News

Kia and Amazon team up to make charging EV's at home easier

• 15 March 2019
  • 4 replies
Kia and Amazon team up to make charging EV's at home easier
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Check this out, who shops with Amazon?

Do you think this will make EV's more accessible to people?

Maybe one day, you'll be able to buy car's themselves with prime delivery......the future is bright and I guess anything is possible at this point in time!!

Do you think we are likely to see more manufacturers taking advantage of Amazon's huge worldwide reach with consumers?

Read the article here.

credit: engaget.com

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Interesting article about buying EV Chargers from Amazon in the USA.

However, I'm concerned that two of the three options are advertised as being WiFi-enabled. That's a definite security risk.

In the UK I believe that Ofgem and GCHQ have "strongly advised" that grid-connected equipment should be controlled via the Smart Meter and not across the internet.

SMETS2 protocols offer at least 5 Auxillary Load Control Switches (ALCS) to run home-based devices such as EV Chargers, Washing Machines and Storage Radiators. That way, the commands get sent via DCC using a heavily-encrypted link.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Personally I still prefer to interact with the actual company that supplies the equipment not with a giant faceless corporation.

@Transparent my PodPoint charger connects via wifi whereas the OVO SmartCharger I've been trialing has a wired ethernet connection but I assume both are communicating with their respective company server via my internet connection. It may even be that they are communicating via my smart meter but I don't think the smart meter is latest version.

BTW my VW communicates with the VW Car Net servers via mobile network and it's secure enough that even the dealer technicians can not access the car via the Car Net system.

So presumably it would not be that difficult to encrypt the data transfer from the EV charger unit if deemed necessary before the full availability of SMETS2 and DCC encryption.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks @UC Bear - I think we ought to distinguish between the "Smart" devices which employ internet communications in their early iterations, from those that are designed to always operate across the internet. I have no problem with companies rolling out Smart devices which can be used now with internet communications, in the time-frame before we have widespread installations of SMETS2 technology.

I also ought to point out that most devices which will eventually be controlled via an Auxilliary Load Control Switch channel on a SMETS2 Meter, will still have some internet connectivity.

So, for example, if I wish to define the normal weekday routine for my EV Charger, it might look like this:
  • Do not charge between 5pm-10pm
  • Charge when the cost per kWh is less than 10.5p
  • Ensure I have a minimum 50% battery capacity by 7:45am
I might define this rule-set using a touch-screen IHD which sends the parameters to OVO using my in-home WiFi. However, the actual ALCS commands to turn my EV Charger on and off are still sent back to my SMETS2 Meter across DCC's encrypted National Smart Meter Network.

Thus I am protected from a hostile 3rd-party disrupting the UK Energy Supply System by maliciously sending a command to disable all EV Chargers!

Even if my initial set of charging parameters was hacked into by a 3rd party, it is useless until it gets combined with the meter number held by OVO and routed by DCC to my actual SMETS2 meter. Each of these stages would incorporate sanity-checks, capable of filtering out requests which appeared to break my normal life pattern.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Transparent thanks for the update. Very interesting and clear explanation.