News

Free Green Electricity Upgrade

Free Green Electricity Upgrade
Userlevel 5
Badge

We’re practicing what we preach!

In my recent Inside Scoop article I mentioned that we would be putting things into place to attain our shared objective: carbon reduction, thanks for all the engagement@Transparent@NoPoke.

We’re starting our journey here, with over 4000 of our customers benefiting from free Green Electricity for as long as they want it, with us at OVO.

We’ll be contacting eligible customers across the 26th, 29th, 30th and 31st of July to let them know about the upgrade, this will automatically update on your https:// https://my.ovoenergy.com/login account.

This is a no strings attached promotion, that has already been applied to eligible customers accounts.
You don’t need to do anything- we will be sending you details to let you know that you can cancel the upgrade anytime, in My OVO by heading to your profile section.

Change is coming, this is only the beginning.

Have any of you newbies received the free add on?@midge5,@michael peck,@Barney,@calvinorr, let us know what your think.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This is fantastic news @Amy_OVO I cannot wait to see what else OVO will be bringing in the future! If users on here are not already signed up to Green electricity or Green Gas.... Why haven't you? It's for a good cause! Save our planet!
Userlevel 5
Badge
I feel the same @ITGeek123! I'm also looking forward to what to come, there's hope yet. 😊
How come we didn't get offered the free greener energy add-on.? We've been with OVO since almost the very beginning. Surely that make us eligible too !
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hmmm, that's interesting @PeterL - I didn't get the offer either. I just checked My OVO page and it says I can have green elec for £8 /month.

Nor did I get an email alert to say that @Amy_OVO had tagged me in the Lead Article above.

It's possible there's a delay due to me being so far down in the rural Westcountry. Although we have lots of renewable generation down 'ere, I expect Amy sent the message using those nice shiny new electrons from Bristol.
Userlevel 5
@PeterL and @Transparent I'm just checking with the team to see how customers were selected, I'll get back to you as soon as I have an answer! :)

Update 06/08/19 - customers were chosen at random for the Green Electricity upgrade.
And now I learn from the Forum that OVO are dropping their Self Service reward of £30 per fuel per year in favour of lowering the tariff.
As I've just signed up for two more years on the basis of receiving SSR, which just tipped OVO in favour of Octopus, I might reconsider as I'm still in my cooling off period.
When would OVO have informed me of this change?
Userlevel 5
Badge
This wont effect you, @PeterL, if you renewed before the 29th of July.

As @Tim_OVO mentioned in this post:

"So as of the 29th July, the SSR will not be available to add for new or renewing customers. Those that have the SSR on their current contract will continue to receive the credit each quarter until the end of that contract, if they adhere to the principles of the reward."

Hope this helps!
So, I received my invitation to renew on the 30th. July together with my quotations, and renewed within a day or two, so will it looks as though I will no longer receive any SSR from the new contract due to start mid-September.
Nothing was mentioned in regards to the loss of SSR in the renewal paperwork, and I don't know if the quotation I received was at the new, lower tariff in lieu of the ending of SSR.
The £60 SSR had swung me in favour of OVO over moving to Octopus, the current Which? recommended provider, but now, I'm not so sure I'll be staying around, as Octopus is quoting slightly less for a 12m fix, even for 100% green energy......
Userlevel 5
Badge
This is a shame to read, @PeterL, it's worth checking out the quote, please contact our team they'll be able to let you know.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Amy, but I checked the renewal quote on line for my postcode, and it is correct with the renewal invitation sent to me, plus £5 monthly for 100% Green electricity, which the SSR covered.
Now I learn that OVO are in talks with SSE, which further makes up my mind to switch away, so I have no given notice to you that we shall not be proceeding with the renewed contract which
I signed up for on 1st . August, and we shall be switching to Octopus.
Why do Ovo even have an extra charge for renewables? how come your tariff isn't 100% renewable anyway? If renewables are more expencive then how does it work that £5 or £8 charge covers the cost? Surely Ovo either make a profit on this or they loose out? If renewabels are more expensive (their not) then a different unit rate would make sense. Ovo love to preach about reducing carbon etc but still use fossil fuels to generate 67% of their fuel mix. Seems weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I assume that's a typo @hiphopopotamus. The latest set of reported figures show that OVO is using 57% of its energy mix from a non-renewable source (gas).
I assume that's a typo @hiphopopotamus. The latest set of reported figures show that OVO

is using 57% of its energy mix from a non-renewable source (gas).

LOL, I don't think you really understood the point. 43% renewable is still pretty lame and not 100%
And gas is still a carbon emitting fossil fuel unless I'm mistaken.

Other suppliers manage to provide 100% renewable electricity and offset the carbon on gas. I don't really get how OVO don't do this as a standard.
I will be coming to the end of my fixed contract in Oct, am probably going to stay with Ovo and change to another of their contracts , one states that I will receive Green Electricity free of charge for 6months and will then have to pay an extra £5 per month for this privilege, can I decided not to have the Green Electricity as I do not wish to pay any extra.
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OVO also provides 100% Renewable Electricity... provided that you sign up for the Green Option on your Tariff. The figures I was giving were their overall energy mix across all OVO's Tariffs.

It's getting quite difficult for Energy Suppliers to find renewable energy generation.

There's lots more that could be offered from the West Country, where I live. But the Distribution Network has had to place Constraints on almost all Supply Points because there is no more available capacity in wires or transformers or both.

The answer is to install Energy Storage Technology, switch to half-hour variable tariffs, and implement the Demand Side Response strategy which Ofgem is moving us towards,
I am due to renew (or move from OVO). They are offering me free "green energy" for 6 months , then my DD will increase by £5/month after this. The thing is, I don't want it. And if I factor the extra £5 a month I'd be better off switching. Is it therefore compulsory if I renew, or will I be given the option to decline?
OVO

also provides 100% Renewable Electricity... provided that you sign up for the Green Option on your Tariff. The figures I was giving were their overall energy mix across all OVO

's Tariffs.

It's getting quite difficult for Energy Suppliers
to find renewable energy generation.

There's lots more that could be offered from the West Country, where I live. But the Distribution Network
has had to place Constraints on almost all Supply Points because there is no more available capacity in wires or transformers or both.

The answer is to install Energy Storage Technology
, switch to half-hour variable tariffs, and implement the Demand Side Response

strategy which Ofgem

is moving us towards,

I really think your missing my point, My post said "Why do Ovo even have an extra charge for renewables? how come your tariff isn't 100% renewable anyway? If renewables are more expencive then how does it work that £5 or £8 charge covers the cost? Surely Ovo either make a profit on this or they loose out? If renewabels are more expensive (their not) then a different unit rate would make sense." 
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I am due to renew (or move from OVO). They are offering me free "green energy" for 6 months , then my DD will increase by £5/month after this. The thing is, I don't want it. And if I factor the extra £5 a month I'd be better off switching. Is it therefore compulsory if I renew, or will I be given the option to decline?

Hey @raddy59 and @MagsyMay1947

I've moved your posts onto this thread. Did you receive a letter as described above? If so, your Direct Debit amount won't change! You can absolutely opt out after the free 6 months if this isn't something you want to continue with - just give us a call closer to the time to confirm.
My current contract is shortly coming to an end, am thinking of staying with Ovo however will get Green energy for 6 months foc , this then will be charged at £5, can refuse this offer of Green and if so how

Thank you
Why do Ovo even have an extra charge for renewables? how come your tariff isn't 100% renewable anyway? If renewables are more expencive then how does it work that £5 or £8 charge covers the cost? Surely Ovo either make a profit on this or they loose out? If renewabels are more expensive (their not) then a different unit rate would make sense. Ovo love to preach about reducing carbon etc but still use fossil fuels to generate 67% of their fuel mix. Seems weird.

So now with Ovo Beyond if I have a smart meter it only costs an extra £6 to go 100% renewable? thats £3 per fuel then? not the £5 that the upgrade cost?
I still find it confusing, either Ovo is a renewable provider or its not, how can Ovo be stating Zero carbon as a goal when their base produce is still carbon producing? How can renewables cost different prices if I have a smart meter or not? we all use different amounts of energy so how can a set fee cover the cost of renewables if they are more expensive? if its a average fee then does that mean lower users are covering the cost for higher users? thats not really fair?
Userlevel 1
It is 'practising' not 'practicing' in British English.

It is 'practising' not 'practicing' in British English.

:rolling_eyes: