Solved

Signing up to the EV Everywhere tariff - can you help?

• 18 September 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge

Hi,

I switched to the Ovo 2 year fix last Thursday.

Today I got an email regarding the EV Everywhere tariff. As I have an EV and charge it up mainly at home plus would make use of the Polar membership it was a no-brainer.

I called up the helpline and can't fault the advisor. She worked it out and explained it was the same rate I was already fixing in to but I would also get the free green electricity which makes a huge difference to me due to the amount of home charging plus the free Polar card.

My switch was cancelled as it was not possible to move me to the EV tariff. I was then instructed to sign up again to the EV tariff. But I just get "whoops, something went wrong!" when I start the process!

So now I've cancelled my fix and I'm nowhere. I was already nervous about switching a switch and cancelling things during a switch and I'm just hoping I'm not now lost everything.

What's the best way for me to progress here? Just want it sorted as my current supplier is pretty dire plus I can make a good saving here and move to a much better level of service 😃
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 20 September 2017, 14:48

Hey @EVMatt. I’d like to look into what’s happened here as you should be able to sign back up to us on our EV tariff here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ev-everywhere.

If you’re still having trouble with this, please drop me a private message confirming your name, DoB and address (including postcode) so I can speak to the team about this.

Hey there @andyfras. If you’re also hoping to sign up to our EV Tariff, we’ll need to cancel your current sign up and you’ll also need to go through a switch via the link about. Feel free to drop me a private message with the same information if you’d like me to help with this.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm also in the process of switching to OVO and would like to be on the EV Everywhere tariff which I've only just heard about. After the problems you've encountered, I'm now concerned about trying to change.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @EVMatt. I’d like to look into what’s happened here as you should be able to sign back up to us on our EV tariff here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ev-everywhere.

If you’re still having trouble with this, please drop me a private message confirming your name, DoB and address (including postcode) so I can speak to the team about this.

Hey there @andyfras. If you’re also hoping to sign up to our EV Tariff, we’ll need to cancel your current sign up and you’ll also need to go through a switch via the link about. Feel free to drop me a private message with the same information if you’d like me to help with this.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
Hi
I signed up after seeing an advert for the EV everywhere deal as I got an i3 a couple of weeks ago and realise that Polar Plus is a good option but did not think it was worth paying a monthly fee for as I will be charging at home 95% of the time.

So it seems a good deal but when I check the progress of the switch no mention of the Polar plus card is made and I have not received any email on how to get one.

To be honest the lack of information and reading on the forums that communication from OVO is not too good is making me nervous.

The website is not very informative so I would welcome some positive responses from members that are on the tariff and have received their cards.
Badge
At least you're on the tariff - I sent my details to Lucy and haven't heard anything still.

And I actually spoke to customer services who basically said that as I had cancelled my switch, the error message on the site is because whoever manages switching and suppliers for utilities can take weeks to update their records.

So now I'm stuck in limbo and I think back with other supplier... Got a cancellation email from Ovo today but still I can't switch to EV everywhere (just tried now). This is what I was advised to do - just keep trying and hope it goes through! ONe of the reasons for me switching was because of good customer services but this it a total mess now with poor communication all round.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Really sorry for the delay, EVMatt! I’ve just picked up your PM so will reply shortly.

Lucy
Hi

Been on holiday so more relaxed now!

I have had some emails re Polar plus and have signed up and set up an account.

So now waiting for the card and my switch which is on the 13th.
Hi

Once the confusion over the tariff was sorted out things improved and I have got my Polar plus card and the switch over seems to have gone smoothly so no problems so far.

If the costings and savings are are advertised I will be very pleased.

Len
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Lensev Thanks for the update! 🙂
I tried contacting via an email on my iphone... no success. Talked to someone at OVO who was very helpful. Got home and tried it on my computer. Got through the website and then was directed to Polar to register. I was then then asked for my direct debit details ( I did think Polar Plus was free to registered monthly OVO customer?) Anyway I innocently obliged. However. then I put in my sort code and bank account number. I was informed that my bank account number was not valid. As I have had this account for 45 years I was mildy amused/ annoyed.

Come to a full stop then....not good programming...:)

Jon
I was thinking of changing over to EV Tariff but cannot because I have a company Lease car. The savings could be considerable for me.
I think it very unfair that Lease car users can't join it even if they've been Polar customers for 2 years already. This needs rectifying because our Polar account number can confirm us as the same OVO customer with same name and address is an EV / PHEV driver. I pay my own charging costs, not my employer.
Doesn't look like too much thought has gone into this set up. I believe the majority of EV / PHEV drivers at the moment appear to be company car (Lease) users.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Anyone who's gone through this sign up process able to advise @jont on this?

@Lensev @EVMatt @andyfras I'm looking to you for help here :$

Tim
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sorry, I've not yet switched to EV Anywhere.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am already on a cheap OVO tariff at 12.2p per kWh. EV Everywhere electric rate is 19p+ during the day and 9p+ on “ economy 7”. I have a Tesla S90D which puts on 20 miles per hour during night charging at 7kwh which is the standard my home charger and also for polar chargers. It takes 15 hours to charge from low to high (300miles).
At 7 hours there is not enough time to charge cars like this and it would be uneconomical for me to switch tariffs. As cars develop then this problem will escalate. Do OVO have any plans in place for dealing with 90 and 100 kw batteries. Having a polar card is useless to me unless I can find a polar rapid or equivalent at 50kw charge.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @falklandkid,

I've asked the team about this and they've advised that our smart charger is 7kW as standard, and V2G is currently only for Nissan EVs. At the moment, we don't have anything lined up with Tesla and their supercharging network.

I've passed on your suggestion, though!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes the standard home charging rate for Tesla’s is 7.7kwh putting 20 miles per hour on the car. 15 hours for a 90 kw battery. The limitation if from the charging point and the capability of the supply not the car.
The car is capable of 300 kw input from the Superchargers, reducing over the charge cycle to 32 kw as the battery reaches fully charged at 250 - 300 miles range (90kw).
It charges to 80% in about 1 hour.

It’s capability of putting more back into the grid at home is over 2 x that of a 40kw Nissan Leaf and 3x that of a 30kw leaf.
If the charging rate were increased then the ‘harvest’ rate would be more over the same set period of time. Hence the suggestion to include high end cars with big batteries as well as the smaller battery Nissan Leaf.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The maths speak for themselves. In a 40kw Nissan Leaf if you harvest 20 kw you would have 50% left. If you harvest 20kw from a 90 kw Tesla then you would have 77.8% left. The potential harvest rate is much more viable as more can be taken from the Tesla and a quick run to a Supercharger would restore 50% of the Tesla’s 90kw in about 30 mins.
Tesla have produced a vehicle with a 100kw battery giving even more potential.