Solved

How can I avoid termination fees if I'm leaving OVO early?

I'm on a fixed plan (Better Energy), which ends on 12 May. I'm planning to move supplier at the end of this plan.

When should I request a transfer (with the new supplier) so that I don't incur an early cancellation fee, and so that I (hopefully) transition immediately to the new supplier at the end of the fixed plan?

TIA
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 10 May 2017, 15:28

perpetual_notion wrote:

I'm on a fixed plan (Better Energy), which ends on 12 May. I'm planning to move supplier at the end of this plan.

When should I request a transfer (with the new supplier) so that I don't incur an early cancellation fee, and so that I (hopefully) transition immediately to the new supplier at the end of the fixed plan?

TIA

Hi perpetual_notion,

You can switch supplier without incurring those early-termination leaving fees by holding off until your renewal window. This is 49 days before your contract end date - 7 weeks. With it being just 2 days before your contract end date, you’re good to start this switch now. During the interim period between your contract end date and your supply switch date, you’ll roll onto our variable plan Simpler Energy. The email you get from us on the 10th will confirm this for you.

It’s a shame to hear that you’ll be leaving OVO shortly, but we’ll take it on the chin. It’s also a good question you’ve asked, and I want to help other users find it. So, I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags.

Hope this helps,
Tim

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
perpetual_notion wrote:

TIA

Hi perpetual_notion,

You can switch supplier without incurring those early-termination leaving fees by holding off until your renewal window. This is 49 days before your contract end date - 7 weeks. With it being just 2 days before your contract end date, you’re good to start this switch now. During the interim period between your contract end date and your supply switch date, you’ll roll onto our variable plan Simpler Energy. The email you get from us on the 10th will confirm this for you.

It’s a shame to hear that you’ll be leaving OVO shortly, but we’ll take it on the chin. It’s also a good question you’ve asked, and I want to help other users find it. So, I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Can I switch 6 days before my fixed plan ends without incurring charges?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Glyntommo wrote:

Can I switch 6 days before my fixed plan ends without incurring charges?

You sure can, @Glyntommo - any time within 7 weeks of your contract end date.

How come you want to leave though?! :(
Ive found a cheaper supplier
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Glyntommo wrote:

Ive found a cheaper supplier

Appreciate your honesty @Glyntommo

Hopefully you'll consider a move back to OVO in the future, and don't forget you can still get involved in the forum in the meantime! :$

Tim
Userlevel 1
What penalties are there if I want to leave early, like 18 months early?

Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
JanH64 wrote:

What penalties are there if I want to leave early, like 18 months early?

Hi @JanH64

If you're in a fixed contract and you upgrade your tariff or switch supplier before 7 weeks of your contract, there will be a £30 per fuel exit fee applied to your account.

More info here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/switching-plans

Tim
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close