Solved

OVO Foundation donation - how to Gift Aid?

• 25 May 2017
  • 9 replies

I want my monthly donation to be gift-aided. How to I inform OVO of this (there is no Gift Aid tick box on the website)?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 January 2018, 13:09

At the moment, the arrangement set up means this isn't possible yet @Don Carlos. It's something we're working on but it will require some changes, and isn't going to happen overnight.

This seems like a good time to thank anyone who has donated to the OVO Foundation in the past, and for anyone wanting more info, have a look at the work the foundation does here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/ovo-foundation/what-is-ovo-foundation.html.

Tim

08/08/2019: See the latest news on the new OVO Foundation charities here!
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I want my monthly donation to be gift-aided. How to I inform OVO of this (there is no Gift Aid tick box on the website)?

Hi @gamjgamj welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately after a trawl through the help section of the website I'm none the wiser, however fear not! The lovely @Emma_OVO will let you know how to do this when she picks up this post 🙂

Hi @gamjgamj welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately after a trawl through the help section of the website I'm none the wiser, however fear not! The lovely @Emma_OVO will let you know how to do this when she picks up this post :)

Hi guys,

Emma is off until Tuesday so I thought I'd pick this one up.

@Mattj3135 you're not alone, it took me a while to find the answer to this one as well.

@gamjgamj unfortunately we're not able to add gift aid to our donations but this is something we're looking into. I'm not sure exactly why this is, but will try to find out for you.

Thanks so much for supporting the OVO Foundation. You can find out a bit more about where your money goes and the work we're doing with local charities, here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-ovo-23/have-you-heard-about-the-work-were-doing-outside-energy-16/index1.html - Mattj3135 has already shared some of his volunteering stories!

Max
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Cheers @Max_OVO look forward to hearing about when you can gift aid the donations!

Believe it or not most of my career has been built through volunteering 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@gamjgamj - just a heads up that I've moved this query to the All about OVO forum, and tweaked the title a bit so other users can find it.

Hope that's OK,
Tim
I see we still have no reply to why OVO Foundation contributions cannot be Gift Aided. My solution is to cancel my OVO Foundation contributions, and donate to the charities individually, thus enabling them to raise 25% tax-free, and my Income tax/Capital Gains tax to be reduced accordingly. Wake up, OVO Foundation?
When may we expect a definitive answer on this topic, which seems to have been allowed quietly to go to sleep?
Hi @Don Carlos

I've messaged the team again to see if I can provide you with any further updates. As soon as I have more info, I'll be in touch.

Thanks,
Emily
Yes, well I think I've hit on a solution to what appears to be an interminable question on Gift Aid:
OVO Foundation is a registered charity and can therefore claim 25% Gift Aid on contributions made by its donors.
The donors can and should claim Gift Aid on their contributions in their tax returns, whatever OVO Foundation does with its money, thus making their contributions more tax-efficient if they are higher-rate and/or Capital Gains tax payers.

QED

Don Carlos
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
At the moment, the arrangement set up means this isn't possible yet @Don Carlos. It's something we're working on but it will require some changes, and isn't going to happen overnight.

This seems like a good time to thank anyone who has donated to the OVO Foundation in the past, and for anyone wanting more info, have a look at the work the foundation does here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/ovo-foundation/what-is-ovo-foundation.html.

Tim

08/08/2019: See the latest news on the new OVO Foundation charities here!