OVO Energy take over of SSE Retail Confirmed

• 13 September 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi All

Its just been confirmed OVO are taking over SSE's retail business. This will make OVO the second biggest energy supplier in the UK.

See here.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Let's not forget that SSE has been shedding customers over the past eighteen months. At the beginning of 2018 they reporting having just under 7m domestic accounts. Now it's half that.

OVO will need to be offering them good reasons to stick around apart from the undoubted pleasure of corresponding with @Phil_H and I on the Forum 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
It will be interesting to see how OVO integrate the two businesses. I assume SSE still have a significant number of old school customers who have never switched energy provider, dont use the internet to manage their accounts, and pay their bill every three months or so on receipt a paper statement sent through the post...
Following the take-over, will OVO be paying the Feed in Tariff payments to existing SSE FITs customers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
It does not look like much will change in the short term. There is more info from SSE here

I'm sure all the details of the take over have still to be worked out.
Looks like I got out at the right time (though ovo are still helping themselves to my DD even though I'm not a customer, but I want to keep the DD open so I can get hundreds of pounds of credit [and growing] back out - but that's another story).

Customer service and responsiveness have been going down hill for ages, with money being thrown at cycle races and buying competitors.

They've become too big, and now very much resemble all the bad things that customers wanted to get away from years ago.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @harpingon

Have you read this post with the answer from @Nancy_OVO and another post here with an answer from @ITGeek123 ?

Both indicate you can cancel a direct debit at your bank end and whilst OVO cannot take another direct debit they can still refund.
May Ovo can concentrating on keeping the prices down. if I see the prices increase I will move to another supplier.
Hi @harpingon

Have you read this post with the answer from @Nancy_OVO and another post here with an answer from @ITGeek123 ?

Both indicate you can cancel a direct debit at your bank end and whilst OVO cannot take another direct debit they can still refund.

I'm very wary of cancelling direct debits from the bank side, in case some automated system sees 'computer says no' and affects my credit rating. Quite frankly, I don't trust OVO or their advice on this matter, as I've had conflicting advice from various OVO sources over the last couple of months.

Looks like OVO themselves have removed my bank details from their site though. Still got a large credit balance though.

OVO got too big, and forgot what it was that people came to them for in the first place.
Userlevel 5
Your credit rating wouldn't be affected by cancelling your Direct Debit, @harpingon. If we were to cancel the Direct Debit on our end, we wouldn't be able to refund your credit to your bank, which is why we've asked you to cancel it with the bank.

If you don't cancel the Direct Debit we'll do this as soon as your final refund has been processed.