Solved

Why has the green gas contribution been reduced from 50% to 15%?

• 12 July 2019
  • 6 replies

Just received notice that the green gas add on is changing from 50% green gas to 15%. This is a dreadful breach of faith. Ovo is pitching the add on as carbon neutral, but I bought it specifically because it was 50% green gas. I have little faith in offsetting, so the other 50% being offset was incidental. Going to 15% is a huge reduction and a great disappointment.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 July 2019, 15:29

Hi @counterpoint & @Matyboy

The price of green gas is constantly in flux, so to price sustainably we've decided to lower the contribution to 15% and carbon-offset the rest.

We ensure that the offsetting is done to high standards both environmentally and socially by only using projects that are minimum Verified Carbon Standard gold. Both the Mai Ndombe & Kasigau Corridor are UN REDD projects that have received CCB (gold for adaptation and for biodiversity) & we're moving to the Katingan Peatland Restoration and Conservation Project, which is triple gold CCB (for community benefits, adaptation and biodiversity). We’re planning to add more information on our site with links to the exact projects, but you can find them all listed here.

Just to add, 15% is still the highest contribution of biogas you'll find on the market at the moment!

Hope this helps
View original

6 replies

Same, I read this as OVO saying: "we know we promised you a fixed tariff of 50% green gas, but actually we can't afford that now so instead of honouring our agreement we're just going to buy loads of non green gas, plant some trees and maybe no one will notice"

I hope this means a beach of their contact because I'm pretty sure there are better green deals out there.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @counterpoint & @Matyboy

The price of green gas is constantly in flux, so to price sustainably we've decided to lower the contribution to 15% and carbon-offset the rest.

We ensure that the offsetting is done to high standards both environmentally and socially by only using projects that are minimum Verified Carbon Standard gold. Both the Mai Ndombe & Kasigau Corridor are UN REDD projects that have received CCB (gold for adaptation and for biodiversity) & we're moving to the Katingan Peatland Restoration and Conservation Project, which is triple gold CCB (for community benefits, adaptation and biodiversity). We’re planning to add more information on our site with links to the exact projects, but you can find them all listed here.

Just to add, 15% is still the highest contribution of biogas you'll find on the market at the moment!

Hope this helps
That just repeats what has already been said, with more stuff about offsetting. I don't see offsetting as being genuinely green - the need is to make inroads in OUR emissions. Maybe help others to reduce theirs AS WELL, not instead. It isn't true, either. Green Energy UK offers 100% green gas. How did it come to be the "best answer" when it isn't really an answer at all!
Userlevel 5
There isn't anything else we can add to Nancy's answer, @counterpoint! If you're unhappy with the change the Green Gas add on can be cancelled.
I'm also very dissatisfied that OVO have decreased the green gas proportion to 15% for existing customers. They are however still offering 50% Green gas to new customers through their website by the way. Its been almost a week to change it and I've complained but nothing has been done. I've also asked for 50% Green gas because that's what I signed up for or pro rata the £5/month down like the proportion of green gas but both have been refused. And others are right, there are suppliers offering more in the market place - shame we are being fobbed off and OVO thinks its OK to charge the same but offer less.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I'm sorry you feel this way, @walldunc, I understand your point of view, but I cannot expand any further than @Nancy_OVO's answer. I will ensure your feedback is passed on.

Thanks.