Solved

EV Tariff advice - can anyone help?

We have a Renault Zoe and are quite low Electricity users. The car takes more than half our usage. We are not on Economy 7 or any differential tariff. We cannot currently fit a smart meter because there is no mobile signal at our dwelling.

I am wanting to switch to a differential tariff or Economy 7, but how much does this cost? And is it possible without a Smart Meter?

It would make more sense to us to be on a tariff that doesn't charge us so much for off peak usage.

We have a 32A EV charge point and no other high usage appliances.

What can OVO offer?
icon

Best answer by PeterR1947 19 March 2019, 22:17

Without a Smart meter you would I believe be limited to an economy type tariff. As you are currently on a normal type tariff, you wopuld need your supplier to change your meter and this might result in a charge. Perhaps @Darran_OVO you could advise on whether OVO would do this.

You could change to the OVO EV tariff which gives you Polar Plus membership which you could use for charging your car.

Obviously rates differ across the country, I just did a quick quote for me and elect is 16.44p with 28.77p per day s/c and gas 3.34p plus 28.77

If you change to E7, elect is 16.7p day and 10.21 night.

You need to do the sums but for me, the E7 rate didn't add up so I'm on a day rate for all including car charging.
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Step right up @ITGeek123 , @PeterR1947 , @Brummiejon , @UC Bear @Gum168 and many more that I'm sure can help you!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Without a Smart meter you would I believe be limited to an economy type tariff. As you are currently on a normal type tariff, you wopuld need your supplier to change your meter and this might result in a charge. Perhaps @Darran_OVO you could advise on whether OVO would do this.

You could change to the OVO EV tariff which gives you Polar Plus membership which you could use for charging your car.

Obviously rates differ across the country, I just did a quick quote for me and elect is 16.44p with 28.77p per day s/c and gas 3.34p plus 28.77

If you change to E7, elect is 16.7p day and 10.21 night.

You need to do the sums but for me, the E7 rate didn't add up so I'm on a day rate for all including car charging.
Can anyone tell me if OVO will fit an E7 meter and if they will how much would it cost?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @bluearsefly67 - we can fit a smart meter free of charge and set it up as E7 (as all smart meters are free). Alternatively, if you wanted a traditional meter exchange it would cost £106.
Hi @bluearsefly67 - we can fit a smart meter free of charge and set it up as E7 (as all smart meters are free). Alternatively, if you wanted a traditional meter exchange it would cost £106.

Can we use a smart meter in "dumb" mode as the signal is not strong enough for it to operate in "smart" mode?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @bluearsefly67,

Although not ideal, a smart meter can default to functioning as a "dumb" meter, yes. It'd need a bit of configuring on our end, but we can make it possible for you to manually provide readings from your smart meter if not in communication with us.

Hope this helps!
Nancy can you confer with the smart meter people (at OVO forums) who say that this is NOT possible

...... The meter will be installed on a one rate tariff, if we can't communicate with the meter we won't be able to send it a message to change it onto an Economy 7 tariff.

Getting a bit confused as to a way forward
Userlevel 5
I've checked this with the team, @bluearsefly67. We won't be able to communicate with the smart meter, so it will be installed on a default setting - which is a single rate.

As we can't communicate with the meter it would act as a dumb meter, but we can't send it a message and tell it to be Economy 7. So having a smart meter to go to an E7 tariff won't work for you.

The only way you could have an E7 tariff is to have a traditional meter installed.
Hi I am a current OVO customer, currently on a 12 month fixed plan that won't end until 2020

We have just put a deposit down on an electric car and was looking at the EV Everywhere tariff as seems that I could swap over to that if i wished.

I understand the benefits of the free Smart Charger but the unit cost is currently higher than my fixed rate. I would have thought the idea would be to encourage people to get EVs my offering a lower rate. I don't understand how this will work out in my favour.

Does anyone have any answers or experience with EV Everywhere who could answer?

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
You'll find some handy info above, @dirkfeelgood, check out @PeterR1947's answer!

Thanks!