News

EV's won't address traffic jams - what do you think?

• 10 July 2019
  • 7 replies
EV's won't address traffic jams - what do you think?
Userlevel 5
An article from the BBC suggests EV’s won’t solve transport issue. As many of you own EV’s we’d love to hear what you think about this!

@ITGeek123 @Gum168 @Dan W @Absolute Zero @aaronr @Peetee

7 replies

Userlevel 3
The BBC in common with most media commentators rely on others to provide the content which is then used to form the basis of their reports and to say that "EVs won’t solve transport issue”, without describing the issue is nonsense.
If it is being said that EVs alone will not enable the country to achieve its carbon reduction goals then obviously that is right.
In the U.K. we have just one manufacturer, Nissan, of EVs set up for volume production.
It is plainly silly to talk of reducing ICE vehicles within a timeframe in the absence of alternatives.
https://www.theccc.org.uk/tackling-climate-change/reducing-carbon-emissions/how-the-uk-is-progressing/
Userlevel 4
Badge
Autonomous BEVs (ABEVs) will solve most traffic problems. Some 80% of the population will not want to own a vehicle as ABEVs will come when called and then go off to service other clients. There will also be ride sharing to cut costs even further. ABEVs will also be able to travel closer together as they will each know where all other vehicles are with a set radius. This is likely within about ten years if governments authorise ABEV use within the next year or so.

Have a look at Tony Seba's talk on Youtube as he shows clear graphs of the way things are going.
Userlevel 5
Thanks for sharing the link, @Peetee, it was interesting reading! It's crazy that Nissan are the only manufacturer of EV's, what happened to the others? Are they all overseas?

I think you're right about ride sharing, @Absolute Zero!
Userlevel 3
@Eva_OVO

As far as I know other manufacturers aren’t building EVs in the U.K.
A lot of publicity surrounds the Jaguar iPace and many believe it is built in the West Midlands but in fact it is made in Austria by Magna Steyr.
Of course Mini announced yesterday that they will build an electric Mini in Oxford but the announcement appeared to be conditional on the U.K. securing a trade deal with the EU.
Honda will also soon start building their electric car but that will be built in Japan.
Others like Aston Martin, Bentley and Rolls Royce plan to build electric cars but I doubt that wherever they are made very many will be sold.
Then there is Dyson’s, of vacuum cleaner fame, being built in Singapore. Again unlikely to be a volume seller.
The U.K. government can huff and puff about the need for us to buy electric cars but the fact remains we don’t make enough to make a difference to our carbon targets.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Personally I think that using the car's "auto pilot", if it has one, and not constantly trying to override it, will help to prevent those waves of slow traffic that can occur, which then cause traffic problems. With cars all automatically going at a fairly steady speed and predetermined distance from one another, I think the flow will be steadier, more consistent, and even if at times it's slower than speed limit, it should keep going better than when humans inadvertently over or under react to the traffic around them. However, I do think its going to be necessary to set aside an EV only lane until all are electric, and drivers will have to accept the safe gap provided by the tech. No jumping in between cars because the driver feels a need to fill that gap without thinking about the genuinely safer inter car distance. I find that so annoying when drivers do that to me as it causes my car to slow suddenly, which then creates a risk of being rear shunted, because guess what, human drivers grossly underestimate the best safe distance.

All this said, no, evs can't solve the actual traffic volume, but used properly, I believe the tech can aid smoother traffic flow.
Userlevel 3
@Gum168

If the government were serious they could simply lower the national speed limit, instead of giving hope to those that want to increase it.
It worked very well back in the seventies and I would simply "cock a deaf ` un “ to objectors.
Too many folks are just paying lip service in relation to carbon reduction.
It works well on "smart motorways”
Userlevel 3
So I spent some time finding and reading the original report. This is the statement within the long report that drives the BBC headline

"...relying mainly on electrification of vehicles to reach carbon targets can have the consequence of increasing traffic congestion because of the lower cost and lower taxation of electric fuel. This is seen in the DfT Scenario7 above, where 100% electrification has the highest level of traffic growth. "

I do confess that I have not read the whole report it is huge I skiped to the transport section https://www.creds.ac.uk/wp-content/pdfs/CREDS-Shifting-the-focus-July2019.pdf#page=55

The whole report is here I think it will take me days to digest it.