Solved

New OVO website account experience

• 1 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Does anyone think that the new website/account pages is an improvement over the old one? I find that they suffer from unnecessary information overload.The old site was simple and easy to find the really necessary information eg monthly bills were shown in a simple monthly table showing payment and usage charges that enabled quick comparisons by just scanning down now it requires multiple downloads to achieve the same result.
There are other issues that caused confusion as well.
Is this what is called progress or is it done to confuse?
Another point OVO has the highest standing charges of all the energy companies why?
icon

Best answer by Julian_OVO 2 October 2019, 12:06

Hi @Coveyg ,

Thanks for your comments on the new online account, my name is Julian Norman and I am a product lead on the new system, which basically means I work with the teams building the web and app experiences.

With the new homepage we've tried to bring the key pieces of information such as balance, costs, payments, Direct Debit onto the first page you see. I can understand that when first logging in being presented with all this information in a new layout can feel like information overload compared with the previous homepage so we'll see what we can do with the homepage to reduce that initial impact while making the key pieces of information easily discoverable.

In relation to the table showing monthly payment and usage charges, on the homepage there is a section titled "Recent charges and payments". This section recreates that table you mentioned from the previous online account, it includes your payments and costs as well as links to view your costs on another webpage or download them as a PDF.

The table shows the previous two to three months and can be extended by clicking the "Show charge and payment history" button below. It may be that you have only been on the online account for a short time and so this history is short. Your previous statements are accessible at the end of the table or by clicking the "View your statements" link. I'm really sorry that the figures aren't shown in the table at the moment.

I'd be interested to know what you think about the new information included in the table, rather than just total monthly costs and payments we've included balances too. Is there anything you'd like to see or not see on this page or elsewhere in your online account?
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi @Coveyg ,

Thanks for your comments on the new online account, my name is Julian Norman and I am a product lead on the new system, which basically means I work with the teams building the web and app experiences.

With the new homepage we've tried to bring the key pieces of information such as balance, costs, payments, Direct Debit onto the first page you see. I can understand that when first logging in being presented with all this information in a new layout can feel like information overload compared with the previous homepage so we'll see what we can do with the homepage to reduce that initial impact while making the key pieces of information easily discoverable.

In relation to the table showing monthly payment and usage charges, on the homepage there is a section titled "Recent charges and payments". This section recreates that table you mentioned from the previous online account, it includes your payments and costs as well as links to view your costs on another webpage or download them as a PDF.

The table shows the previous two to three months and can be extended by clicking the "Show charge and payment history" button below. It may be that you have only been on the online account for a short time and so this history is short. Your previous statements are accessible at the end of the table or by clicking the "View your statements" link. I'm really sorry that the figures aren't shown in the table at the moment.

I'd be interested to know what you think about the new information included in the table, rather than just total monthly costs and payments we've included balances too. Is there anything you'd like to see or not see on this page or elsewhere in your online account?
Userlevel 2
Regarding standing charges, we feel they are a true reflection of the industry costs incurred to transport and maintain the gas and electricity supply which goes to our customers homes. Other suppliers may integrate a large amount of these costs into unit rates instead of having a separate standing charge, or run at a loss-leading rate subsidised by the higher non-contract rates paid by more long standing customers - often those who are less likely to switch.

We review our prices on a regular basis and have been just as quick to drop our prices in the past when we have seen decreases in commodity cost. This cost reflective pricing sits at the heart of our promise to be fair, transparent and as competitive as possible. You can read more on our standing charges here -https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/pricing/what-are-standing-charges-and-what-else-does-ovo-charge-for.html
Hi @Julian_OVO
You seem to have missed the point of my complaint, yes all the statements are there but have to be downloaded to see them unlike the old site where they were all viewable at the same time. Now to compere statements you download the first one then to view any more you return to main statement list select the next one which promptly deletes the first, most frustrating if you wish to view more than two.

Change from monthly billing to daily billing. The idea seems to be that things will be simpler to understand.. Why not just fix the issue with the smarty meter remote unit… Just set it so that it resets to zero after the monthly bill reading has been taken. This would make it pretty simple, at a glance, to see usage and a prediction of the next bill. No login required!  My previous supplier had it set that why so it must be possible. All the recent changes, I feel, just complicate things, add to that the ‘feedback’ doesn’t work. The ‘’contact us by email or phone’ fails to mention the £14+  charge for doing so makes it all seems a bit of a cynical way of raising money.  Also, the daily charge for energy usage seems to me a straight out way of reducing the interest paid on account surplus.. All a bit rubbish really.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi@lepirate,

I’ve moved your post over here where users have passed on feedback about the new online experience.

It’s worth pointing out that there’s no £14 charge for getting in touch with us. The Self Service Reward means a £15 discount per quarter if a customer manages their account all online. We understand that people need to get in touch from time to time regarding issues they aren’t able to resolve through the website, and we wouldn’t remove the discount if you needed to do this.

Thanks