Solved

Contract end date in a month - will I be charged exit fees for switching now?

I am considering switching from OVO to another provider and currently have 1 month remaining on my current contract. Martin Lewis states on his Moneysaving expert website that most companies wont charge the exit fees where there is 49 days or less remaining on a contract. Is this the case with OVO?
icon

Best answer by Emma_OVO 1 June 2017, 18:03

Thanks for your post, @Anne and for you reply, @Mattj3135

Just to let you know, I've edited your question and added a few tags so it's easy for other users to find the answer.

Whilst we'd love for you to stay with us, I'll give you some information on switching away. Even if you're in a fixed plan, you're allowed to switch to a new supplier within 49 days of your contract end date without being charged exit fees. This rule goes for all energy suppliers as it was enforced by Ofgem. You can find this on their website here (section 1, bullet point 3) - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/press-releases/tougher-rules-fixed-term-energy-deals-come-force-ofgem%E2%80%99s-retail-market-reforms-begin-bite.

If there's anything we can do to keep you, just let us know!

Hope this helps,
Emma

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anne wrote:

I am considering switching from OVO to another provider and currently have 1 month remaining on my current contract. Martin Lewis states on his Moneysaving expert website that most companies wont charge the exit fees where there is 49 days or less remaining on a contract. Is this the case with OVO?

Hi @Anne welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Its a shame you're considering leaving the OVO family however its encouraged that everyone check to ensure they are getting the best deal for them - even if its means switching supplier.

There's a handy section on exit fees on the ovo website which you can find here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/the-switching-process/what-are-exit-or-termination-fees-does-ovo-charge-them.html

Given your current contract ends within a month, the time it takes to complete a switch & the common sense approach OVO have i would speculate that in your case they wont charge an exit fee.

However we all love peace of mind on such matters so what i suggest you do is reach out to the OVO customer Care Team and clarify this with them.

Hope the above helps
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for your post, @Anne and for you reply, @Mattj3135

Just to let you know, I've edited your question and added a few tags so it's easy for other users to find the answer.

Whilst we'd love for you to stay with us, I'll give you some information on switching away. Even if you're in a fixed plan, you're allowed to switch to a new supplier within 49 days of your contract end date without being charged exit fees. This rule goes for all energy suppliers as it was enforced by Ofgem. You can find this on their website here (section 1, bullet point 3) - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/press-releases/tougher-rules-fixed-term-energy-deals-come-force-ofgem%E2%80%99s-retail-market-reforms-begin-bite.

If there's anything we can do to keep you, just let us know!

Hope this helps,
Emma
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for confirming this @Emma_OVO
Userlevel 1
Try Cardiff Energy Supply.
Hassle free switch, cheapest prepayment fixed rates in the UK. Cheaper than OVO, BG, SSE ... Well all the big 6.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close