News

Extinction Rebellion protest in Bristol - what do you think?

• 17 July 2019
  • 5 replies
Extinction Rebellion protest in Bristol - what do you think?
Userlevel 5
Badge
It’s taken me an extra half an hour to get home this week, but for the sake of the planet I’ll let it go, Extinction Rebellion has landed in Bristol town centre on a big purple boat.

Check out this post over on OVO newswire on Instagram for more info on the protest and Extinction Rebellion.

In the added time on my route home it lead me to think: What do I do? What can I do? Do I do enough? Am I living as harmlessly as possible?

I posed the same question to the rest of the social team and I’d like to hear of anything you do to try and keep your carbon footprint in check, or if you think we’re too far gone and no amount of effort will make a change to the state of the planet.

There are a lot of scientists that think we’re too far gone and that there is no way to repair the damage done. Take a look at this interesting interview by a somewhat radical scientist James Lovelock.

Sooo what do I do I hear you cry, not enough that’s for sure, but small changes can have a huge impact overall. I try to keep my single use plastic waste to a minimum by using a reusable metal water bottle, I try and keep a canvas bag on me to make sure I don’t acquire another plastic bag and I rarely eat meat.

This is a similar story for @Darran_OVO , @Bradley_OVO and @Tim_OVO . They too all recycle, don’t use plastic straws and try not to consume too much red meat. Tim, Nancy and I don’t drive so there’s that too. @Eva_OVO , is a plastic straw fan and does tumble dry but tries to do her bit, reusing plastic bags and recycling.

The real MVP in the social team in fighting the good fight is our @Nancy_OVO , she is vegan, refuses to use plastic bags and gets public transport or walks/cycles everywhere.

Is there anything that you guys do differently, big or small or not at all?

I’d love to take on some extra tips to help me improve my carbon footprint or hear about why you don’t bother if that's the case!

New users it'd be fab to get a bit of an insight into what you think, @Unhappy helen, @Marlow, @prav, @Rae, @ripalto1, @ChrisMM, @cookleyman 😊

5 replies

Great action ! wish you the best
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Just checked out the Bristol protest for the first time.

As far as I know, it was the last day of the 'event', and I think the atrocious weather today has meant some people have gone home.

Still lots of tents, lots of activists, solid road blocks, and not that much for me to have to deal with. Oh and this pink boat:

A lot of people have been talking about this, and I guess that's the idea. Climate change, ecological breakdown, global warming is happening, and it needs to be a major part of the public debate for politicians to react. We need to ensure they have a mandate to take action.

So maybe it's time to get the pink paint out and make the news.......... @Phil_H what do you think? Are there better ways to get the change we need?
Userlevel 3
I just read the interview(s) of James Lovelock linked by @Amy_OVO .
While he is a bit extreme, I have always been very much in favour of nuclear energy, having read David MacKay's book https://www.withouthotair.com/
David's book proposes that people are scared of nuclear radiation (like some are of insignificant power radio waves), and indeed were encouraged to feel that way during the Cold war. However, medical practice shows that the human body is very good at repairing small bits of radiation damage, so the extreme measures taken to prevent radiation leakage at nuclear power stations are somewhat over the top, and are responsible for making the capital cost so high. Rules could be relaxed and we could all enjoy cheap nuclear energy without polluting the atmosphere.
I also have a friend who is a 'man's effect on climate denier' and have been reading articles which are apparently agreed by many scientists, that man's effect on the atmosphere of CO2 production is very small, and contributes almost nothing to global warming. It's cause and effect arguments. Search on-line for stuff like https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/07/12/journalisms-contribution-to-the-rise-of-climate-alarm/
It's hard to know where the truth lies. I do sort of believe in James Lovelock's ideas that we have probably got past the point where the measures that governments are taking make any difference to what the Earth is doing.
For now I'll just keep driving my electric car, and getting an almost negligible return from the solar panels on my roof, while growing expensive vegetables in my garden and trying to recycle and re-use everything.
Tony
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I agree with much of what Tony has said.

I also think that so far we have made quite small steps and that is easy to do, relatively cheap and does not significantly impact on everyone's lives.

However I think it will be much more difficult to take the big steps. For those who are committed to change or have large enough incomes, the switch for example, to electric cars and new heating without using gas is a relatively easy decision, to get everyone else to change will be much more difficult and I think progress will be slow.

I think it will need huge investment from the government and therefore higher taxes to achieve these targets, that's on top of all the other areas that need more money eg health, social care, education, the police and defence. Its also worth noting that by 2040 25% of the population will be over 65 and probably on a pension so again the government would need to fund or subsidise much of these changes.

Finally we are a small country emitting about 1.2% of the worlds greenhouse gas emissions. Unless China and the USA who between them emit about 40% do much more, our impact on climate change will be insignificant.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_greenhouse_gas_emissions
Userlevel 6
Badge
According to that information, @Phil_H, we need to be lobbying China to stop mass producing plastics and using fossil fuels for everything, rather than simply recycling our household waste and using bamboo toothbrushes.

These changes are granular, compared to the changes that need to be made. It's huge corporations that are bulldozing this planet. Me swapping my plastic bottle of shower gel for a bar of soap isn't going to make an iota of a difference if the plastic bottles are still being mass produced in the first place.