New online account - is my tariff ending?

• 28 September 2018
  • 11 replies

Just received an email from Ovo informing me I am to be put on the new online account from October 2018.
I am on a fixed all online deal for two years finishing in March 2019.
The new account instead of monthly bills calculates daily using my smart meter then deducts the monies from my account.
The exact wording is “ up to date energy charges applied to your balance based on readings from your smart meter every day “
Apparently they are moving everybody to this account in the next few months.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Jeff77

I think you might have received a similar letter to myself, the letter said that my fixed contract is ending and you'll roll onto our Simpler Energy (all online) plan on 28th November which is when my contract does end. When I queried it with OVO I was told it was wrong. Certainly when I checked the rates they said I was currently paying they were way off the mark. By all accounts and according to OVO customer service those particular figures related to customers on an Economy 7 meter. I don't have an Economy 7 meter myself.

If you are currently on a fixed deal until March 2019 I somehow doubt OVO could end that deal early though you might want to check what it says in your contract letter. When your fixed rate plan is coming to an end, OVO is legally obliged to get in touch with you in plenty of time (42 - 49 days before the end of your contract), to remind you that your plan will finish soon, however I think getting in touch 6 months before hand might be too early in this instance.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Jeff77 - this doesn't mean your tariff is coming to an end. That'll continue until March. This is a new version of your online account.

We’re starting out by rolling it out to customers with smart meters, but we will be extending that to customers with traditional meters next year. It's not compulsory, so you can choose to stick to the current website if you like.

Let us know if you've got any questions about it!
Userlevel 1
I have been using the new online account for the last few days.

It seemed a bit strange that I had to change my password to access it. It was also strange that my DD had to be cancelled and reactivated.

I quite like the new layout and no doubt when it is further populated it will be better than the previous system which was very good!

One problem I have is I am unable to access my latest statement. I had an email yesterday saying it was available but I can only see statements up to the 11th September.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @TeeJay,

Welcome to the forum. Is it still not showing up now?
Userlevel 1
Thanks. The statement for October is now showing on my account.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @Cassie_OVO or @Julian_OVO,

Can either of you help out @TeeJay with his query about a missing statement?
Userlevel 1
The statement showed up a few days after the email telling me it was on my account so I am happy now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sorry, I misread your message!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Cassie_OVO/@Julian_OVO
No need for any help, I misread the reply! The only thing I guess is some feedback about a lag between the email notification of a new statement going out and it appearing on the online account.
Userlevel 2
Hi @teej

I have been using the new online account for the last few days.

It seemed a bit strange that I had to change my password to access it. It was also strange that my DD had to be cancelled and reactivated.

The password reset and Direct Debit changes have been a result of changes to our technology to improve our security and reliability. Unfortunately we were not able to transfer existing passwords over to the new system (which is ultimately a good sign of the security measures in place, although we appreciate it has been an inconvenience to users), and due to how the banking system works some banks notified customers of changes when there was no real impact on the customer i.e. dates and amounts were not changed, but the identifiers of the systems involved in the process changed.

I quite like the new layout and no doubt when it is further populated it will be better than the previous system which was very good!

One problem I have is I am unable to access my latest statement. I had an email yesterday saying it was available but I can only see statements up to the 11th September.

I'm glad you like the new layout. We have focused initially on simplicity with the aim to better understand the needs of customers before we start complicating the site with additional functionality that may not add value. We are learning from the feedback we're receiving and have made improvements to how we show usage data and charges. We've also been carrying out some research into the organisation of information and we'll be rolling out changes over the next couple of months.

With respect to statements, rather than wait until an arbitrary day each month to calculate costs and apply them to your account while generating a statement we will apply transactions as and when they happen i.e. whenever we received a reading from your smart meter we will charge for the energy used since the previous reading.

As all of this information is available on the website and app we will not be producing monthly statements as a PDF file. There are scenarios for which we will generate a "statement" and make them available. I'll be posting a new topic on this subject shortly to explain the details further and invite feedback upon with which we can take action to help customers with their needs.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the reply to my queries.

Look forward to your new post and further information.