Solved

Am I going to lose my online discount under the new T&Cs which require you to pay at least the recommended amount each month?

• 17 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I have a query about the new online only discount T&Cs.

When I first opened an account with Ovo, the previous supplier of the property we'd moved into provided incorrect readings - these were so wildly out that the data estimated we'd use 1145% more electricity than other similar properties.
Ovo sorted the problem, confirmed my readings, but told me that it would take a long time for my estimated usage data to correct itself because they couldn't erase that data. Therefore for the past 2 years my suggested direct debit has been far higher than it needs to be, and Ovo have repeatedly confirmed with me that I do not need to raise it.
The predicted usage is gradually coming down but the recommended DD is still higher than it needs to be - I am in credit 365 days / year despite not paying what they recommend.

Am I going to lose my online discount under the new T&Cs which require you to pay at least the recommended amount each month?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 23 October 2018, 10:49

@Help-please

As you have a unique situation, this would be logged on your account so if for any reason you needed to get in touch due to your Direct Debit amount being incorrect due to the issue you mentioned, then the agent would be able to see this on your account and you would not lose your reward as this is not something you can fix yourself online.

Darran
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @Help-please,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't work for OVO so can't give you the official party line, but given your circumstances I don't see why you should loose your online discount at all.

All your account history should be documented, so all I could suggest is that you check your bills, and if it is missing for any given quarter (it is no longer applied monthly) then you raise a dispute with OVO.
Thanks for your reply. A good suggestion, which I'll follow - although I gather from reading the forums that there are many other people who also feel their DD is higher than required by their current bills and payment histories and who are therefore uncomfortable about the requirement to pay what the OVO algorithms calculate for them, in order to qualify for the self-service reward.
I also feel that the lack of reply from anyone from Ovo rather proves the objections of many people on this forum to the new policy.

I entirely appreciate that they are busy and have lots of comments to deal with. But when we have a query or problem, how are we supposed to avoid what is essentially a £15 telephone or email charge, if we do not get a response from the only option left available to us??
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Help-please as Matt mentioned, welcome to the forum.

Just been reading through the recent conversations and came across this one. Just for reference, the forum was launched as a space for customers to help and support each other. If there is something more account specific then our moderator team, including myself, will step when needed.

We have a lot of great, supportive active users on the forum, that are usually willing to step in and offer some friendly help and advice, like @Mw2870 has done here ;)

In regards to the new Self Service Reward, this is where OVO give you £15 per quarter if you manage your account online and make use of all the online help that is available to you rather than calling us to get an answer to something you could have found online in half the time!

Specifically in regards to Direct Debits, we may at times advise you to increase the amount you are paying, as we don't want you to be in debt at the end of your contract with us. So if you sign up and we judge based on the information you entered when you switched, that your energy for the year would be £1000, but then a few months in it looks like you are using more energy than you originally thought, based on your meter reads, then we would advise you to increase your Direct Debit amount to ensure you are able to cover the increase in usage.

If we recommend a higher amount, if you don't change the amount yourself, you will receive emails from us advising that you should increase it, and if you don't change, we may increase it for you. Again you will get emails confirming this ahead of any changes. If you choose not to pay the recommended amount you may not receive your reward from us at the end of the quarter, as this is part of the new terms and conditions.

Please feel free to ask questions via the forum, the mods may not always reply, but you will usually get help from another friendly user. There is a wealth of information about Direct Debits on the forum and in our Help section on the website. So you should be able to find everything you need online.

Darran
Thank you @Darran_OVO for your reply.
Sorry for persisting - but my question still hasn't really been answered.
In this situation, Ovo have previously agreed that the automatically generated Direct Debit suggestion has been too high because of a mistaken closing reading provided by a previous supplier. We have discussed this over the phone in the past and a customer service colleague has agreed that I do not need to raise my DD to the recommended level and has in the past even disabled the ability on your end to automatically force an increase in DD level.

However according to the new T&C I am therefore ineligible for the Self Service Reward even if I carry out all my account business online.

Can you please speak to this specific situation and advise me?

I am left feeling that I would be better to move supplier than to accept an automatic quarterly additional charge on my bills.

Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Help-please

As you have a unique situation, this would be logged on your account so if for any reason you needed to get in touch due to your Direct Debit amount being incorrect due to the issue you mentioned, then the agent would be able to see this on your account and you would not lose your reward as this is not something you can fix yourself online.

Darran