Solved

What will happen to Economy Energy Credit balances?

Show first post

324 replies

Left Economy Energy on the 26th September 2018 with them owing me money. Had been trying to have it refunded untill they went bust. Received final statements from them which both show me in credit,
I Please need some information how to contact OVO to enable me to provide them with the information that they require.
thank you
Userlevel 1
Has anyone else cancelled their direct debit with EE? I really don’t want to pay my new supplier and EE/Ovo. If I do cancel I guess it’ll make it even more difficult to get hold of the credit on my account. Interested to hear from anyone.

Have tried ringing OVO several times last week (held in a queue for 32 mins), emailing and DM’ing Darran but not getting anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I'm not sure that phoning OVO is the best strategy @jking. It's a massive amount of work for OVO to piece together the true status of EE's ex-customers' accounts.

Amongst this will be bits of erroneous data that need to be weeded out. There are also other parties involved... such as the Administrator and the Manager running Ofgem's bail-out fund. OVO cannot speak on their behalf.

I can't see how an OVO Customer Services staffer can bring clarity to this in a telephone call.

It would far better to simply send in the required information in a single email to hello@ovoenergy.com and then wait until OVO are in a position to respond.

I don't see any particular reason to cancel a Direct Debit instruction for EE at this stage. As they're in Administration they can't take any further payments. And you are right to point out that it could be a route for the Administrator to repay you.
I'm not sure that phoning OVO

is the best strategy @jking. It's a massive amount of work for OVO

to piece together the true status of EE's ex-customers' accounts.

Amongst this will be bits of erroneous data that need to be weeded out. There are also other parties involved... such as the Administrator and the Manager running Ofgem's bail-out fund. OVO
cannot speak on their behalf.

I can't see how an OVO
Customer Services staffer can bring clarity to this in a telephone call.

It would far better to simply send in the required information in a single email to hello@ovoenergy.com
and then wait until OVO

are in a position to respond.

I don't see any particular reason to cancel a Direct Debit instruction for EE at this stage. As they're in Administration they can't take any further payments. And you are right to point out that it could be a route for the Administrator to repay you.

Hi again EE continued to take DD off me after I left but canceled when I rang but I was lucky it was the same day as the DD and managed to get my bank to reverse the transaction.
Just heard off Darran and replied so going on list now, back onto Scottish power now as extra energy went bust owing me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hah... that's interesting @TonyL. Did you mean Extra Energy rather than Economy Energy (too many EE's around here!)

It was through a historic dispute with Extra Energy which taught me most of what I now know about complaints processes. The Office of the Energy Ombudsman was extremely useful in explaining to me how things are meant to work... and that's the basis of what I now post here to help others.
Your right it was Extra Energy, this energy thing is driving me crazy just trying to decide if I should change from SP Iv'e 4 months to decide so hey ho. Its great people like yourself are out there to ask for advise thanks again and everyone else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Its great people like yourself are out there to ask for advise thanks again and everyone else.

Yes @TonyL the likes of @Transparent and our other super users are amazing and are what keep this community going! 👌

@Jack41 @jking and anyone else with a 'credit with EE' query, thanks for reach out on the forum!

If you were supplied by EE when they stopped trading, your credit balance will get transferred to us along with all of your account info. If you had already left and were owed a refund, we will be honouring this. We just need some time! PM @Darran_OVO who's very kindly adding users who are owed money from EE to a list - make sure to provide your Economy Energy account number, the amount owed, full address, full name, email address and phone number.

For any other queries, there's an Economy Energy FAQ topic here!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ah... that's useful information @Tim_OVO

So if the ex-EE customers are going to receive their refunds from OVO, rather than EE's appointed Administrator, then I assume they can all close their Direct Debits at the bank. I assume OVO can't pay them back by this method because the DD Mandate was in favour of EE, and not OVO.

Can you please confirm this?

Thanks
I had a credit balance of £109 with Economy when my account closed back in October 2018. I have tried on numerous occasions to get this back without success.

Can you please confirm how I can get my money back?

My details are below:

Stephen Martin
Wayside
York Road
Scawthorpe
Doncaster
DN5 7UN
stegstravels@yahoo.co.uk
When I owe money I get charged interest, i'm now owed money and yet I am still paying the interest due to us having to use our overdraft as we were relying on our refund of several hundred pounds 🤔
Can you please contact me so I can give you my account details and meter reads. I believe that I am owed in excess of £300.

I did send Economy Energy an email with details fo my meter reads and money taken. I can forward this to you if you can give me an email address
Hi Amy,

Your credit balance is protected under Ofgems safety net so you are guaranteed your money back. I'd recommend calling Ovo Energy and advise them you are owed a refund, they will take your contact details and refund amount which will be recorded. Once refunds have been validated by Economy Energy's Administrators people who are due refunds will be contacted and a refund will be arranged.
Hi Steve,

Give Ovo a call to inform them you are owed money from Economy Energy, they will take your contact details and refund details, and answer any questions you may have regarding the switch. Customers are being contacted regarding their refunds once the administrators validate the information required.
I was an Economy Energy Dual Fuel customer but did not renew my account from !st November 2018. The last bill I have is from October 2018, this showed a credit on my Gas of £802.45 and a debit on Electricity of £205.33. Although I cancelled my account I have not received a final bill. An additional DD was taken on 6th November 2018 which puts me in Credit of £836.12 without taking into account the cost for usage during October. When can I expect to receive any notification of what is happening.
I have been chasing a credit balance from Economy for 4 months. I have a final bill that I can send to you confirming that Economy Energy owe me £692.00. I am now a customer of EDF. Could you please tell me when I can expect payment of my credit balance to be paid?

Thanks,

Catherine
Userlevel 1
Took the plunge and called Ovo and was dealt efficiently after holding for 32 mins. They’ve advised that I should cancel my direct debit with EE and ring again in 4/6 weeks if no sign of a refund. As long as you’ve had an active direct debit with EE, they will be able to refund into the same bank account.
4-6 weeks 🙄 We'll just continue paying interest on our overdraft and running into debt with other providers while we wait, great.
TO all customers of E E owed credit payments from the closure of your accounts.Please email your details IE Name, Address, Account Number, and credits (money)owed to you now by EE.
Darran of OVO is comprising a list of all those customers owed credits by EE when they went bust.
Send him a PRIVATE Email ( this can be achieved by clicking on his name on the forum site)
DO NOT POST YOUR DETAILS ON THE THE FORUM SITE USE THE PRIVATE SITE ONLY.

THE PRIVATE EMAIL SITE WITH YOUR DETAILS ON CAN ONLY THEN BE SEEN BY DARRAN.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
That's useful feedback you've given above @jking

A. So it's OK to terminate a Direct Debit in favour of EE, and yet OVO believe they can still successfully send a credit to those accounts. Good.

B. We also now have an idea of the timescale involved.

I don't think OVO will be waiting until they've resolved each and every ex-EE account issue before starting to credit people. They might find it easier to settle the amounts still owed to customers who had left EE at least a month before they entered Administration. After all, there's no need to check what's still owed for a current Statement in such cases.

And there will inevitably be a few cases which have to drop to the back of the queue because there is erroneous information to look through. In amongst these will be the inevitable few who have never been an EE customer, but are just "trying it on" to see if they can obtain a payout.

But there will also be some who have since changed their address, or had recently had a meter changed. I'm afraid these will take longer to deal with unless the Administrator is able to secure finance to continue paying a few ex-EE staff with relevant expertise to help sort through their files/databases.

As @Jack41 advises... make sure that you have supplied all necessary information, and that it's correct.
I was with economy energy until August 2018. Since then I have been chasing the money that we are owed on both the gas and electricity. We have also since moved house and this was never updated on their system despite repeatedly telling them. How do I go about getting the money back ? I'm owed over 300 pounds
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Rachelmharv This should be relatively easy for OVO to resolve because your account with EE was already long closed before they entered Administration.

When you email in or send a private Direct Message to @Darran_OVO , make sure you give both your current contact details and the address you were at when you had the contract with EE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
See the main content on this topic for EE FAQs, and also Transparent's comments are worth a read!
Okay, thanks, I have done that already and will wait for a response. Good to know I am on the right path
Hi am an ex customer of economy energy wih a huge amount of money in credit on my account. Although I tried to get a final bill I was just fobbed off with excuses.
I understand this will take time to sort out but am concerned that I have not heard anything for OVO not even to say you are aware of my account. How long should I wait for?