Solved

New OVO TV advert - Have you seen it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Anyone else just spot the new OVO advert on TV about renewable energy?

Rather hard hitting I found :)

Well done OVO for standing up for 100% renewable electricity!

What did anyone else think who spotted it?

Bumblebee 8)
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 15 March 2018, 14:19

@IAmNotABot

We really appreciate you flagging this. We do have a system in place to make sure our ads don’t show up on any sites they shouldn’t, however sometimes they do slip through.

We’ve made sure this is taken down straight away.

Cheers

Darran

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes I've seen it on the Russian Federation Propaganda broadcaster RT.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
IAmNotABot wrote:

Hi there!

I spotted it oh Sky News :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@IAmNotABot

We really appreciate you flagging this. We do have a system in place to make sure our ads don’t show up on any sites they shouldn’t, however sometimes they do slip through.

We’ve made sure this is taken down straight away.

Cheers

Darran
Userlevel 1
As someone who has serious doubts about the current accepted theories about man made climate change, can I ask if OVO are going to campaign on this? If so, I will switch to a non political energy supplier. I have found OVO to be a good company to deal with, but don't wish to be linked with a political company.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi there Trevor,

Good afternoon :)

The 100% renewable energy is opt in, but its good to have a choice for those of us who do believe in man made climate change, personally I am more concerned by the view I have of London in the horizon and the disgusting brown haze that sits over it every day, with 1 in 6 children where I live having atshma, I think green power and electric veichles has to be beneficial for health reasons.

So its more to do with clean air for me.

Hope you are well today :D

Bumblebee
IAmNotABot wrote:

Russia don't pay my bills - leave it out - it's none of anyones business apart from OVO where and with whom they advertise unless one has shares of course. Knock it on the head please. Politics is rubbish and stirring the pot doesn't help.
One other thing - even if this government told you they were at arms length with say Russia or another so called enemy from old or in the making right now - they would still get our energy from there by hook or by crook. Can we leave it now please.
Userlevel 2
I'm confused by the 100% renewable claim.

In the small print at the bottom of the advert it states that 100% is backed by REGOs. What that means to me is that the supplied energy is coming from the pooled supply that includes a lot of dirty energy. OVOs green component being the 33% that they actually contract with suppliers. The reason I think this is the case is that cost per MWh for REGOs I've been told is scandalously low amounting to between 50p and 100p per customer per year. The very low cost of REGOs implying that although the electricity is generated from renewable sources, once it joins the pool of all energy sources the values of labelling and accounting is minimal. This low pricing will occur when customers on non 100% green tariffs can receive a variable amount of renewable energy.

So is this the case with OVO too? Does OVO contract directly with renewable suppliers for 33% of its non-green tariff customers consumption plus 100% of requirement for those on a 100% renewable tariff or is it 33% renewable plus REGOs for the remainder?
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Hi @NoPoke,

OK. I think I understand your point. But I don't see how it can be any different with the technology we've got available.

I happen to live in an area with lots of Green Electricity available (Solar PV, Wind & Hydro). Since the Grid connections upstream are at their limits, most of this gets used here, within the region where it's generated. But since one electron looks very much like another, how can I complain that this is benefitting the local EDF Blue+ Promise customers who have actually signed up for a tariff which is predominately nuclear based?

OVO is only purchasing MW from generators that either gas (35%) or mixed renewables. Those opting for the 100% Green tariff are wholly satisfied by the two-thirds which is from renewables. The majority of OVO's customers are supplied with the remaining mix, which is still substantially renewables.

This will change in the next couple of years as the UK moves over to Demand Side Response (DSR), which can be offered once SMETS2 meters are being installed.

OVO will have the capability to store electricity from Renewable sources in Home-Batteries and EV's. Their VCharge subsiduary has Stored Charge Management software to facilitate them calling on this capacity to resell to the Grid at a profit (to OVO and the Customer).

Once the public get their minds round this, no doubt we'll then want to redefine our definitions of "100% Renewable Energy".
Bumblebee wrote:

Hi there Trevor,

Good afternoon :)

The 100% renewable energy is opt in, but its good to have a choice for those of us who do believe in man made climate change, personally I am more concerned by the view I have of London in the horizon and the disgusting brown haze that sits over it every day, with 1 in 6 children where I live having asthma, I think green power and electric veichles has to be beneficial for health reasons.

So its more to do with clean air for me.

Hope you are well today :D

Bumblebee

I'm not going to admonish your opinion. My opinion sides with efficiency rather than political alignment and have to agree with earlier posts that relate to such.
Regarding general health especially in cities, the general culprit that is politically aligned with health is climate change but this seems to be misdirection.

80 thousand plus new chemicals and only vaguely tested to receive gras status - general origin is USA since their rules are lax and aids global dissemination and general acceptance and economic viability. results - unknown! but typically deleterious.
1954 introduction of petrochemical based fertilisers literally broke the sulphur cycle -resulted in a 4000% increase in serious health issues. Chemical fertilisers were banned in the 80's in Finland resulting in a reversal of the health trend experienced in most other western countries!
Sulphur (MSM) confers cell permeability and flexibility - inadequate sulphur results in inadequate oxygenation and poor nutrient uptake. Asthma is typically symptomatic of this.
NKP + CaCo3 as fertiliser is really a joke and why over 85% of westerners suffer from mineral deficiencies such as Magnesium deficiency which in turn heralds mineral imbalance. Mg according to many pubmed articles is a regulator of other essential minerals incl' Cu, Fe, Ca and core to more than 3000 known cycles/processes.

The understanding of toxicity in our homes is completely ignored and misunderstood and the prevalence of grossly inadequate nutrition exacerbates this dilemma.
There can be no reliance on authoritarian guidance since they are motivated politically and not morally.

Re: AGW - something colder can not warm something already hotter than itself - END
Co2 is not the enemy - authoritarianism is !
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@ibrown

Goodness you raise some very valid points there! :S

Thank you so much for going to such effort to reply with such a detailed reply! :)

The amount of chemicals we use on this planet is quite alarming to me, they are in everything, and everything, I use chemical free cleaning products in my home, yet cannot find chemical free food or water!

And if pesticides for example have brought our poor Bees to the verge of extinction then what are they doing to us?

Until the world starts changing its habitts and buying Organic and so on authoritarians will reign over us for forever making a great number seriously sick or worse,

Its a sad World.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close