OVO and Corgi Homecare partner up - thoughts?


Received an email from OVO regarding taking out homecare with Corgi.

Did a bit of digging around online and found Corgi Homecare to be labelled as little more than cowboys and totally unreliable.

I'm currently with British Gas homecare and am unhappy with the costs.

Liked the look of the cover and price (first 3 months free) from Corgi but am a bit bewildered with OVO recommending the 'cowboys'.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

35 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
blairmichael59 wrote:

Received an email from OVO regarding taking out homecare with Corgi.

Did a bit of digging around online and found Corgi Homecare to be labelled as little more than cowboys and totally unreliable.

I'm currently with British Gas homecare and am unhappy with the costs.

Liked the look of the cover and price (first 3 months free) from Corgi but am a bit bewildered with OVO recommending the 'cowboys'.

Any help appreciated.

Mike



Hey blairmichael59,

Since launching in 2011, CORGI HomePlan has grown rapidly with double-digit, year-on-year increases in customer numbers. It has built an exceptionally strong brand and a reputation for great customer service, delivered through its proprietary tech platform and its engineer network.

It’s a real shame to hear that you found this information online about Corgi as they’re really well reviewed with a lot of happy customers (you can read some of their customers reviews here: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/corgihomeplan.co.uk).

If you’d like some more information on this, check out our blog post on this from May 2017 here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/about-ovo/media-centre/press-releases/2017/may/ovo-acquires-corgi-homeplan.html.

Lucy
Badge
All of these Home are plans are a massive rip off. They only pay out for a new boiler up to £2500, on boilers up to 7 years old if yours fails. And just £400 on boilers older than this. In addition, damage by cold weather freezing, or boilers that have not been serviced religiously every year........ Not covered either.

The policy wording for this is not so much a document designed to let you know how you are covered, but instead a list of reasons and excuses to reduce or negate payment in a claim.


I genuinely beleive OVO is better than this sort of thing. It is just a money grab by the business, and will likely see me look elsewhere when renewal comes around, it is clear someone new has come in to improve profitability, and their tiny blinkered mind is only capable of looking over the shoulders of the Big 6. It makes me sick.

£324 per year for cover, and with the worst case scenario being boiler breakdown most people will get either £400 or nothing paid out.

Customers would be better off increasing their monthly payments by £30, getting in credit and collecting the 3% interest you generously pay. After 1 year they would have enough to pay for most issues that may occur themselves.

Better still, OVO could create its own useful policy, rather than bring in, this shower of [insert preferred expletive] monsters.

I am truly disappointed, my expectations exceeded the reality. I would be interested to know, what has changed at OVO head office for this to have been allowed through?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @MartinC,

The Trustpilot reviews really do speak volumes as it is independently judged by people who have used their service.

Can you please private message me some more specifics on what you’ve read and where so I can raise this to the team?

Thanks,
Lucy
I have been with Ovo for a little while now, and when recently reviewing the market I declined a few cheaper suppliers because I appreciate the way Ovo operate. It is not easy to inculcate a truly customer-focussed culture into an overly-complicated industry that is delivering an essential but unsexy commodity to the public whilst trying to stay competitive.

My experience with Ovo is that they have succeeded - so far. Great website (although the usage graph is excluded from that description), great communications and genuinely helpful staff when you actually need to speak to a human.

I also have British Gas Homecare for central heating cover. It is stupidly expensive, service communications not great ,but they have always been brilliant when dealing with breakdowns, which is what concerns me most. I realise that I might just be fortunate to live in an area where they have good engineers and that other areas might have a different experience. Perhaps others in this forum would like to add their own experiences, or perhaps it's not appropriate, I don't know.

So, to read that Ovo have purchased Corgi HomePlan was a surprise. The internet is sodden with poor reviews covering everything from engineers having no/or poor customer service training - which you might expect from some small plumbing outfits - to the wriggling out of claims through exclusions in contracts.

I would dearly like to have a credible alternative to British Gas. But I do need a service I can trust. At the moment, I feel it would be irresponsible to choose Corgi. If I was in charge of Ovo I would have purchased Corgi and put its house and reputation in order (if that is possible) before associating it with the Ovo brand, even if that meant slower growth for Corgi. Like most other people, if I ever had a bad Corgi experience, Ovo would be history. And the British public have long memories.

At the moment I view the Corgi reputation as being similar to that of the past reputation of Skoda. Let's hope the rehabilitation is as transformative, but swifter. I now worry about the ability of Ovo to maintain it's own reputation and service levels.

I would be interested to know what other Ovo customers think?
Homeserve is good and cheaper than Corgi
I thought I might share my recent first hand experiences of Corgi HomePlan on the forum for others to see so that they can make an informed decision as to whether to use them or not.
I too was fed up with the cost of British Gas servicing plans and decided to move to Corgi HomePlan, in part because of the first three months free but also because it came with recommendations from OVO.
My boiler started losing pressure on Wednesday last week and so I telephoned the 24/7 helpline at about midday to request an engineer visit. Having heard nothing all day at 7pm. I telephoned the customer services number given in their brochure to check on the progress of my call out. The automated message is quite informative i.e. If we haven’t been in touch with you within two hours of you raising the call-out don’t worry, we’re working on it, pretty meaningless really. I eventually spoke to someone who told me that they couldn’t tell me what was happening to my call-out as their system didn’t give that information and I would have to call back during working hours the following day, they did agree with me that that wasn’t really the 24/7 hour helpline described in their literature. Fortunately an engineer called at 9pm. to arrange to visit the following day, he couldn’t give me a time but would call on Thursday morning to arrange which he duly did. He identified the fault as the Pressure Relief Valve but told me that he already had 4 on back order so didn’t know whether Corgi would get him to order the parts and fit or arrange for a visit from a Worcester Bosch engineer to fix the faults. He left at 2pm. telling me that someone would be in touch. On Friday morning I telephoned Corgi HomePlan to find out what was happening and was told that they didn’t know and couldn’t get hold of the engineer but had left him a voicemail message, when I tried to suggest that maybe they could monitor this situation and call me back with progress later on that day they told me that was all they could do and hung up on me. I telephoned their contact number to complain but the operator couldn’t log my complaint nor could they update me on the progress of my call-out, she did however helpfully, (or so I thought,) raise the issue to a management call back, that was at midday on Friday. Last night I telephoned Customer Service again to find out what had happened to my call back and was told that their complaints number is not the one stated in their brochure but a different number and my management call back was still in the system, the operator then hung up on me (getting to be routine now). This morning (Saturday) I telephone to check to see if there has been any progress with my call-out and the number dropped out after 15 minutes. I telephoned the number I had been given for the complaints department only to be told by automated message that they were closed but that they are open on Saturday mornings until 1pm., it was 11:30am. I tried 3 times but each time it went to voicemail. I have now spoken to Customer Service again who can’t update me on my call-out and have told me to wait for the management call back but can’t give me any idea of when that might be. So 24 hours later I am still waiting for the management call back and 3 days after reporting the fault I still do not have any idea what’s happening.
Draw your own conclusions but once this repair is sorted I know exactly what I will be doing. I am frankly appalled that OVO have allied themselves with this company and I would have thought that OVO need to investigate where on earth these glowing TrustPilot reviews have come from. Every experience I have had during the numerous telephone calls I have had lead me to believe that their operators are trained to ‘stonewall’ customers and if they haven’t got any answers then they hang up.
Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of moving to Corgi HomePlan for an improved experience, you have been warned!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmm.

Before you read any further, please note that I am not advocating that you should repair your own gas boiler. It is illegal to do so unless you are trained and Gas-Safe Registered.

I'm very much in favour of the general public doing a lot more for ourselves and only leaving the more technical stuff for the professionals. Didn't it used to be more like this anyway?

Prompted by this thread, I visited the Corgi/OVO page then clicked on the Trustpilot link at the foot.

It is true that there has been a rush of negative reviews in the last few weeks, coinciding with the seriously poor weather. However, on careful reading, many of these were for boiler failures for the same reason - an iced-up condensate/overflow pipe.

I wonder what would have happened if the symptoms had been sent to this Forum instead of people initiating calls to Corgi. Could we have used the combined wealth of knowledge here to identify the common issue and tell people how to melt the ice and get their boilers working again?

Moreover, I could easily describe ways to avoid the problem reoccurring in future. The condensate pipe runs from the boiler to the outside and can readily be altered to avoid icing with little technical skill. I'll post details here if requested.

Turning next to @Buster's posting above, a Worcester Bosch Pressure Relief Valve isn't a major issue. Here is one:


I believe it discharges the water through the same condensate pipe on most boilers. So I do wonder if the underlying cause is also possibly cold weather.

Anyway, assuming the Corgi engineer's analysis is right, you could buy a proper Worcester/Bosch replacement PRV online for about £20 with next-day delivery. So why wait days until he's gone through the official Corgi channels?

In the town where I live, we have a number of independent tradesmen who would be quite happy to leave me to source components for them because it's a hassle they could do without. Their main income is from the diagnosis and fitting time for which they are properly qualified.
Many thanks @Transparent some sensible suggestions there. With regard to the TrusPilot reviews, I don't disagree with you about the recent spate of negative comments it is however interesting to analyse the general response. Nearly 10% of the comments rate this service at average or below average which means that out of the approx 7500 comments there are 750 customers who were not impressed, not something I would be proud of. Most of the positive comments relate to the interaction with the engineer and not Corgi themselves, the problem seems to arise when Corgi are asked to do any more than the basics of contacting the engineer. Having had the phone hung up on me on two occasions and I'm still waiting from last Thursday for a management call back, customer service doesn't seem to be one of their strong points.
I take your point about ordering parts and it's a very sensible suggestion but not one my Corgi engineer would be happy about I suspect, as he then will not be able to inflate the costs to maximise his fee. Forgive my cyniscism.
Fault reported last Wednesday, nothing so far today, Monday, my review will not be glowing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Cheers, @Buster.

I think all national contract-based plumbing services are going to struggle to cope once there's a bout of poor weather.

I wouldn't sign up for one myself, but that's because I'm gradually learning how to make my home energy systems more resilient.

It is unfortunately the case that most homes have just one method of cooking, or one method of heating hot water etc. Few of us could cope with the loss of a service such as gas, water or electricity for more than a day. I find that unacceptable.

Perhaps we should spend more time on this forum discussing ways in which we can make our homes less likely to suffer from failures of mission-critical technology.

It would be nice if Corgi was able to prioritise help for those in most need of help. It would be great if an elderly relative could be given a birthday gift of a year's contract with Corgi, safe in the knowledge that they would be guaranteed a home visit the same day, and alternative heating/cooking arranged overnight if a repair couldn't immediately be completed.
Userlevel 3
@Transparent your comment hit home. We had a replacement boiler and properly insulated (ha ha, pull the other one !) hot water tank installed by British gas whilst under service contract. The new tank did not have an immersion heater, and when I queried this I was told that this was the current standard. So we only have one method of heating water.

You say national services will struggle. Local services will just decline to assist!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
You could still change the tank to something that actually does what you want. The gas boiler would then just be one of several energy feeds into your system.

Here's my cylinder (self-installed by "learning as I go")


This is technically a Pressurised Thermal Store. It delivers domestic hot water (DHW) at 60degC and underfloor heating (UFH) at 45degC.

It also acts as an input to my MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery) system which supplies fresh air at 20degC to the main living rooms.

The energy inputs are:
  • 28Kw gas boiler
  • Solar-thermal panel (black insulated pipes)
  • LV 1.2Kw immersion heater, operating as a dump-load from 24v off-grid battery stack. Charged with dual inputs of solar-PV and wind-turbine.

Now my cylinder arrangement is more complicated than most people need because I also have no mains water supply. The entire system operates from a well-pump.

But I'm showing this here because I hope it illustrates my approach to having system resilience.

Not only do I have multiple heat inputs, but even if the well pump fails on a Friday afternoon, we have enough stored water to last through the weekend.

We need to change the way we build houses. Our ancestors wouldn't have dreamed of relying on complex technology which required a specialist man to arrive whenever he could find his way through the snow! :S
Userlevel 3
It would be great to have anything remotely like that much space.
I applaud you for your determination and resilience.
Ah but who rates Trustpilot?
I had an engineer out on Monday to deal with a boiler leak. He was excellent and soon restored our water supply and heating but told us he would need to get a part ordered before he could complete the repair and until then we would have no hot water. As we are pensioners he said he would mark it as urgent. It is now Thursday and we are still waiting. Definitely have the fobbed off feeling when contacting Corgi helpline who are unable even to contact the engineer and say we'll just have to wait until he makes contact. How hard is it to get parts for a modern Worcester Bosch? For all British Gas 's faults they would have resolved this within 24 hours. OVO should not be promoting an outfit like this. My advice is stay well clear.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Erm... that's interesting @Macky.

I don't think OVO are merely promoting Corgi Homeplan, I believe they own it!

Have a look on the Companies House website at the Directors running CLBC Holdings Ltd and compare these with OVO Energy Ltd.

Now look at the page for "Persons with significant control" at Corgi Homeplan Ltd and you'll see just one "person"... CLBC Holdings!

There's also Corgi Homeheat Ltd, a sister company at the same address. This too shares the same Directors as OVO Energy.

Yes, I too am surprised that replacement parts for a Worcester Bosch boiler couldn't be delivered the next day. Corgi Homeplan's website suggests that use local sub-contractors who are not direct employees. I wonder what timescales they are required to respond within?

Nevertheless, your contract is with Corgi Homeplan, not the sub-contractor. You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which replaced the Sale of Goods Act, and gives more extensive rights on Services rather than just Goods.

Corgi's website Contact Us page has links to their Complaints System. Try it.
Userlevel 1
blairmichael59 wrote:

Received an email from OVO regarding taking out homecare with Corgi.

Did a bit of digging around online and found Corgi Homecare to be labelled as little more than cowboys and totally unreliable.

I'm currently with British Gas homecare and am unhappy with the costs.

Liked the look of the cover and price (first 3 months free) from Corgi but am a bit bewildered with OVO recommending the 'cowboys'.

Any help appreciated.

Mike



Yeah those of us of an age, and maybe some enthusiasts know that Corgi made boys toys, rather like Dinky Toys, says it all really dunnit! I'm quite possibly going to have to replace my boiler, it does play up, and I've spent money on it, but no more, it is over 13 years old after all. So when I saw the £300 off in October offer I was interested, so went to the site filled in the questionnaire and came up with a suggested boiler or two and installed prices. The whole process quite amused me, as I had already filled in an almost identical questionnaire for BOXT, who came up with pretty much the same kind of prices, but, most of the suggested boilers were Worcester Bosch, which to be honest is the only one I will buy. They come with a 10 year warranty, which means of course you need it servicing to keep that. I don't actually believe in servicing boilers, and my step son who is a fully accredited gas fitter and an Aga expert totally agrees with that. Servicing is done often by Micky Mouse people, who in so doing, cause a lot of the repair work that is needed. Get it mended when it fails, or replace depending on the cost of course, a decision to make when and if it happens. My current one first gave trouble at 10 years old, Homeheat/Homeserve can't remember which, anyway, guy came, told me the system pressure was a bit low, so I said yes it does drop over a period of time and I top it up, I think there's a small leak somewhere. He disagreed, and went on to tell me that copper tube is porous. He hadn't banked on me not being a time served, and now retired precision mechanical engineer and knowing full well that what he'd said was a complete load of *******! Anyway , having fixed the boiler, so he said, he started off out, his first mistake was the leave his van parked the wrong way round,(I live in a Cul de Sac) so while he was turning round, I did a quick check of the boiler, and quickly ran downstairs and stood in front of his van, and said, sorry mate its still not working. Reluctantly he came back in, I knew he'd already signed out of being here and was showing as on the way to his next job, life's a bitch innit! He was here another 30 minutes, and several more "engineers" came over the next few weeks. I kept saying it was a circuit board problem, and the second to last guy to come( an older experienced and honest guy) said if it packs up again, when you call in tell them to send in someone with a complete set of circuit boards. So, it did happen, and guess who came with the complete set of boards, yep the porous copper guy, he looked a bit sheepish, and no he didn't get a bloody cup of coffee. And that is why , 1, you don't service boilers, and 2, if you need help the only one who can and has to stick by what they do, is the original manufacturer. I'll post what I think of BOXT once I need to use them, I've a feeling from what I've read It'll all be good! I hope.
Update on my Corgi Homeplan experience. Reported badly leaking boiler on Sat Oct 12. My wife phoned me from home in York to say water was coming through ceiling. Rang Corgi helpline who promised to contact engineer and call me back on my mobile after I explained I was away for the weekend in Manchester. Got no reply. My wife turned water off and left buckets to catch any further drips then left to stay at her mother’s. She returned the following morning to find the return call I should have got on our home answer phone. She called the number provided but the Corgi rep said she could only speak to the policy holder despite being told that I was away and refused to help my very worried wife. I returned later in the day and at last organised an engineer visit for Mon 14. As related in my last post engineer could not complete the repair as needed a part but promised to mark it up as urgent. Finally got a repair date for 24th Oct by which time we’ll have been without hot water for 12 days. Calls to Corgi got the standard response of wait for contact from engineer and when I did get a response it was on my answer phone instead of my mobile again and as it was a Friday the engineer’s was closed for the weekend by the time I got the message wasting yet more time and when I rang on the Monday they claimed they had not been told the job was urgent!
The whole point of cover is to be sure of help in an emergency. I haven’t had it making the policy a complete waste of money. British Gas leaves a lot to be desired but they deliver what counts, repairs speedily. I could have driven anywhere in the UK and got the part myself in 24 hours for Corgi to take 10 days is unprofessional and unforgivable and for us the whole experience has been a disaster. A shabby way to be treated, cheap but deplorable policy, stay away from Corgi.
Userlevel 1
Macky wrote:

Update on my Corgi Homeplan experience. Reported badly leaking boiler on Sat Oct 12. My wife phoned me from home in York to say water was coming through ceiling. Rang Corgi helpline who promised to contact engineer and call me back on my mobile after I explained I was away for the weekend in Manchester. Got no reply. My wife turned water off and left buckets to catch any further drips then left to stay at her mother’s. She returned the following morning to find the return call I should have got on our home answer phone. She called the number provided but the Corgi rep said she could only speak to the policy holder despite being told that I was away and refused to help my very worried wife. I returned later in the day and at last organised an engineer visit for Mon 14. As related in my last post engineer could not complete the repair as needed a part but promised to mark it up as urgent. Finally got a repair date for 24th Oct by which time we’ll have been without hot water for 12 days. Calls to Corgi got the standard response of wait for contact from engineer and when I did get a response it was on my answer phone instead of my mobile again and as it was a Friday the engineer’s was closed for the weekend by the time I got the message wasting yet more time and when I rang on the Monday they claimed they had not been told the job was urgent!
The whole point of cover is to be sure of help in an emergency. I haven’t had it making the policy a complete waste of money. British Gas leaves a lot to be desired but they deliver what counts, repairs speedily. I could have driven anywhere in the UK and got the part myself in 24 hours for Corgi to take 10 days is unprofessional and unforgivable and for us the whole experience has been a disaster. A shabby way to be treated, cheap but deplorable policy, stay away from Corgi.



Yeah, my experience had some similarities to yours that I didn't mention.

Emergency cover it ain't. Had to wait several days for the first call out, the boiler played up again within a couple of days, so called again, and again it was going to be days maybe even over a week before anyone could come. I pointed out that this was not just a call out for repair, it was a call out for a repair they didn't do successfully the first time, and I didn't expect to join the back of the queue for that. That made no difference to them, or when I had to call for the next 4 or 5 times to say it still wasn't fixed, must have been 6/8 weeks before I had a fully and correctly working boiler again, well for about 18 months or so then the same thing happened again, more or less. At least now for the time being at least, I know where to kick it when it gives trouble and so far this has kept it running. Not especially satisfactory as a complete failure will inevitably come, but as BOXT can pretty much do a next day replacement I'm not worried, especially as I have a powerful back up gas log fire downstairs that heats even the bedrooms above when full on via heat in the chimney breast.

The morals for me, firstly never sign up in panic ( or even not in a panic) to anyone who professes to be able to provide a great service, show me what you can do first and I'll either pay for that or sign up if totally satisfied.

Secondly, as everyone has their terms and conditions that we have to agree to, remember, we the customer that provides all these companies with a most healthy turnover and profit, should state and expect acceptance of, our own terms and conditions. No one will of course, but at least they'll know the lay of the land if you're not given service!
I had a email from Ovo a few weeks ago saying they were partnering up with corgi to do Intergas new boilers. I know that Ovo are great and the boilers are good so thought time to replace my old one. Signed up for it with a quote £2500, a surveying engineer then came around and looked at the job, confirmed that they would fit the boiler, wireless thermostat and a water filter to the boiler for the quoted price
Last week they did the job and it all seemed good, very professional . Just before the fitter left he explained the boiler and I asked where the filter was and how it’s changed. He told me that he had not fitted it as it was not needed as he had cleaned the system and all was good.
I then read the 10 year warranty that came with the boiler and it said that a filter must be fitted or the warranty would be void.
I contacted the surveyed who came out from the company and he came around today and confirmed a filter should have been fitted and that he would fit one next week . Great I thought , a little hiccup but sorted professionally.
Today I have been contacted by corgi who told me they wanted £500 from me to fit the filter. I told them that that was outrageous and that they should have fitted it originally as quoted and paid for. A very rude corgi man then told me yes the engineer should have fitted it as stated by the surveyer and that the boiler now does not have a warranty due to no filter but “ they are not prepared to stand the cost of revisiting and fitting the filter.
I really could not believe it, I went for this because Ovo is such a great company. They failed to fit the filter as surveyed but now they want £500 extra on top of the £2500 to put their mistake right.
I have told them, that this is no right, they sort it or their subcontracted engineer does but why should I pay for their mistake.
So guys beware this deal and Ovo do you realise this is going on with an affiliated company. Ovo you are better than this .
Userlevel 3
It's a shame to hear about your experience, @Ginger. I've moved your query over here, where you'll be able to find more info on Corgi.

You'll need to contact Corgi directly about this, you can call them on 0800 032 4795.

Eva
Userlevel 1
Ginger wrote:

I had a email from Ovo a few weeks ago saying they were partnering up with corgi to do Intergas new boilers. I know that Ovo are great and the boilers are good so thought time to replace my old one. Signed up for it with a quote £2500, a surveying engineer then came around and looked at the job, confirmed that they would fit the boiler, wireless thermostat and a water filter to the boiler for the quoted price
Last week they did the job and it all seemed good, very professional . Just before the fitter left he explained the boiler and I asked where the filter was and how it’s changed. He told me that he had not fitted it as it was not needed as he had cleaned the system and all was good.
I then read the 10 year warranty that came with the boiler and it said that a filter must be fitted or the warranty would be void.
I contacted the surveyed who came out from the company and he came around today and confirmed a filter should have been fitted and that he would fit one next week . Great I thought , a little hiccup but sorted professionally.
Today I have been contacted by corgi who told me they wanted £500 from me to fit the filter. I told them that that was outrageous and that they should have fitted it originally as quoted and paid for. A very rude corgi man then told me yes the engineer should have fitted it as stated by the surveyer and that the boiler now does not have a warranty due to no filter but “ they are not prepared to stand the cost of revisiting and fitting the filter.
I really could not believe it, I went for this because Ovo is such a great company. They failed to fit the filter as surveyed but now they want £500 extra on top of the £2500 to put their mistake right.
I have told them, that this is no right, they sort it or their subcontracted engineer does but why should I pay for their mistake.
So guys beware this deal and Ovo do you realise this is going on with an affiliated company. Ovo you are better than this .



Well Ginger, nothing changes t seems!

Now have to ask, how did you pay for this , was it credit/debit card, and did you get your quote in writing to include the filter. If so, contact your card provider explaining that you'd not got what you'd been quoted for, and paid for, there has to be retribution. Also contact the boiler manufacturer and tell them your story, hopefully to lean on Corgi, and at worst promise in writing to hour the 10 year warranty. Don't give up, or pay more money, keep slogging away until you get the result you want, and to be honest I feel OVO should shoulder at least some of the responsibility for this and get involved heavily with Corgi on this issue before any more of us get caught up with Corgi's unprofessionalism, bordering on scamming! And finally, don't forget Trading Standards they should also be able to put pressure on Corgi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Before we get a deluge of similar complaints about service and goods supplied by Corgi, can I please expand on my previous comment about the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

This Act is now administered via the Citizens Advice Service.

The Act extended the earlier Sale of Goods Act to encompass almost all financial transactions which include goods and services. In the case of @Ginger's new boiler, there are obviously elements of both involved.

As I understand it, the liability is not limited to putting right an omission by, for example, retro-fitting the filter in the C/H return to the boiler. The fact that the boiler has now been run such that the Manufacturer's Guarantee is void, is a material loss of Service which would normally be expected. To correct this might reasonably involve fitting an entirely new boiler.

(The Installer may seek to avoid this by paying for an Engineer from the Manufacturer to attend on-site and inspect the boiler prior to issuing a fresh 10-year Guarantee. But that's up to him to discuss with the Manufacturer. The Customer should not be required to fund this or agree to it without the Manufacturer making such an offer in writing.)

The Act also introduces a much improved Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service, which the seller may wish to refer to in order to avoid legal action in the County Court. However, it does not diminish the Consumer's right to file for Proceedings in the Small Claims Division of the County Court, which can done online. This route also has options for 3rd Party Mediation.

You have to pay the Court Fee when you file the Claim, which will be added to the Judgement if your Claim is successful. You do not need a solicitor, and for claims under £5000, you can't reclaim legal fees from the Defendant, even if you win.

However, long before you start invoking such proceedings, there are two initial stages which must be completed.

1. File a Complaint with the Supplier (Corgi), clearly stating what is wrong and the solution you are seeking. This complaint may have two or even three stages, involving ever higher people within the business structure. Check the firm's published Complaints Procedure.

2. If the Complaint is unsuccessful, then send a Letter Before Action, typically to a "Customer Services Manager" at the Registered Business Address. Under Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), send it 1st Class Post (not registered). It is deemed to have been received 2 days later.

The Letter Before Action must state that you have followed and exhausted the Company's own Complaints Procedure and that you now intend to take the following action (state it) unless the remedy you require (state it) is implemented within a set time period (2 weeks or a month is typical).


Unless you have taken both of these steps, neither the Alternative Dispute Resolution nor the County Court route is likely to find in your favour.

By all means use this Forum to seek clarification of technical issues and advice on possible resolutions resulting from Corgi's services, but none of the Moderators or Ninjas has the background or remit to handle issues other than those which OVO itself is directly involved in. Currently that is limited to a marketing offer of a Corgi Contract.

A classic way to fail in a dispute or Court Case is to identify the wrong company as a culprit! It happens surprisingly often.

In this case, effort is best spent checking whether your Contract is with Corgi Homeplan Ltd or Corgi Homeheat Ltd., neither of which is a subsiduary of OVO Energy Ltd.

I've tried to write this clearly enough that the Moderators and other Forum Members can refer others to it hereafter. It isn't comprehensive, but I hope it's useful!
Userlevel 1
Transparent wrote:

Before we get a deluge of similar complaints about service and goods supplied by Corgi, can I please expand on my previous comment about the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

This Act is now administered via the Citizens Advice Service.

The Act extended the earlier Sale of Goods Act to encompass almost all financial transactions which include goods and services. In the case of @Ginger's new boiler, there are obviously elements of both involved.

As I understand it, the liability is not limited to putting right an omission by, for example, retro-fitting the filter in the C/H return to the boiler. The fact that the boiler has now been run such that the Manufacturer's Guarantee is void, is a material loss of Service which would normally be expected. To correct this might reasonably involve fitting an entirely new boiler.

(The Installer may seek to avoid this by paying for an Engineer from the Manufacturer to attend on-site and inspect the boiler prior to issuing a fresh 10-year Guarantee. But that's up to him to discuss with the Manufacturer. The Customer should not be required to fund this or agree to it without the Manufacturer making such an offer in writing.)

The Act also introduces a much improved Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service, which the seller may wish to refer to in order to avoid legal action in the County Court. However, it does not diminish the Consumer's right to file for Proceedings in the Small Claims Division of the County Court, which can done online. This route also has options for 3rd Party Mediation.

You have to pay the Court Fee when you file the Claim, which will be added to the Judgement if your Claim is successful. You do not need a solicitor, and for claims under £5000, you can't reclaim legal fees from the Defendant, even if you win.

However, long before you start invoking such proceedings, there are two initial stages which must be completed.

1. File a Complaint with the Supplier (Corgi), clearly stating what is wrong and the solution you are seeking. This complaint may have two or even three stages, involving ever higher people within the business structure. Check the firm's published Complaints Procedure.

2. If the Complaint is unsuccessful, then send a Letter Before Action, typically to a "Customer Services Manager" at the Registered Business Address. Under Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), send it 1st Class Post (not registered). It is deemed to have been received 2 days later.

The Letter Before Action must state that you have followed and exhausted the Company's own Complaints Procedure and that you now intend to take the following action (state it) unless the remedy you require (state it) is implemented within a set time period (2 weeks or a month is typical).


Unless you have taken both of these steps, neither the Alternative Dispute Resolution nor the County Court route is likely to find in your favour.

By all means use this Forum to seek clarification of technical issues and advice on possible resolutions resulting from Corgi's services, but none of the Moderators or Ninjas has the background or remit to handle issues other than those which OVO itself is directly involved in. Currently that is limited to a marketing offer of a Corgi Contract.

A classic way to fail in a dispute or Court Case is to identify the wrong company as a culprit! It happens surprisingly often.

In this case, effort is best spent checking whether your Contract is with Corgi Homeplan Ltd or Corgi Homeheat Ltd., neither of which is a subsiduary of OVO Energy Ltd.

I've tried to write this clearly enough that the Moderators and other Forum Members can refer others to it hereafter. It isn't comprehensive, but I hope it's useful!



Looks to be pretty informed to me, and hopefully when the writing is put on the wall, Corgi will wake up, see sense and do the right thing by the customer, even it if costs them a boiler!
I was pretty chuffed to see an integrated package with my utility supplier for service cover, and having finally got a smart meter after many false hopes and offers that OVO handled very poorly, I was happy to go ahead and ordered my care plan, thinks were looking like they were on the up!. Reading these comments I may have dodged a bullet however. Sadly, it's a poorly thought out purely profit driven offer if you are anything other than a zero of very low risk customer. When I applied, I was prompted for the age of the boiler at which point I was immediately uplifted by £2 month extra as it was over 7 years old. Fair enough I thought, at least they provide cover. I submitted, got a "we will get back to you page and email" and waited, and waited .. eventually I called. Was told that as the boiler is over 15 years old, they won't cover it at all - so just the same as any over lame service cover .. "didn't you get a call from our partner company?, they help you to buy a new boiler", came the question, "no, I replied" and no email or communication of any sort. No where does it mention no cover over 15 years. The boiler works absolutely fine, and I am sure spare parts are available for a Worcester Bosche unit .. in fact, I have a fried with an identical unit for Oil that was fixed quite recently. This looks like a poor acquisition by OVO as it does nothing to instil confidence in existing customers - if you want to differentiate, do it properly and have a plan for older equipment that is perfectly fine and does not need to be added to landfill unnecessarily. Guess what, they are sending me emails again, "not too late to take up your offer" .. er yeah, nice system guys
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Oh dear @Nickk,

And was the money you'd paid for the Service Cover refunded?

If there really isn't a clause about there being no cover for boilers older than 15 years, then this also comes under the Consumer Rights Act. One of the new aspects of the Act over the original Sale of Goods Act is its inclusion of Contract Terms & Conditions.

It all comes under the definition of Unfair Terms. In your case the test is whether you would've taken out the Service Contract if you knew that your boiler wasn't covered.

As I've said earlier, it is very unlikely that such matters end up in court. Most businesses simply respond properly to a letter/email of complaint.

Reply

    Cookie policy

    We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

    Accept cookies Cookie settings