Solved

How can I avoid termination fees if I'm leaving OVO early?

I'm on a fixed plan (Better Energy), which ends on 12 May. I'm planning to move supplier at the end of this plan.

When should I request a transfer (with the new supplier) so that I don't incur an early cancellation fee, and so that I (hopefully) transition immediately to the new supplier at the end of the fixed plan?

TIA
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 10 May 2017, 15:28

I'm on a fixed plan (Better Energy), which ends on 12 May. I'm planning to move supplier at the end of this plan.

When should I request a transfer (with the new supplier) so that I don't incur an early cancellation fee, and so that I (hopefully) transition immediately to the new supplier at the end of the fixed plan?

TIA

Hi perpetual_notion,

You can switch supplier without incurring those early-termination leaving fees by holding off until your renewal window. This is 49 days before your contract end date - 7 weeks. With it being just 2 days before your contract end date, you’re good to start this switch now. During the interim period between your contract end date and your supply switch date, you’ll roll onto our variable plan Simpler Energy. The email you get from us on the 10th will confirm this for you.

It’s a shame to hear that you’ll be leaving OVO shortly, but we’ll take it on the chin. It’s also a good question you’ve asked, and I want to help other users find it. So, I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags.

Hope this helps,
Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

TIA

Hi perpetual_notion,

You can switch supplier without incurring those early-termination leaving fees by holding off until your renewal window. This is 49 days before your contract end date - 7 weeks. With it being just 2 days before your contract end date, you’re good to start this switch now. During the interim period between your contract end date and your supply switch date, you’ll roll onto our variable plan Simpler Energy. The email you get from us on the 10th will confirm this for you.

It’s a shame to hear that you’ll be leaving OVO shortly, but we’ll take it on the chin. It’s also a good question you’ve asked, and I want to help other users find it. So, I’ve tweaked the title and added some tags.

Hope this helps,
Tim

**Updated 24/07/2019**
Can I switch 6 days before my fixed plan ends without incurring charges?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Can I switch 6 days before my fixed plan ends without incurring charges?

You sure can, @Glyntommo - any time within 7 weeks of your contract end date.

How come you want to leave though?! 😞
Ive found a cheaper supplier
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ive found a cheaper supplier

Appreciate your honesty @Glyntommo

Hopefully you'll consider a move back to OVO in the future, and don't forget you can still get involved in the forum in the meantime! :$

Tim
What penalties are there if I want to leave early, like 18 months early?

Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What penalties are there if I want to leave early, like 18 months early?

Hi @JanH64

If you're in a fixed contract and you upgrade your tariff or switch supplier before 7 weeks of your contract, there will be a £30 per fuel exit fee applied to your account.

More info here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/switching-plans

Tim
Hi to everyone.
My current tariff ends on 28th Feb and I am looking to see if there are any better deals to be had.
U switch tells me that I could arrange to change to a new supplier today because it is within 49 days and I won`t have to pay the early exit fee irrespective of when the change over actually occurs.
Anyone know if this is correct, or, if the switch over to a new supplier takes place before 28th Feb will OVO charge me an early exit fee?
Thanks, Wayne.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @Wayneoh that's correct, once you get within 49 days of the end of your contract, you don't have to pay exit fees.

We'd love to keep you though......... 😞

Award winning service and fair pricing, plus 3% interest reward on any credit balance and currently £50 voucher if you refer someone and they sign up....!

Darran
Hello

Like JanH64 above, I'm considering changing suppliers, as OVO seem to be getting more expensive. I've been with you for several years, but now think it's time to swap.

I'm on a 2 year fixed rate with ends in March 2021. I'm currently over £300 in credit. What would my exit fee be and would it be taken from my credit? I believe it's £30 per fuel, so effectively I would still get a refund of £240.

Is this correct? How easy is it to swap suppliers?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'm on a 2 year fixed rate with ends in March 2021. I'm currently over £300 in credit. What would my exit fee be and would it be taken from my credit? I believe it's £30 per fuel, so effectively I would still get a refund of £240.

Is this correct? How easy is it to swap suppliers?

Hi @meadena

The leaving fees are £30 per fuel. This will be deducted from your credit balance, as will the charges, both of which will show in your final bill.

To switch supplier, contact the supplier of your choice and they'll do the rest. ETA for a switch is about 3-4 weeks.

Or just stay here with us! 😉
Thanks Tim....so if I'm correcting in thinking, if I was to go ahead today and switch, it would take 3-4 weeks for everything to go over to the new supplier, after which £60 would be deducted from my credit balance, and the remaining amount would be refunded to my bank account?

I may well come back after being with another supplier, as I've never had any problems with OVO, it's just that increasing bills across the board are always a problem, so am constantly looking to reduce our outgoings.... :o)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I may well come back after being with another supplier, as I've never had any problems with OVO, it's just that increasing bills across the board are always a problem, so am constantly looking to reduce our outgoings.... :o)

That's spot on, @meadena

Hopefully we'll see you back with OVO. No reason to stop getting involved in our forum though 😊