Blog

OVO Community Blog - Issue 14

• 9 September 2019
  • 5 replies
OVO Community Blog - Issue 14
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
What's been going on over the last week?

As usual its been a busy one here at Forum HQ. We've had a load of great interactions across a variety of subjects, which keep us and our active users busy! @Gum168 has been busy giving us some great feedback on a new proposal we are looking at offering our customers. Make sure you have your say. @Simonfea gave us some feedback on our Refer a Friend scheme too. So interesting seeing different customers perspectives on things like this. ☑

Welcome to @sunivak and congrats on posting your first question about your home move. Hopefully one of our active users will be along shortly to help you out! If not, our Mod team will be on it soon. You can check out who's online today here.

We've also had some good discussion on our topic that talks about how we are making our marketing more sustainable.

Autumn is here...
And it was the perfect weekend for a spot of dog walking! Our first family outing with the pup and it was pretty successful! Lots of people and other dogs to meet, al of which went without a hitch. Only downside was a super overtired pup at the end of the day, who went on the equivalent of a huge sugar rush until he finally burnt out...!! 🐕

So what else is new?

Check out the new "Quick Links" feature we've added to the forum homepage, we hope you find them useful. Let us know what you think! As these your go to quick links? Are there any others you'd like to see here? Comment below! We also have a few other changes in the pipeline, so keep an eye out for those!

We also updated you all to confirm that the Direct Debit tool within MyOVO is now fixed, so you can set up your DD directly now without having to call! Another win for self service!! 🎉

Talking of self service, I want to find out what it is that makes you want to self serve, and on the flip side, if you don;t like using self service options, why is that? Are you just not familiar with it? Do you just assume its usually bad so don't use it as your go to, or are you just too lazy to bother giving it a go! 🤷🏻

Whichever camp you are in, I'd love to hear from you so get commenting on my Self Service topic to share your views!

If you have 5 minutes spare this week, remember to check our new Quick Link to unanswered questions. There are customers that need your expertise!! Be the good guy and brighten up someones day!

Also if you are new to our community, like @RGH, @rdcanyon, @oakesaro and @sophiapage, check out our welcome topic. You can find everything you need to know about our community and how you can get more involved.

I'm sure there will be a lot going on across this coming week, so get involved and join us on our journey!

Speak soon :)

Darran
Community Manager

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
It looks like Max had a more adventurous weekend than I did!

I decided I really ought to fit the new floating intake-valve for my well. This should alleviate the amount of clay sediment which was getting sucked into our water-supply.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 3 metres of water in the 6m deep well – pretty good for this time of year.

I was less pleased to find that a tree root had found its way in. I hooked it out and laid it on the grass for you all to see:

Someday I need to remove the grass that surrounds the well cover and also build a wall around it on advice from our local Environmental Health Officer. But I'd like to devise a method of access first... without dismantling the wall or needing a ladder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Depends on your definition of adventurous!! Lol!

Seems like you need a retaining wall, with some kind of iron gate! I'm sure you will come up with something!! Bonus though finding a usable well to draw water from! Look forward to seeing it develop!!

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The iron gate bit defeats the object. There are reasons why traditional wells look like this... and it has nothing to do with pretty pictures on postcards:

It's important to prevent solid contaminants (leaves etc) from being blown into the well. If they can enter, then they decompose, sink to the bottom and give off gasses like methane or carbon dioxide. That somewhat nullifies my contributions to prevent global warming!

So you'll now understand why I lifted out the tree roots.

There are several reported incidents of gasses emerging from large bodies of water with catastrophic results. Lake Nyos in Cameroon killed 2000 villagers in 1986 by suffocating them with an eruption of carbon dioxide.

The lake to keep an eye on is Kivu, between Rwanda and the Congo. This has vast quantities of methane trapped in sediments from decayed vegetation on the lake floor. In fact there is a beer-production plant near Goma at the northern end, which extracts the methane through a pipe and burns it to heat the fermentation tanks!

However, there is a volcano, Nyiragongo, to the north of Goma which has a branch of lava steadily growing beneath the city towards the Kivu. One day the entire lake will explode in a massive fireball.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Transparent sounds like a ladder is the way forward then!! 🙂

Wow didn't know that, funny how these things, which are so dangerous, never make the main stream headlines!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I suspect that headline-writers don't spend enough of their time sipping Rwandan beer as the sun sets over beautiful lakes in Africa!

When I first visited there in 1999 (5 years after the genocide), I had all the recommended vaccinations including anti-rabies. The Rwandans thought that was very funny because, unlike most of Africa, they didn't have dogs roaming the streets.

"Why not?" I enquired.

"If we found any in 1994, we ate them!"

(Don't tell Max)