be some minimal use. You online account will likely throw up a warning when you put in lower readings than expected, and ask you to check them. All you need to do is click 'resubmit' and the website will accept them.

It's worth mentioning that if you're unable to find the help you need on our website or here on the Forum, you're more than welcome to get in touch with the team without losing your Self Service Reward.

Hope this helps!
Hi Nancy-Ovo,

Good greif!!!! Is it not possible these days to ask a question about a specific subject, without someone answering with their opinion, rather than just answering the question specifically?

If I wanted an answer about smart meters, I'd have asked about them. I don't, because I didn't! I don't want a smart meter, I don't need a smart meter, I'm more than capapable of reading my meters.

The problem has arisen not because I don't have smart meters, but because now, OVO and many other energy companies are insisting on the entering of readings online, and are not providing the opportunity to ammend the reading if one makes a mistake. Now PLEASE stop talking about smart meters!

My usage WILL be zero. As odd as it may appear to some people, I do indeed switch off my gas, electricity, and water when I leave my hosue empty for significant periods.

Ok, so the answer seems to be that if I enter the same reading that I entered the previous month, I will be given the chance to resubmit. Hopefully that will be the case.

As regards the last part of your answer, I DID contact the 'team' via email last month, because I made a slight error in my submission, and couldn't find a way to correct it that day (prior to my bill being issued).

There was/is NO solution I could find in the OVO help questions. And, on this forum, in this question, --- https://forum.ovoenergy.com/meter-questions-and-readings-72/i-ve-entered-the-incorrect-meter-reading-how-can-i-change-this-1243 --- it says "There's currently not a way to amend a meter reading on your My OVO account."

So I emailed OVO, and told them the problem I was having, just as you suggest I do. As a consequence, my bill was issued with self service reward missing.

So I'll see what happens next month. If my reward is deducted again (because I enter readings that show zero usage), then I'll make a formal complaint to OVO, and thereafter to the ombudsman.

Thanks