Solved

New electric smart meter, why is it not sending any meter readings?

• 6 March 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi,
So I have only recently moved over to OVO, as soon as I could I scheduled a smart meter install, unfortunately the gas meter could not be switched (gas cover was missing, now reinstalled and need to contact ovo to rearrange install), but the electric meter was changed.
The IHD was setup and I can see my usage and costs since install, however on my online account it still shows 0 usage for electric.
So a couple of questions, should there be a delay between install and starting to show online? - FYI it says I can still make manual readings online for electric.
Should I be able to see my usage for every 30 mins online as well?

Cheers
icon

Best answer by Transparent 6 March 2019, 10:15

Yes @pbathuk there will certainly be delays as your new Smart Meter is gradually brought into full operational mode.

Smart Meters do not transfer information directly to any Energy Supplier. They are polled by the Data Communications Company (DCC) using an encrypted link. So DCC will first work on optimising these protocols for your meter.

Once OVO receive the necessary Notification from DCC, they will then download your Tariff data into the meter. Only then will your IHD know exactly what it should be displaying.

It is not uncommon for there to be delays within DCC, out of OVO's control. In the meantime you may be asked to provide a manual reading from your Smart Meter. This doesn't mean that anything is wrong.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Yes @pbathuk there will certainly be delays as your new Smart Meter is gradually brought into full operational mode.

Smart Meters do not transfer information directly to any Energy Supplier. They are polled by the Data Communications Company (DCC) using an encrypted link. So DCC will first work on optimising these protocols for your meter.

Once OVO receive the necessary Notification from DCC, they will then download your Tariff data into the meter. Only then will your IHD know exactly what it should be displaying.

It is not uncommon for there to be delays within DCC, out of OVO's control. In the meantime you may be asked to provide a manual reading from your Smart Meter. This doesn't mean that anything is wrong.
Perfect response. Thank you.
I hope this is the case but there is still this underlying concern that the figures are inaccurate. I am getting average hourly usage of around 13p yet in less than 3 days it shows almost £80 used. Presumably one figure is the most inaccurate so I hope it is the latter of the two. Having said that OVO do seem to be expensive compared to the rest of the market since I joined a year or so ago. Have there been major OVO increases I am unaware of?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @mattbuk33,

In line with @Transparent's advice above, give your Smart meters/ IHD time to sync up and things should look more normal.

It sounds like there has been price increase compared to the initial plan you fixed into, if you fixed in over a year ago. If you have been on our Simpler energy plan, the variable option there have been price changes, which we would have been in touch with about 30 days prior to the change.

I hope this helps,
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for the prompt @Amy_OVO

We've learned a lot more about this subject since I wrote the initial response to this Topic some 3 months ago.

There is in fact a software bug within the code being run by your IHD. The usage figures (in kWh) will indeed be correct once the offsite part of the commissioning has been completed, but you will still experience erroneous costings until OVO find a way to resolve the issue.

I've had no feedback from OVO about the nature of this software bug since it was first highlighted around the end of March. I don't know if it affects all customers who have had a SMETS2 meter installation, or just a proportion. Therefore I don't know if OVO will already know that you require a software upgrade, or if you need to get yourself put on a list.

I think you should play safe and send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com stating that you've got the high-costings error on your Chameleon IHD.

If it is indeed true that the bug resides in the IHD itself, then it's going to be difficult to fix it. There is no SMETS command to update the IHD remotely. So I assume we will all receive replacement units by post (which will require initialising to work with our own Communications Hubs).

I've looked at a number of similar online Forums hosted by OVO's rival Energy Suppliers. I am unable to find any reports of similar issues from those who have had SMETS2 meter installations in the past 3 months, despite those customers confirming that they too have Chameleon IHDs.

As a fellow customer, I too find this frustrating. I'm hopeful @Amy_OVO will read this and see if she can get some feedback from OVO's technical teams which can be posted here on the Forum!
I mentioned this on another thread where @Transparent was enormously helpful and knowledgeable.
I have exactly the same issue
* Smart Meters installed yesterday
* Today my Elec costs on the front screen is 10 times what it should be (virtually exactly if that's possible, at certain points it is increasing at around 2p every 10 seconds), and my gas costs when I toggle are virtually ten times too small to what they should be.
* End result £40 + in about 30 hours on elec and 4p on gas

I shall be e-mailing OVO about this issue but given it gives my brain a workout I'm happy to do the maths at the moment, as long as it rights itself and my bill isn't wrong
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@AdrianG - I received a software download to my SMETS2 Communications Hub sometime after midnight on Sunday/Monday (23rd/24th). Since then my IHD is displaying more reasonable costings.

Have you noticed the same, or is it just me?

More details what I've seen are over here
@Transparent
Well I have just checked again and I can confirm that nothing different has happened to my IHD. I am still showing huge monetary amounts for my electricity whilst the actual underlying meter readings seem correct.

I have also noticed that MY OVO is showing correct daily electricity readings but NOT gas readings, only 1 day since my meters were fitted. I shall keep you and this forum informed if anything changes.