Solved

Why has my smart meter now started to send readings after not being in communication since 2019?

• 9 April 2020
  • 4 replies

My Smart meter stopped communicating with OVO in July 2019 and since then I have been in “negotiation” with them to try and get it fixed while putting a manual reading into their website each month.

Well this morning I logged in to put my reading in and it would seem that my meter has come back to life!! There are 3 “smart reads” listed.

I was told originally that I would need to have the meter unit changed as I had been fitted with an older model. Have OVO changed something in the network ?

icon

Best answer by Transparent 9 April 2020, 10:40

Updated on 10/04/20: you’re able to see if the smart meter is communicating with OVO by checking the WAN light on the meter face. If it’s flashing this indicates signal. More info on this topic. 

Hi @PhilipJ451 and thanks for posting this news.

There certainly are changes occurring at OVO in the way that Smart Meter Reads are obtained. Since February a new Billing System has been brought online and those with Smart Meters are being migrated across to it. It is the Billing System software which initiates the SMETS Read command which gets sent to our meters shortly after midnight.

I was one of the customers who also experienced failures with SMETS2 meters during 2019. Mine weren’t sending readings in July 2019, even after a new set was installed. You can read more about this over on the Topic about SMETS2 Installations.

Recently there have been more customers posting here on the Forum with one meter either not sending readings to OVO, or not sending readings to their IHD. These discussions can be read here and here.

OVO’s main HQ in Bristol is now operating with minimal on-site staff. That means the SMETS Engineering Team can’t access to the Meter Lab on the top floor where they would normally explore such anomalies.

So I think it more likely that your meter reads have started by fortuitous coincidence rather than by intention.

Nevertheless I’m just going to tag @BenS_OVO here so that he can note what you’ve said and add it to the evidence file. These little snippets of news are all useful in the quest to find out what causes erratic meter communications.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Updated on 10/04/20: you’re able to see if the smart meter is communicating with OVO by checking the WAN light on the meter face. If it’s flashing this indicates signal. More info on this topic. 

Hi @PhilipJ451 and thanks for posting this news.

There certainly are changes occurring at OVO in the way that Smart Meter Reads are obtained. Since February a new Billing System has been brought online and those with Smart Meters are being migrated across to it. It is the Billing System software which initiates the SMETS Read command which gets sent to our meters shortly after midnight.

I was one of the customers who also experienced failures with SMETS2 meters during 2019. Mine weren’t sending readings in July 2019, even after a new set was installed. You can read more about this over on the Topic about SMETS2 Installations.

Recently there have been more customers posting here on the Forum with one meter either not sending readings to OVO, or not sending readings to their IHD. These discussions can be read here and here.

OVO’s main HQ in Bristol is now operating with minimal on-site staff. That means the SMETS Engineering Team can’t access to the Meter Lab on the top floor where they would normally explore such anomalies.

So I think it more likely that your meter reads have started by fortuitous coincidence rather than by intention.

Nevertheless I’m just going to tag @BenS_OVO here so that he can note what you’ve said and add it to the evidence file. These little snippets of news are all useful in the quest to find out what causes erratic meter communications.

Hi, thanks for the information, I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have been migrated to the new system and as a result my meter is reporting again.

It’s was never a big problem but it’s nice to know why something changes

regards

Philip

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Don’t count your :baby_chick: before they hatch @PhilipJ451 !

Even some of us with “operational” SMETS2 meters are sometimes seeing anomalies. For example, neither of my meter reads from yesterday has been successful.

Even when SMETS Read commands are successful, I often see consecutive days with impossibly identical readings:

The point is that OVO are listening to our feedback so that they’re in a better position to diagnose what’s going on. It’s likely that the 10 or so different errors are actually caused by just one or two actual faults. So some detective work is needed before any code updates can be formulated.

And that’s why I’m grateful you’ve added your feedback to the list :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Tim_OVO wrote

… you’re able to see if the smart meter is communicating with OVO by checking the WAN light on the meter face. If it’s flashing this indicates signal.

Erm - sadly that’s not quite true at the moment! :cry:

Firstly, the indicators are actually on the Communications Hub which is bolted to the top of the SMETS2  Electricity Meter.

And secondly, there are a number of us who are experiencing the “slow flash” pattern on the WAN indicator, but data not always reaching OVO.

The WAN indicator shows that the Communications Hub has an active connection to the Transmitter mast for your area. That’s the Telefonica network in South and Central territories, and Arqiva in the Northern Territory, including Scotland.

However, the slow-flash persists even if data-transfer isn’t happening on to the Data Communications Company (DCC). That could yet be changed in a later software update.

We do, in fact, need another indicator to tell us that the communications link to OVO is genuinely operational.

My current thought is for OVO to add a traffic-light symbol which is visible on each customer’s MyOVO page, giving us indication of whether OVO believes it really does have communication for that particular site.

Then we would only need to contact Customer Services if the traffic light differed from the symptoms we were seeing. That would reduce the number of calls in to CS and save us all time.

What do you think @BenS_OVO ?