Blog

OVO Community Blog - Issue 10

OVO Community Blog - Issue 10
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Wow, 10 weeks in already!
Firstly, big thanks to @Nancy_OVO and @Eva_OVO for taking the reigns while I enjoyed some well needed time off. Majorca is beautiful, in particular Puerto Pollensa, where we stayed is stunning.

But, now back down to earth and back to the daily grind!

In other news...
@Amy_OVO recently started our very own virtual Pets Corner, and its great to see so many of you sharing your pet photos and stories, lets keep that going, so good to have some positivity, especially when the UK weather is not being that kind to us right now!

And in line with that, I mentioned last week, I had some news, and here it is. My little family welcomed Max to our home over the weekend, and so far he's settling in great! You can read more about the first couple of days with him here.

In and around the forum:

It's been another busy week. We've been signing people up to take part in some user research in working out and managing your Carbon Footprint. Want to be involved? Comment on @Tim_OVO topic to find out more and get involved.

EV's have also been discussed this week, you can read more and chat to fellow EV owners, like @Leo Moran @aaronr and @NoPoke on this EV topic here.

Don't forget if you have a question for us directly or need a mod, check out our Mod of the day topic to find out who's on duty!

The OVO Foundation have also been busy working with local charities and you can find out more about this over here where we've announced the fab five we will be working with over the next year.

That's it from me for the moment. Have a great week, get involved!!

Darran
Community Manager

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So while @Darran_OVO's been sunning himself in Majorca, I've been very busy back here in the UK making good a window that had suffered bomb damage:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ha, was this recent bomb damage? Did a batch of your jam explode.....!! Lol

In all seriousness, do you have a after shot? Is it finished yet? Assuming, this hasn't been open the whole time letting out valuable heat and energy.....??

Anyone else busy renovating? I know @ITGeek123 has been busy getting his house up to speed, but anyone else doing any serious DIY? @Delboy @Peter bethania @BrizzleLass @Steve587

Darran
Userlevel 3
Badge
Nothing for me, I rent so I'm not allowed to go all DIY on the place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah, yeah bet that can be frustrating sometimes, but also nice that you don't have to worry about it!!

How've you been? All good?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yeah all good here. Thanks. Yourself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes @BrizzleLass the world of OVO is as busy as ever!!

Hope to see you popping up around the community when you have time 🙂

Darran
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi all,
In my case DIY stands for Destroy It Yourself!
I once got a cordless screw driver which I used to remove any screw I could find, I practically took the house apart.
My wife has banned me for anything DIY and we get someone in if we need any work doing.
So my cunning plan worked and I never have to do DIY again. 😀
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Haha @Delboy like your style, maybe I should try that next time!! lol!

Hope you don't have any DIY planned for the weekend!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I don't make my jam that explosive @Darran_OVO. This window was knocked out of alignment due to the lintel being blasted upwards from a German bomb in 1940. I've only got around to sorting it out.

You don't want to rush these things you know!

The new window is all sealed in on the exterior, and I'm now plastering up the reveals on the inside.

Meanwhiles, yes it's going to be a crackin' jam-making season. The hedgerows are bursting with fruits, all crying out to be picked:

In fact the blackberry season is likely to be particularly long in 2019. I've got my second batch of jam on the go this morning, and yet the bramble bushes are sprouting fresh shoots with white blossom all over again.

Since I own the hedgerows around my garden, I scouted around the area a few years back and deliberately imported brambles of different varieties.

On the left you can see the usual ones that grow along country lanes and footpaths, and on the right are the giant ones I'm mainly using for jam today.

The giants have about three times the amount of fluid, but not as much of the intense flavours found in the normal-sized ones. So you end up with a more delicate jam. For that reason I'll be using pears to add enough pectin rather than an apple. The pear produces an aroma of blossom to the resulting jam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
In fact the blackberry season is likely to be particularly long in 2019. I've got my second batch of jam on the go this morning, and yet the bramble bushes are sprouting fresh shoots with white blossom all over again.

Does that mean 3 harvests / jam making rounds in one year? Not bad!

🤗
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Not quite @Tim_OVO - I usually get two or three lots of jam off one round blackberry fruiting. So both of this year's batches have come from the first set of flowers.

If the cold weather holds off for the autumn, then I might get another load of fruit at the end of September or early October.